Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fas Software Tester course?

• 11-10-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, everyone, I’m not sure if this is the right place for this?cool.png

I’m currently unemployed and have applied for a place on a FAS software tester course in Baldoyle, which starts at the end of Oct 13. I was wonder if anyone else has already completed the course and what they thought of it, or did it actually help them get a job?

Also, are there any jobs in it at the moment or is software testing even a good career path?

I'm asking because of my own personal experience is that some of these types of course can be a complete waste of time and effort.

Just a brief background about me. I've unfortunately or fortunately just entered in my early 50s, which recruitment companies seem to now love, like hole in the head. I have a number of years under my belt in IT sales (which, I hate) and have a (level 8) FETAC CPD award in Digital Media (which I gained last year). I also have a BTEC H.N.D. in Information Technology gain in the uk some 20 odd years ago.

I'd really like to retrain and-skill myself into something like Q.A. (software testing).

I am a strong believer in the wisdom of crowds, so, any help or guidance here would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I am a strong believer in the wisdom of crowds

That's your first mistake :p

I work in a multinational software company writing J2EE enterprise level applications.

Typically you'd need a degree, a good knowledge of databases & SQL, application servers like WebSphere, JBoss and/or WebLogic and automated testing tools like Silk or Selenium.
    That's just to give you an idea with a large software house might require.

Smaller web development companies probably won't need as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

Typically you'd need a degree, a good knowledge of databases & SQL, application servers like WebSphere, JBoss and/or WebLogic and automated testing tools like Silk or Selenium.

I work in a large software company and i don't agree with all of that. I'm sure its varies from company to company but where i work the testers are expected to know very little about databases or application servers. We have a configuration team who set up our test environments and the testers just need an excellent knowledge of our products so they can write test scripts and test the various functionality. The do need to have knowledge of testing tools alright for automatically testing web services and the like but im sure this would be covered bu the fas course.

The problem remains that it is going to be very hard to get a job as a software tester when your competing with individuals with IT degrees. I'm sure there are companies that would go you a chance if your willing to start at an entry level. A lot of the knowledge required for software testing jobs are company specific with most of the learning occurring on the job. Im sure you could get an entry level software testing job with a fas course if your determined to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I work in a multinational software company writing J2EE enterprise level applications.

FWIW that doesn't match my experience from interacting with the QA guys as a developer.

YMMV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

ChRoMe wrote: »
    FWIW that doesn't match my experience from interacting with the QA guys as a developer.

YMMV etc.

Had to do two Google searchers to see what you were saying there, im so out of touch!!

Had to do two Google searchers to see what you were saying there, im so out of touch!!

I did just consider that after I pressed submit, sorry about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

There's functional testing and then there's technical testing. What you're saying is only true for the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Pfft, I'm with ChRoMe on this. I can't think of many test team members I have come across with that level of knowledge. I have worked in multinationals where the functional testers were the people who refused to take voluntary redundancy. The consultancy company testers I know wouldn't have that level of knowledge; not remotely close in fact.

OP, there is test work out there and you can make a good living doing it. I would urge you to focus on the technical side of testing. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kennykenken1

Thanks everyone for your help and replies.

The wisdom of crowds it seems!smile.png

I've been reading a whole load of different views and articles online, regarding software testing and testers. There seems to be a very wide variety of different opinions and thoughts regarding exactly what abilities and skills are needed to make a good software tester are these days. They all basically say that you need the basic core software tester skills and soft skills, including really good communication and people skills, as we know the world is full of fragile egos which always need to be massaged.

Anyway, on different blogging sites people's opinions varied widely and argued to what technical skills people required; they only really agreed that you really needed are good SQL skills. Some express the thoughts, that you should have and be strong developer / language skills as well as have testing abilities, for example for automated testing etc. While others countered with various arguments like time and focus, and that if you want to be a developer then you should really concentrate on being a developer, and not a tester.

It was even expressed by a number of people that companies tended to fall between two types of camps, they either value testing as a separate and as a highly valuable skill set that enables them to get their product to market, or they thought of the process could be done by junior developers, "one of their own" as someone comment. Everyone wants the same successful out come, but it's just how they get there in the end and how they approach it, I guess

I suspect that there is truth in all of the above arguments and each of their points of view, and probably a heck of a lot in between. It could also be like the old saying goes, "horses for courses". However, I noticed that a lots of the job adverts for software testers (Q.A.) seem to be asking for people with software language skills. I was wondering if that is the current trend, or is it that employers in the current climate can ask for a ton of things and skills that they may or may not even require?

I don't mind learning whatever language(s) or skill that is required. I always like a challenge, I once successfully built my own desktop PC from scratch, from parts that got over the internet. I just to see if I could do it. I liked the challenge!

It's all bit of food for thought at the moment I guess, and I''ll worry more about it maybe when I've completed the course.

PS. On the course we have to organise our own 4 week unpaid internship around March 2014. So, if anyone knows someone, or a company that might like to take on a software-tester intern , for a 4 week period, and at no financial cost to themselves (in and around the central or south Dublin area), then please let me know. Thanks.

PS. On the course we have to organise our own 4 week unpaid internship around March 2014. So, if anyone knows someone, or a company that might like to take on a software-tester intern , for a 4 week period, and at no financial cost to themselves (in and around the central or south Dublin area), then please let me know. Thanks.

I may know of a place, private message sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 moufty

The new company called soft test training starting course from 2nd of September 2017 . Seems to be very interesting course with practical knowledge based.

• Advertisement
Advertisement