Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on Laptop Purchase

• 21-02-2011 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey

I'm looking to start a course in Game development, and I'm going to need to buy a quality laptop, the problem is, however I don't know an awful lot about hardware. I'd like to get a custom laptop, but I lack the knowledge to do so.I'm not even sure what my price range should be.

Anybody know some good specs for a laptop and a site that makes cheap custom laptops?

Any help is Appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

If you're going to be involved in gaming, you'll need a fast processer, like an i5 and a good graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Sli Nvidia graphics are your friend.. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gtaking113

Try to look for a computer with a quad core processor preferably an i5 or and i7 dell have brilliant sales on now and again or you could build your own desktop.If you choose to go down the DIY route than source your hardware online as it is much cheaper.I would recommend at least 4gb of ram if not more.I have a gaming laptop which is quite powerful but is is very prone to overheating so make sure you equip it with a good fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Divine will

gtaking113 wrote: »
    Try to look for a computer with a quad core processor preferably an i5 or and i7 dell have brilliant sales on now and again or you could build your own desktop.If you choose to go down the DIY route than source your hardware online as it is much cheaper.I would recommend at least 4gb of ram if not more.I have a gaming laptop which is quite powerful but is is very prone to overheating so make sure you equip it with a good fan.
    Cool thanks, but as I said before, I'mnot very tech savy, is there any sites that build the laptops for you?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cool thanks, but as I said before, I'mnot very tech savy, is there any sites that build the laptops for you?

What budget do you have? Even if you're not sure what you budget you have please try and give us a ballpark figure. The kind of laptops people are mentioning are going to cost upwards of 1000.

There are sites that will do this to some extent but it's probably not necessary and it's inevitably expensive.

• Advertisement

this would probably do the job if you are on a budget. core i3 with reasonable dedicated graphics card. unless you are going to be producing a 3d hd fps like crysis you would do fine with this I would imagine.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5741G_971095.html

about €550 or a bit more delivered

or here's an even better one - better graphics card and a really nice very high resolution screen. toshiba too which is a solid brand.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_L670-14M_1040587.html

assuming that you can get the cashback deal from Ireland that's great deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Divine will

glasso wrote: »
    or here's an even better one - better graphics card and a really nice very high resolution screen. toshiba too which is a solid brand.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_L670-14M_1040587.html

assuming that you can get the cashback deal from Ireland that's great deal
    That model looks prefect for what I'm going to be doing, like you said I'm not going to be making anything crysis styled (at least not in the first year) so this should suit me down to the ground.

Thanks everybody, you've all been a great help

Advertisement