Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did You ever vote Fianna Fail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm ashamed to admit that I did......never again.

I see the majority are saying they didn't.......hardly surprising but galling. It's time for people to stop pretending and own up to their mistakes.

They got into government because the majority voted them in.....so most or all of those saying they didn't vote FF either have poor memories or are lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I get what you're saying Audrey, I remember having a meal before the 2007 election with 2 friends of my brothers who were staunch FFers and thought I was mad for voting against them. Jump to after the collapse of the economy and one guy in particular states he was never a FF voter/supporter....funnily enough typical liar FF behaviour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Never have, and can't see myself ever doing so in the future (I guess it depends on how the party changes and who's a member of the party, but that would have to be many, many years in the future. I'd say I'll be long dead by the time that comes around). I might have put them on the bottom of my list back when I did that (probably around 1997 or whenever the election was around then), not sure if that counts as giving them a vote.

I'd love to hear some of the people who voted for FF elaborating a bit on why they gave them the vote, especially those who voted for them in the last election. Just out of curiosity, rather than a witch-hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Never have, and can't see myself ever doing so in the future (I guess it depends on how the party changes and who's a member of the party, but that would have to be many, many years in the future. I'd say I'll be long dead by the time that comes around). I might have put them on the bottom of my list back when I did that (probably around 1997 or whenever the election was around then), not sure if that counts as giving them a vote.

I'd love to hear some of the people who voted for FF elaborating a bit on why they gave them the vote, especially those who voted for them in the last election. Just out of curiosity, rather than a witch-hunt.
    In 2002 I voted for them because of the Peace Process and also because FG the main opposition party was promising lunatic things like:
    Compensating Taxi drivers for the loss of a monopoly they had abused for decades.
    Promising to compensate gamblers for their losses on Eircom shares.
    You see in 2002 there was no real other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I would have thought it rather obvious. That was before the economic crash, or more importantly, the impact of it.

Why on earth would the party of government be punished if the economy was sound (or perceived to be!). When does that ever happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

On several occasions in our short history over 40% of those eligible to vote did so for FF.

FF always had the hint of short cornerism and we all knew it. From the dollars collected by the long fellow, TACA, CJH and so on.

Despite knowing this we voted them into Government several times.

The way this type of corruption prospered needed the help and agreement of the civil service.

The political structure and our civil service structure need to change.
    No sign yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

I'm ashamed to admit that I did......never again.

I see the majority are saying they didn't.......hardly surprising but galling. It's time for people to stop pretending and own up to their mistakes.

They got into government because the majority voted them in.....so most or all of those saying they didn't vote FF either have poor memories or are lying.

Oh look. the usual high horsed catch all telling off from Audrey which she will start backing down from with the highest level of denial and indignance. Fianna Fail rarely got an over all majority so its safe to say that a huge percentage on boards have not voted for them. I have not so please reign in your wagging finger and dont question my memory or accuse me of lying or do so to others on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Once, in the European elections a few years back, I gave Eoin Ryan a fifth preference or something like that - it was more along the lines of preventing Royston Brady from being elected under any circumstances than a pro-FF vote as such. Aside from that, never voted for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I alternated between FF and Lab. My next vote, for what little it is worth, will depend on the mixture of party policies/candidate/property tax next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Am I mistaken but was there not a time when everybody loved Bertie.
    He was a great man and could do no wrong.

Haughtey ws right when he said "He's the man. He's the best, the most skilful, the most devious, and the most cunning of them all."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Never have, never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I voted for FF in 2002, I was only 19 and didn't really have a clue. I voted PD in 2007 with a second pref for FF and when the PD candidate got eliminated my vote went to FF. I voted FG-Lab last election and only put FF ahead of Clare Daly of the SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

sink wrote: »
    I voted for FF in 2002, I was only 19 and didn't really have a clue. I voted PD in 2007 with a second pref for FF and when the PD candidate got eliminated my vote went to FF. I voted FG-Lab last election and only put FF ahead of Clare Daly of the SP.

You don't have to put a number preference beside every candidate, you needn't have given FF or SP a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You don't have to put a number preference beside every candidate, you needn't have given FF or SP a preference.

Yes but bad as they are I'd still prefer FF to SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

It must be said that FG/Labour gave concrete assurances on debt write off.
    Once elected they have done an about face.
    Lies, lack of ethics and corruption.
    No difference between these mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm assuming the OP meant vote as one of their first preferences? I put them on mine farther down the ballot sheet. After all the FG, Labour, Greens and independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I never have, I never will...

I saw Ireland improve under the rainbow coalition, And I associated FF with backwardness and the Catholic Church. My knowledge of History also helped so did my visits to other countries.

First election I voted in was '97.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I did vote for two candidates in FF myself last year as I was only 21 years old. I do certainly regret it as with sink as I didn't have a clue what politics was like. So; in saying that, I never have been a member of any political party of any shape or form.

My constituency is in Dun Laoghaire; So, I had the likes of a selection of some canidates such as Mary Hanafin (FF), Barry Andrews (FF), Eamon Gilmore (Lab), Séan Barrett (FG), Mary Mitchell O'Connor (FG) and Richard Boyd Barrett (PBPA/ULA) to name a few.

However; I do regret voting for them in the last election. I have a fresh memory when I was 18 and voted for Eoin Ryan in the European Elections. I would certainly vote for them again.

At the age I do recall someone saying that 'Nobody Understands Students'. He is most definitely right in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Have been able to vote since 2007. Never voted FF, never will.

Unless Irish politics changes dramatically I may spoil my vote in the next G.E.

I see nobody worthwhile left to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I turned 18 in 2000, so haven't exactly had much of a chance to vote FF, but having said that I have yet to vote for a candidate from that party in any type of election, local or national or European. I just didn't think that they were administering the country in an effective manner. They were throwing money at problems rather than seeking to address, and if the money failed to solve them, they just ignored them and hoped they'd go away. The re-organisation of the HSE is a typical example. It presented a great opportunity to do something of lasting value, and yet they botched it for political experdiency. They were more interested in winning elections than in running the country, and sadly, the people of the country were, on the whole, were happy to go along for the ride. While it lasted. I don't want to come across as a political moraliser, but I do think that people who voted FF in the last two elections should ask themselves why exactly they did so, and consider if the attitudes that led them to do so might have played a part in bringing this country to its current sorry position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Never voted for them, but I could understand why some people might have.
    FF were excellent at hype, spin, populist policies and cult of local personalities. It was quite easy to get sucked in!

The spin wore off and reality has dawned and I think for a lot of people it's a bit like waking up in bed with some awful character you thought was great while drunk and badly lit by night club lights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yes of course I have . But I really can't see the difference in the crowd we have today, maybe not as crooked but I don't think they are pure saints either

So you knowingly and willingly vote for a 'crooked' party. Well done you.
    There is simply NO comparison in how corruption is dealt with in other parties. In FF it was a badge of honour almost and the likes of Pee Flynn and Ray Burke were appointed repeatedly even when their corruption was known by the leadership.
    Somehow you, and people like you are able to rationalise your decisions and don't see the correlation between voting for these people and the state this country is in.
    Sophisticated electorate my arse!:rolleyes:

It must be said that FG/Labour gave concrete assurances on debt write off.

No they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Einhard wrote: »
    No they didn't.

Labours way or Frankfurts way!
    Assurance given in FG manifesto that junior bond holders would be burned.
    Yes they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Yes, I voted for Micheál Martin in 97.
    It only started to become apparent that they were destroying the country in 2005 tho.

In hindsight, I should not have been allowed to vote back then and right up until 2009, I had zero political education/understanding up until then - like the vast majority of the population currently do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

FF has been a party of sleaze and corruption long before the mid 00s.

Labours way or Frankfurts way!
    Assurance given in FG manifesto that junior bond holders would be burned.
    Yes they did!

Neither FG nor Labour stated in their manifestos that they would burn bondholders. Some individual candidates made off the cuff remarks along those lines that they shouldn't have, but neithe party claimed that theyt would seek anything other than to renogitiate the deal FF signed with the troika. It's your perogative to exercise your mandate based on the remarks of a tiny minority of candidates rather than a considered assessment of the party position, but you shouldn't then claimt o be surprised when your expercations aren't delivered upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

lugha wrote: »
    I would have thought it rather obvious. That was before the economic crash, or more importantly, the impact of it.

Why on earth would the party of government be punished if the economy was sound (or perceived to be!). When does that ever happen?

Because the policies of that party were promising everything to everybody: a cursory glance at them would see that they were illogical.

And on top of this, the rampant corruption that constantly afflicts this particular party (more so than the others).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Because the policies of that party were promising everything to everybody: a cursory glance at them would see that they were illogical.
    They were largely delivering to everyone. At the height of the boom there was enough money swilling around to enable them to do so.

And in any case, when were the Irish electorate, or any other one, wise enough to realize that pre-election political promises are not necessarily honoured?
    And on top of this, the rampant corruption that constantly afflicts this particular party (more so than the others).
    There was some corruption and certainly is was tolerated more in FF than other parties. But its contribution to our current crisis is grossly overstated.

Had FF been a squeaky clean, ethical party I think we would be largely in the same place now as we currently are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Oh look. the usual high horsed catch all telling off from Audrey which she will start backing down from with the highest level of denial and indignance. Fianna Fail rarely got an over all majority so its safe to say that a huge percentage on boards have not voted for them. I have not so please reign in your wagging finger and dont question my memory or accuse me of lying or do so to others on here.

If I were trying to act high and mighty I'd have tried to deny that I voted FF but there's no point in lying. I have no intention of backing down from anything.

They were voted in by the majority whether you like it or not. Perhaps you didn't vote them, but many of those claiming they didn't have to have done so or FF would not have been in government for 17 years.

It's not high and mighty finger wagging.....it's the truth, it's logic.

Advertisement