Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

I'm not looking to sell mine but notwithstanding that there are 10000 of them it will always be regarded as the coin with the 'error' and for that reason will have an added interest and demand above and beyond a normal 10000 mintage or a coin without an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The global coverage the error received will give this coin a higher lasting profile than coins of similarly limited mintage. Joyce's global appeal likewise. At this point in time, given that they were still on sale the previous working day, it's obviously impossible to state definitively that 'they are being hyped' or that 'the hype is over'. I've already stated I expect them to end up attaining prices in the region that the Collins coin does, but my guess is no better than anyone else's. It'll be clearer in a month or two I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Hi Everyone. What's a Collins Double set selling for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Around €250 to €300 mark i think...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

I was quoted 290 from a dealer a few days ago,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Thanks Backfire...where's the best place to sell these. I have 2 double sets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Thanks Backfire...where's the best place to sell these. I have 2 double sets?

Adverts or ebay is always a good start.

Any chance anyone knows the name of the English dealer opposite the An Post stand at the April Fair. He had a large selection of Gold coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

corkcoins wrote: »
    those on adverts are at 120€ now while some are going on ebay ranging from 50€. wonder if the hype has died out.
    The eBay prices are still strong. About nine coins up there, attracting bids with prices looking like they'll be in the range of €130 to €150.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=james%20joyce%20silver&_sop=1

Like folk say, no way of telling the long-term value.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Well i got my joyce coin in the post yesterday, cert number 06512

I do predict demand for the JFK double set and a very limited mintage.

Can anyone confirm if the Dublin coin fair issued an unc & proof souviner set in 2007. And if so did they do this for any other of the proof set years like 2006, 2009 & 2012

That was some fast typing. Very helpful list. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

hexosan wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the Dublin coin fair issued an unc & proof souviner set in 2007. And if so did they do this for any other of the proof set years like 2006, 2009 & 2012

They had a load of proof coins in capsules left over from the 2007 sets with no boxes so they did a run of 2,500 (I think) coin fair only proof sets in envelopes for 25 Euro.

MasterSun wrote: »

It looks as if prices are beginning to fall back, latest I seen on Ebay was 117€, so its looks like the early days of hysteria are fading when I seen pieces were fetching over 200€. I also notice that the buyers paying big bucks are in the main, buyers with little feedback, perhaps buyers who want to hoard for a few months in the hope of making a quick profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keaysj

Hi All,
    Have the values of Irish coins (collectables) been affected by the recession? If so, can you give any examples?
    Thanks,
    John.

signostic wrote: »
    It looks as if prices are beginning to fall back, latest I seen on Ebay was 117€, so its looks like the early days of hysteria are fading when I seen pieces were fetching over 200€. I also notice that the buyers paying big bucks are in the main, buyers with little feedback, perhaps buyers who want to hoard for a few months in the hope of making a quick profit.

It'll be a few months before the price settles down finally, I expect. When some of them start making their way into the hands of European and British coin dealers, you'll begin to get a sense of the longer term value. I now think they'll settle higher than the Collins coin, which is found widely for c. 85 euro. Possibly around the 110-130 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keaysj

Is the fact that the Joyce coin has an 'error' in it going to influence the price? The error was known before release, so I'm not sure if it is an error in the strictest sense...

On a other note, I am new to this game. Are there places in London ( where I live) that I can go to to buy coins? Has anyone recommendations?

I would like if someone could give an opinion on the impact of the Irish recession (or recession in general) in Irish coin values over the past 6-7 years.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    If anyone spots any errors or knows of any additions, give me a shout and I will update the table.

I believe there are at least 3 types of official Irish 2002 euro coin set.

Type A - part of a 12 country box set
    Packed by the Staatliche Muzen
    251590.JPG

Type B - in CBI folder
    251592.jpg

Type C - Royal Dutch Mint
    251595.JPG

keaysj wrote: »
    Is the fact that the Joyce coin has an 'error' in it going to influence the price? The error was known before release, so I'm not sure if it is an error in the strictest sense...

On a other note, I am new to this game. Are there places in London ( where I live) that I can go to to buy coins? Has anyone recommendations?

I would like if someone could give an opinion on the impact of the Irish recession (or recession in general) in Irish coin values over the past 6-7 years.

If the coin had been withdrawn with a small number already sold, then of course the ones that "escaped" would be worth an enormous amount but all were released and there is 10,000 of them out there, nevertheless it was going to be popular coin anyway.
    As regards coin prices, as in all things here at the moment I`m sure coin sales have also felt the cold winds of recession but quality and rarity would I believe hold values quite well.

As for London, cannot really help you but if you can pick up a copy of the magazine Coin News it has lots of info and ads on dealers in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I must say im delighted with the James Joyce coin, its a beautiful design, it almost makes the Michael Collins coin look crude by comparison!

I hope its not a silly question, but are the silver coins solid silver all the way through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I must say im delighted with the James Joyce coin, its a beautiful design, it almost makes the Michael Collins coin look crude by comparison!

I hope its not a silly question, but are the silver coins solid silver all the way through?

The Irish collector coins are made of Sterling Silver. Sterling Silver is an alloy of 92.5% Silver and 7.5% Copper. The reason for this is that 100% Silver is very soft and can get damaged very easily, also it tarnishes rapidly. So by adding some Copper it significantly increases the chances the coin will have a long shiny life.

Most of the Silver Irish collector coins weigh 28.28g which means they actually contain 26.16g of Silver or 0.85TOz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

MasterSun and anyone else,

Does anyone have any information on the 2002 set you have shown above as Type A?
    I have seen this set a couple of times but I didn't count it as official as I thought it was released by a German company wheras, I have only been counting sets that were released by the Central Bank. However the set you have shown does have a Central Bank logo on it, so perhaps it is official. I have certainly seen many different unofficial ones. So if anyone knows anything more about this Type A set I would be interested to hear.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

If that's from a 12 country box set released for the German market then there's probably other box sets for other countries which may also carry the official Irish CB logo. I have seen similar ones from Spain but didn't take notice of logos.

Staatliche Muzen not only packed type A set, it also packed the 2002 €1 Coin Set.

Quote from the CBI website on the €1 Coin Set
    €1 Coin Set
    To meet the demand from collectors the Central Bank of Ireland, along with the other European Central Banks, produced a “€1 Coin Set”. This set comprises one of each of the €1 coin for each of the original twelve countries.

Given the type A set and the 1 euro set were packed around the same time and by the same company, it is extremely likely that the type A set was produced for the same purpose as the 2002 1 euro set, hence the 12 country box set.

Not 'solid' silver in the sense of pure silver, but 'sterling' silver, ie 92.5% silver. You can get pure silver coins, to the purity of 99.99%, from places like the Royal Canadian Mint, as well as from private mints, but such coins tend to come encased in plastic capsules to avoid oxidisation, tarnishing and damage. In other words, they can't be handled if you wish to preserve their value.

Any chance one of the Mods could move the tables supplied by DMcL1971 to the beginning of the thread. Would be helpful for anyone looking for them.

On another note does anyone know the approx price of the Croatian version of the 2007 Ivan Mèstrovic double coin set. This set was in a different colour box to the Irish version.

Any chance one of the Mods could move the tables supplied by DMcL1971 to the beginning of the thread. Would be helpful for anyone looking for them.

Right, I've merged DMcL's 3 tables to the first post. Hope I didn't make a mess of anything, if anything needs to be changed let me know!

• Advertisement

On another note does anyone know the approx price of the Croatian version of the 2007 Ivan Mèstrovic double coin set. This set was in a different colour box to the Irish version.

The same as the Irish one, 200 to 250.

Advertisement