Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Lara_15 wrote: »
    We havent really covered enough english poets, and I think i need to teach one to myself, I'm doing dickinson, heaney and plath but I feel like I need one more.
    I prefer to write on technique rather than theme, any suggestions which one I should do ??

WTF??? That's horrendous teaching. At this stage id go with someone who is likely to come up tbh. Maybe yeats(although hes difficult at times) or larkin (dunno much about him besides that hes likely enough to come up)
    At least you have Dickinson and Heaney, theyve got a good chance

There were opinion questions on horse meat and the gathering last year
    PRAYING the world cup comes up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

I'm not bitching or moaning but I don't know where else to ask this: does anyone know if their courses will go up or down points wise? kinda freaking out bc if my course goes up by even five points I'm not gonna get in 😠sorry for being so random but ye

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

we sort of half covered larkin in class but we've never done any questions on him, (or heaney besides the mock) but I really don't like him, I might give years a try, thanks :)

FudgeBrace wrote: »
    I'm not bitching or moaning but I don't know where else to ask this: does anyone know if their courses will go up or down points wise? kinda freaking out bc if my course goes up by even five points I'm not gonna get in 😠sorry for being so random but ye

If you look on the cao website they have statistics up and you can see how many applied for the general area your course is in and weather its up or down from last year, that should give you an idea of demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

We havent really covered enough english poets, and I think i need to teach one to myself, I'm doing dickinson, heaney and plath but I feel like I need one more.
    I prefer to write on technique rather than theme, any suggestions which one I should do ??

Please don't worry about predictions - I know everyone's going on about them but this year is so predictable that there's bound to be a couple of nasty shocks a la Plathgate 2012.

I'd recommend Bishop - yes, she came up last year but that doesn't make any difference. Plenty of techniques to write about regarding her work; she's very visual and a lot more palatable than Plath (in my opinion anyway). Yeats is grand if you have the time and mental capacity but at this stage in the year I'd be trying to make things easier for myself and picking another woman - that way you have all the women covered and should feel relatively secure.

You poor soul - isn't it mandatory that all teachers cover at least 5 poets? I know we did Heaney, Kinsella, Yeats, Plath, Bishop, Dickinson, Mahon and Larkin as an unseen study. Best of luck!

anyone have an approach for tackling home ec short questions

If you look on the cao website they have statistics up and you can see how many applied for the general area your course is in and weather its up or down from last year, that should give you an idea of demand

Oh that's fab thankyou very much

Anyone doing the Nation States and International Tensions book for History? I'm freaking out because I've only got 5 topics covered...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

FudgeBrace wrote: »

I'm sorry but if you have an attitude like this in life you are destined for failure. I had thoughts like this last year and now I'm repeating. All you can do is try and achieve as many points as possible and stop saying 'I'm going to get X amount of points' just try and get as high a grade as possible in every subject you do.

Anyway this link shows the amount of applications for various types of courses. If applicant numbers are up from last year, your course MAY rise, if applicant numbers are down, it may fall. Just remember these statistics don't necessarily tell us a lot. For exampe, if you want to do business in UCD don't panic that there is a rise in applicants. Firstly, that rise may be down to more people applying for business courses in IT's. Secondly, the standard of students applying for business courses may go down. There are so many variables that influence what points a course is meaning there are rarely massive jumps from one year to the next.

http://www2.cao.ie/app_stats/pdf/appstats01feb2014.pdf

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if you have an attitude like this in life you are destined for failure. I had thoughts like this last year and now I'm repeating. All you can do is try and achieve as many points as possible and stop saying 'I'm going to get X amount of points' just try and get as high a grade as possible in every subject you do.

Anyway this link shows the amount of applications for various types of courses. If applicant numbers are up from last year, your course MAY rise, if applicant numbers are down, it may fall. Just remember these statistics don't necessarily tell us a lot. For exampe, if you want to do business in UCD don't panic that there is a rise in applicants. Firstly, that rise may be down to more people applying for business courses in IT's. Secondly, the standard of students applying for business courses may go down. There are so many variables that influence what points a course is meaning there are rarely massive jumps from one year to the next.

http://www2.cao.ie/app_stats/pdf/appstats01feb2014.pdf
    Wow destined for failure that's lovely, getting 540 is wishful thinking for me and english and film is 535 and I'd say it will go up. I get that whole positive thinking = positive results shabang, and I mostly do think optimistically. Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I think he means way you said you "won't" get in if it goes up a measly 5 points. You've no idea what way things will go, you could get 50 points more if your exams go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Accounting peoples, do you know if you lose marks in final accounts for not splitting your expenses into admin and selling&distribution in profit and loss? My teacher never told us to divide them, so just wondering does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

I'd do Bishop. She's easy enough and at least then you would have the 3 women. I would know the names of the poems of another though if you're banking on the others-Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Is anyone doing Division and Realignment book in History? I think my school is the only one doing it :(

Need predictions

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Accounting peoples, do you know if you lose marks in final accounts for not splitting your expenses into admin and selling&distribution in profit and loss? My teacher never told us to divide them, so just wondering does it matter?

I've always divided them since I lost marks in Christmas exams of 5th year. Not sure if it matters for sole trader but definitely counts for company/manufaturing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

SChique00 wrote: »
    I've always divided them since I lost marks in Christmas exams of 5th year. Not sure if it matters for sole trader but definitely counts for company/manufaturing :pac:

Thanks I think I'll just divide them to be safe :pac:

You poor soul - isn't it mandatory that all teachers cover at least 5 poets? I know we did Heaney, Kinsella, Yeats, Plath, Bishop, Dickinson, Mahon and Larkin as an unseen study. Best of luck!
    what do you mean you did larkin as an unseen study?

LoveLamps wrote: »
    what do you mean you did larkin as an unseen study?

I mean we looked at him in the context of an unseen poet - answered questions on his poetry in that way, but didn't really study him as in-depth as the other :o

I mean we looked at him in the context of an unseen poet - answered questions on his poetry in that way, but didn't really study him as in-depth as the other :o

Whats the point in that?

• Advertisement

Whats the point in that?

We got to practise unseen poetry-style questions, while also giving him a trial run in case anyone in the class wanted to study him.

I found it useful... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Poliana.xo wrote: »

Yes, you definitely need to divide them. You'll lose 2x1 marks minimum if you don't have separate headings in the P+L account. It shows this as a penalty on the marking scheme.

Ugh, this talk of Plath in 2012 makes me think I should do more than just Dickinson and Yeats. Might have a quick look at Bishop just as a back up, and even then I'm not guaranteed of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

robman60 wrote: »
    Ugh, this talk of Plath in 2012 makes me think I should do more than just Dickinson and Yeats. Might have a quick look at Bishop just as a back up, and even then I'm not guaranteed of course...

What happened in 2012?

I'd suggest Larkin over Bishop tbh, his poems are relatively straightforward whilst Bishop prefers to write novellas and call them poems. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Please at least know the names of poems of 5 poets and read through them. As someone with experience, not knowing a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th poet makes you so nervous on the morning which will lead you cramming one in and i don't think cramming a poet can be done very well.

On that note, does anyone who types their poetry essays know how many words 4 pages is? Only typed because its faster but now I feel like I'll have to write it.

Personally I hate Heaney but he's my backup. Be ridiculous not to do him.
    And if worst comes to worst I dont think I'll mind too much. People are saying 'oh everyones gonna do him and it'll be marked super hard' etc are crazy.
    Pretty much all the "stronger" students are planning on avoiding him and I'm almost sure a lot of the weaker students and especially the "not bothered" students will do him to avoid studying more poets in depth.

I know Heaney's not a cert but i'd put a hefty bet on it

oncex wrote: »
    Please at least know the names of poems of 5 poets and read through them. As someone with experience, not knowing a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th poet makes you so nervous on the morning which will lead you cramming one in and i don't think cramming a poet can be done very well.

On that note, does anyone who types their poetry essays know how many words 4 pages is? Only typed because its faster but now I feel like I'll have to write it.

Just did a word count on a plath essay I did, never wrote it out so I don't know how long it is written, it is 1555

I got a B1 (which is v good by my standards, cos english is one of my worst subjects)

On another note, im thinking off dropping down to 4 poets.
    Yeats/Dickinson(my preferences)/Heaney and either Mahon or Bishop, I think Bishop as I find Mahon ridiculously stupid and in turn difficult a lot of the time

Anyone got any thoughts/advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Personally I hate Heaney but he's my backup. Be ridiculous not to do him.
    And if worst comes to worst I dont think I'll mind too much. People are saying 'oh everyones gonna do him and it'll be marked super hard' etc are crazy.
    Pretty much all the "stronger" students are planning on avoiding him and I'm almost sure a lot of the weaker students and especially the "not bothered" students will do him to avoid studying more poets in depth.

I know Heaney's not a cert but i'd put a hefty bet on it

That's an interesting point and probably correct. I know a lot of the people in my year are almost completely depending on Heaney whereas the better students are choosing the poets they prefer. I might just do Heaney because I find his poetry pretty easy and he's so likely to come up.

On another note, im thinking off dropping down to 4 poets.
    Yeats/Dickinson(my preferences)/Heaney and either Mahon or Bishop, I think Bishop as I find Mahon ridiculously stupid and in turn difficult a lot of the time

Anyone got any thoughts/advice?

I think that out of the 3 girls dickinson is most likely because the other 2 came up last year, and if they dont put her up they would put plath up before bishop cos theyre a bit funny about her. So I would do her over bishop and definately over mahon. Just my opinion though

• Advertisement

I think that out of the 3 girls dickinson is most likely because the other 2 came up last year, and if they dont put her up they would put plath up before bishop cos theyre a bit funny about her. So I would do her over bishop and definately over mahon. Just my opinion though

Ive decided im definitely not doing Plath hate her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement