Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The New Lansdowne Road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Thee Owhat? I like The Point and its makeover...
    And I still call it the point....

We are such a stubborn race of people aren't we?! It's only a name after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

Whats in a name? As i have a Marathon bar with my Coffee.

Still they should put a roof on the stadium, the roof could contain the noise for concerts and such I would imagine, and please the residents...maybe

If they put a roof on the stadium then it could cause some problems.

Like Croke Park they are only allowed 3 concerts per year. Why put a roof on for just 3 concerts a year?

Also, the residents would of objected if the new stadium was going to turn into a second much bigger Point Theatre with concerts going on every week.

No way would the IRFU of got planning permission for this as the ground is in such a residential area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

Commercial reasons, the Insruance Company formerly know as Hibernian, will want their name in lights, for as many events as possible will encourage, the IRFU to use it as much as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

to finish the bowl the roof will have to come down, so perhaps they could build a new one then...

won't be anytime soon though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Commercial reasons, the Insruance Company formerly know as Hibernian, will want their name in lights, for as many events as possible will encourage, the IRFU to use it as much as possible
    Stop talking rubbish.

Aside from the fact that the stadium does not need a roof, it's design would not allow for a functional roof to put on it without the height of the north stand being raised which will not happen.

All spectators will be kept dry by the stand roofs and for the few concerts which will be held there each year it's a non issue.

Lansdowne will never be something which will be allowed to be used with any regularity.

What ever happened to JP McManus's €60m donation towards a new stadium? Did he ever cough up? I don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Koloman wrote: »
    What ever happened to JP McManus's €60m donation towards a new stadium? Did he ever cough up? I don't think so!

That pledge was for a national stadium.
    Lansdowne is not a national stadium.

That pledge was for a national stadium.
    Lansdowne is not a national stadium.

Well maybe he can hand over half of it considering it dosen't have a running track or can accommodate a GAA pitch!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

that pledge from JP was also conditional on the naming rights for the stadium not being sold.

that would remove him from the lansdowne rd equation even if it was 100% govt owned

• Advertisement

New aerial and ground shots from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

looks a bit on the small side though should create an intimidating atmosphere if only people could afford to go to games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

good point-wonder will the FAI accept lower gates or reduce the cost to get full houses. The IRFU will be under less pressure in this regard.

Is the ground the property of Lansdowne and the stadium the property of the IRFU or what way does it work?

pajoguy wrote: »
    looks a bit on the small side though should create an intimidating atmosphere if only people could afford to go to games now.

It's the perfect size for soccer. With a capacity of 50,000 it should be full or close to full for most matches. The atmosphere will be much improved.

No more empty windswept spaces like Croke Park! Croke Park kind of worked for rugby but it was rubbish for the soccer games. It was just too big for football.

murphaph wrote: »
    good point-wonder will the FAI accept lower gates or reduce the cost to get full houses. The IRFU will be under less pressure in this regard.
    The FAI have been getting 50,000+ attendances in Croke Park so they'll fill it no problem. They already have all the non premium seats allocated to block bookers with a committed waiting list for seats that will become available. Prices will be the same as Croke Park.
    murphaph wrote: »
    Is the ground the property of Lansdowne and the stadium the property of the IRFU or what way does it work?
    Joint ownership between the FAI and IRFU of the stadium, the land remains the property of the IRFU.

New aerial and ground shots from last week.

hope its just the angle of the photo's but the roof seems to be very intrusive on the view from the top tier in those ground photos.

i've heard rumours that this was the case, even that you cant see the full pitch from some parts of the top deck

if that is the case it is a bloody disgrace. we've waited long enough for a proper stadium for rugby and soccer that they really should get this right

speaking from the experience of being stuck in a quadrant of old trafford on many an occasion, it is an absolute pain in the arse when half of what you can see is metal beams and corrugated plastic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Looking at those photos the roof definitely seems to be obscuring the views of a large number of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I can't see any obscuring of what will be the playing surface?? Which picture?

The glass paneling on the outside looks great.

• Advertisement

ofjames wrote: »
    i've heard rumours that this was the case, even that you cant see the full pitch from some parts of the top deck
    Lets not talk in rumors, only facts.
    Steviemak wrote: »
    Looking at those photos the roof definitely seems to be obscuring the views of a large number of seats.
    As has been asked already, which photo? There is no obstruction from the roof.

Some people are always looking for something to moan about! As the poster above says, facts please!

The glass paneling on the outside looks great.
    I hope it's some sort of self cleaning glass/plastic, but I agree it looks very good. Having lights under it similar to the new stadium in Munich would be nice.

Some people are always looking for something to moan about! As the poster above says, facts please!

Developers themselves are saying it. Is that enough? Its as good as you'll get until its finished unforntunately.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/may/10/roof-at-new-lansdowne-road-may-obscure-views/

Developers themselves are saying it. Is that enough? Its as good as you'll get until its finished unforntunately.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/may/10/roof-at-new-lansdowne-road-may-obscure-views/

The fact is that its a 50,000 seater stadium.
    "The one thing I would emphasise is that I can confirm that there will definitely be 50,000 seats, all with unrestricted and superb views of the pitch."

The article indicates that there are spaces in the stadium where extra seating may be placed but it would be restricted. There is no decision on whether this space will be used for seating. In fact adding extra seating would require additional planning permission - something which has not be applied for.

The key here is:
    DEVELOPERS behind the new Lansdowne Road stadium have admitted that the view from a number of potential seats could be obscured by a low hanging roof but insist no decision has been made on whether tickets will be sold for these seats.

The fact is that under the current granted planning application for a 50,000 seater stadium, 50,000 unrestricted seats are being provided, NONE are obscured by the roof.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The fact is that its a 50,000 seater stadium.

The article indicates that there are spaces in the stadium where extra seating may be placed but it would be restricted. There is no decision on whether this space will be used for seating. In fact adding extra seating would require additional planning permission - something which has not be applied for.

The key here is:

The fact is that under the current granted planning application for a 50,000 seater stadium, 50,000 unrestricted seats are being provided, NONE are obscured by the roof.

If one is looking at an empty stadium with no seats in place, a stadium that will have restricted views, as admitted by all, its impossible to tell where the seats will eventually be. The seats may not be placed in the restricted view areas.

However, my observation is based on the fact that looking at the latest photos I can see that the stadium will have restricted views. Which I am surprised about. Whether or not they will put seats in these restricted areas in unknown. I believe they should have tried to design a stand that could be covered in its entirety with seats but I guess thats no going to be possible here. Most modern stadiums utilise the full stand area to get in as much punters as possible in the limited space. But not Lansdowne Rd.

The fact is not one seat is in place yet. I'll respond again when all 50,000 seats are in place with the facts. And you can then. Until that time there are no facts.

The fact is not one seat is in place yet. I'll respond again when all 50,000 seats are in place with the facts. And you can then. Until that time there are no facts.

Make up your mind.

Talk to you in 15 months.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    has been asked already, which photo? There is no obstruction from the roof.

The one's of the top tier (7 and 8 in the ground shots)

I've attached one of them.

Compare that photo to the two I have attached showing the views from the east quadrant and the top tier of the north stand at Old Trafford. I expect these photos will resemble what we can expect of the view from the third tier at the new landsdowne.

You may well have an 'uninterrupted view of the pitch' - in so far as you can just about see the 4 cornerflags and 2 goals, but you'll have to make do with seeing as much roof as you do pitch. If you cant see that then you're just blind

My brother has 2 season tickets in that quadrant at Old Trafford and i've sat there many times for games. The roof is an absolute pain in the arse and spoils the match experience to a large extent, you feel a bit cut off from events and things are quite claustrophobic.

At least Man U have the excuse that they extended/refurbished Old Trafford piecemeal.

For a new build like lansdowne there is no excuse. I find it a big let down, especially when we've waited 20 years for a proper home for soccer and rugby (and given the rest of the stadium looks so good in fairness).

Thats just my opinion tho... if a low hanging roof doesnt bother you guys then I'm delighted for you. Ye can take the seats up there while ill wedge in pitchside

PS
    Also a bit of concern over on archiseek regarding the obstructed view. But what would a bunch of architects know i suppose...?
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=1944&page=14

two old trafford photo's referred to above attached

• Advertisement

As said you should wait until the seats are in.

Advertisement