Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spreading lime on land

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

JohnBoy wrote: »
    We need to put out 2t of lime to the acre, what's the story with grazing afterwards? Is it ok once the first shower of rain falls or does it need to left wash in for a while, or should it be left all winter?

I suppose I'm asking do I have to wait until the ground is closed for the winter or could I spread away if ground conditions came right.

Any thoughts??

I put them straight back in with no bad consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Does anybody remember the good old days, spreading slag, instead of lime:D
    You would be like a negro after it!

Didn't know you could still get it ..... http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/fertilisers/3984211

Old guys, had great belief in it to "sweeten", the grass:P

Interesting... Anyone here ever use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

JohnBoy wrote: »
    We need to put out 2t of lime to the acre, what's the story with grazing afterwards? Is it ok once the first shower of rain falls or does it need to left wash in for a while, or should it be left all winter?

I suppose I'm asking do I have to wait until the ground is closed for the winter or could I spread away if ground conditions came right.

Any thoughts??

My opinion (not based on experience or any facts, just my thinking) ;)

I'd wait for it to be rained in at least... so its taken into the ground. I don't think it would do anything any harm. But its for the soil, so I would have thought its better for it to get to the soil, and do its job, rather than have to go through an animal to get to the soil (if it was still on the grass)

Again - just my opinion... Could be totally wrong here... ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That super slag is now being shipped in bulk into Waterford, quoted mid fifties delivered not spread 70 miles from Waterford , if a tonne has the same neutralizing effect as a tonne of lime + 40 units of P and trace elements it might be ok don't think its as concentrated as the old slag though .

The lad on done deal put up a post advertising on here last week and the mods scrapped it straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lottos owner

I paid 18euro / ton for lime the start of this year, for 40 tons, this was from a well known supplier in Cork.
    I found another place that will deliver it for 15euro/ton, this is from another quarry, not sure what this is like now, havent heard anything about it only price...
    where was the 15 euro a ton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TalkingBull

That super slag is now being shipped in bulk into Waterford, quoted mid fifties delivered not spread 70 miles from Waterford , if a tonne has the same neutralizing effect as a tonne of lime + 40 units of P and trace elements it might be ok don't think its as concentrated as the old slag though .

The lad on done deal put up a post advertising on here last week and the mods scrapped it straight away

anyone had slag spread/delivered? was there much response from grass? im guessing its in bulk loads its delivered same as lime..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

emmemm wrote: »
    if you know somone with a lorry considerable savings can be made.

Yeah, they'll draw it for half price, the same goes for silage contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

anyone had slag spread/delivered? was there much response from grass? im guessing its in bulk loads its delivered same as lime..

Spread it earlier in the year, noticed grass growing through the rushes.
    Bought it in 50kg bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Farrell wrote: »
    Spread it earlier in the year, noticed grass growing through the rushes.
    Bought it in 50kg bags.

7 years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

7 years later?

Slag is supposed to last 2-2.5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

adne wrote: »
    It roughly 480 for a 20 tonne loa delivered and spread. 24 euro a tonne

Spread 250 tonne on Mon/Tuesday. €19/tonne spread

Regardless of how many tonne required I'd only spread 2 tonne per acre at a time.

Soil sample will tell you ph. In my view all fields should be soil samples annually if one is farming above 2 Lu/ha other wise sample low index annually and rest every 2 yrs. it's ine of the best returning money one can spend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Regardless of how many tonne required I'd only spread 2 tonne per acre at a time.

Soil sample will tell you ph. In my view all fields should be soil samples annually if one is farming above 2 Lu/ha other wise sample low index annually and rest every 2 yrs. it's ine of the best returning money one can spend

You're spot on when you say it's the best money one could spend. I spread approx 75% of the farm last year, 1.75T/acre (high Mo area here).
    The difference in the quality and quantity of grass is really obvious. Doing the remaining 25% this year if we get another bit of drying and will be spreading again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Worth noting that ph doesnt always tell the full story, you could have a high ph and need lime or a low ph and only need magnesium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

that's a lot cheaper than i'm paying, 24/ tonne spread

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Farrell wrote: »
    Slag is supposed to last 2-2.5 years

Sincere apologies I landed home with a few in me and only read the first and last comments on the thread! Then decided a snide comment was the way forward.

Worth noting that ph doesnt always tell the full story, you could have a high ph and need lime or a low ph and only need magnesium

How do you know what exactly is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

19 euro tonne ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜23 spread here .still cheap fertliser and should be starting point in correcting soil fertility on any farm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

adne wrote: »
    It roughly 480 for a 20 tonne loa delivered and spread. 24 euro a tonne

Spread 250 tonne on Mon/Tuesday. 19/tonne spread

If outputs your thing drainage and ph related issues correcting are the cheapest investment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country are ye getting it for 19€

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

jfh wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country are ye getting it for 19€

I have a suspicion he can see the quarry. Close enough to shout the order in. General consensus at our last dg meeting was €22-23 spread. Around an hour from the quarries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How do you know what exactly is required?

This explains it fairly well but keep in mind that its more of an art than an exact science because you're always going to be trying to balance unknowns.

http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_Exchange_Simplified.htm

A base saturation test of a mix of your best and worse fields might show up something interesting that could be corrected overtime but in your case I doubt there's much room for improvement with your growth figures but possibly something worth watching over longer term to avoid messing up whatever ratios are currently getting results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Had a demonstration of this on my farm today.
    Looks a bit gimmicky to me, mixing lime with the fertiliser and spraying it on.
    Anyone know anything about it
    Supposed to be all the rage in New zealand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhFUWjs8iQY

This explains it fairly well but keep in mind that its more of an art than an exact science because you're always going to be trying to balance unknowns.

http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_Exchange_Simplified.htm

A base saturation test of a mix of your best and worse fields might show up something interesting that could be corrected overtime but in your case I doubt there's much room for improvement with your growth figures but possibly something worth watching over longer term to avoid messing up whatever ratios are currently getting results.
    Taking tissue samples a few times over a season is the only true measure of what's there and is actually available. Soil samples just say it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Taking tissue samples a few times over a season is the only true measure of what's there and is actually available. Soil samples just say it's there.

How much variance do you see between the basic soil sample and the tissue sample?

If outputs your thing drainage and ph related issues correcting are the cheapest investment

Drainage is not an issue here. Not one meter of drainage pipe on the cow block.
    Very lucky. A couple or three springs piped to a river is all

Boys ground

I have a suspicion he can see the quarry. Close enough to shout the order in. General consensus at our last dg meeting was €22-23 spread. Around an hour from the quarries.

6 miles

How much variance do you see between the basic soil sample and the tissue sample?
    "soil analysis to give you a snapshot (which may be less specific which is its drawback) and then tissue to give you real time (and its drawback is that it is momentary)"
    Depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go!
    Have fields mapped for soil type and yield mapping(tools to help catch up on what a farmer will know about their fields over a good few years more so) to say whats produced to 1.5% yield accuracy what i have been banging the combine dealers door down for is a machine to tell the analysis of grain quality/contents(milk record every cow, every milking) on the fly, its on a bench in most merchants office just not on the combine.
    Its not that theres a big difference its more fine tuning things(put out less inputs) to the optimum,try dig out a few results of tests on the same area. When your maxing out your output and inputs like most the dairy guys are/close to its a bit like using samples as a spot light into the dark vs a narrower beam of tissue sampling to focus in on an issue. Of course its the cost issue of all this as to if its worth the hassel and as we are here are coming from virtually sterile fertilised soils vs high om well fertilised grass which is normally a good indicator of soil health so long as you dont do damage with cows/machinery in the wet. Just bewary of like yosemitesam said of something going wrong. Its arable focused but give this a read to get an idea for such a flaky response as its down so much to ones own interpretation, anyone who claims to be an expert slap them in the face especially if trying to sell you something!!

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/albrecht-versus-conventional-soil-testing-my-experiments.712/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

"soil analysis to give you a snapshot (which may be less specific which is its drawback) and then tissue to give you real time (and its drawback is that it is momentary)"
    Depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go!
    Have fields mapped for soil type and yield mapping(tools to help catch up on what a farmer will know about their fields over a good few years more so) to say whats produced to 1.5% yield accuracy what i have been banging the combine dealers door down for is a machine to tell the analysis of grain quality/contents(milk record every cow, every milking) on the fly, its on a bench in most merchants office just not on the combine.
    Its not that theres a big difference its more fine tuning things(put out less inputs) to the optimum,try dig out a few results of tests on the same area. When your maxing out your output and inputs like most the dairy guys are/close to its a bit like using samples as a spot light into the dark vs a narrower beam of tissue sampling to focus in on an issue. Of course its the cost issue of all this as to if its worth the hassel and as we are here are coming from virtually sterile fertilised soils vs high om well fertilised grass which is normally a good indicator of soil health so long as you dont do damage with cows/machinery in the wet. Just bewary of like yosemitesam said of something going wrong. Its arable focused but give this a read to get an idea for such a flaky response as its down so much to ones own interpretation, anyone who claims to be an expert slap them in the face especially if trying to sell you something!!

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/albrecht-versus-conventional-soil-testing-my-experiments.712/

+1. Good post.

I spent a lot of money on soil and tissue analysis at home. This was on worn tillage ground that was very low on OM, and as you say 'how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?'...
    I now have high OM soils that are well drained and free of compaction, and it makes it all so easy...now weak/poor patches, very little chemical fertilisers, no trace element deficiencies etc.
    Get the ph right, look after soil structure, and lots of fym.

Water is also highly important, not too much (compaction) or too little (drought).

Easy enough to see consequences of drought...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Would any of ye use the albrecht soil analysis?

• Advertisement

Where do ye guys stand on the value of FYM?
    Love the stuff here, wouldn't be mad about the spreading under the cattle but love spreading the end result on ground.

Converted a tillage farm to grass in 05 and it took 5 yrs to get up to the poorest performing paddocks on home block. Spread all our FYM on it for the 5 yrs, turned it inside out. One particular paddock was growing 8 tonne for 2 yrs after grassing has grown 18 as last Sunday. It's probably on target for >20 tonne this year.

We now concentrate FYM on the bottom performing 25% each October. A figure I've somewhere in my head is that each 4*4 bale of barley straw imported has €5-6 of P value. Am I off my rocker?

Advertisement