Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cavan pub reviews!! be honest!

Options
  • 11-02-2008 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

feel free to be brutally honest and dont spare the horses as regards slagging etc.

im startin it off fairly civilised cos i dont think my profile is anonymous enough so ill leave brutality to others.

ill start off with the ones i know of.

Cavan Town:

Rossa.
    fairly local crowd, massive screens to watch sports on, great craic when theres music at weekends, esp. phil'n'cossie. not a bad spot on a wet weekday afternoon for a quiet pint, bit of banter/slagging and bet on the ponies.

Abbey.
    THE guinness pub in ireland. Bar has no-nonsense, no tv,radio,jukebox etc, oldish crowd during week, could expect anybody at weekends. Be expected to join in conversations or just eavesdrop on others!

McGinntys.
    Bar has older regular crowd, lounge usually mixed crowd, theyve just started recently to have music again in both lounge and the cellar.

Mcauls.
    Total rugby pub, 2 smoking yards- one of which is pretty spot on in the summer.. outside jukebox, heaters etc.
    Fairly professional crowd in here as well as locals.
    dont mind the dog outside though, her bark is worse than her bite(could do with a bath tho)!

Caddens.
    Very regulars pub, the type of pub youd go with you auld fella or after a funeral. v.friendly barstaff. guyinness is spot on.

Owen roe.
    Another fairly regulars pub, very cramped at the bar with a small lounge at the back. no smoking yard either so ye have to stand on bridge st outside the pub so everyone knows your drinking when you are supposed to be off sick!!
    guinness is nice though!

Kittys.
    Regulars mainly, from country and town. small wee bar but a bit of craic and slagging to be had, not the place to bring your posh relatives to. plenty of characters.

Cruiscin Lan.
    GAA pub mainly, very loud pub at weekends, a bit like the tardis, surprisingly big on the inside. expect to shout to be heard.

Breffni.
    Had a lot of bad press over the years but has cleaned up its act. expect conversations at the bar and maybe a game of darts or cards. jukebox as well. mostly regulars young and old.

Noel Bradys.
    Mixed crowd at weekends, no jukebox, couple of tvs but not in your face, place to meet up before going on to club etc.

Dempseys (formerly linus's/Cathal Bradys etc.).
    regulars in bar, nice spot to watch a game or have a chat.
    lounge area fairly big with a few nooks if ye dont want to be caught...erm i ..mean..disturbed. nice outside smoking area.

Well thats a start anyway.

add to these comments and add other pubs etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

thought id bump this after seeing some of the latest threads.. might be of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finni S

mustangs bar has reopened its on main street in cavan, was in it on a saturday night, some spot the only pub i ever came across that sold bottles of buckfest wine over the counter , and at 14 euro a bottle too robbing bastards, what ya make of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

finni S wrote: »
    mustangs bar has reopened its on main street in cavan, was in it on a saturday night, some spot the only pub i ever came across that sold bottles of buckfest wine over the counter , and at 14 euro a bottle too robbing bastards, what ya make of that?
    only way the place is ever going to make any money, but still not going to be enough with the clientelle. steer clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ashman007

Try Jimmy's Pub in Killeneck

My brother runs it a good little spot for a few bevies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Blessings, Main Street, Cavan.
    It's an improvement on what was there before but has retained some character. There's loads of space at the back but the front is quite cramped and narrow. If there's a session on, it'll likely be at the front but the back is sufficiently far away for you to be well away from it if you're there just for a chat. You'll meet all ages there. The bar staff are all dead on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    Blessings, Main Street, Cavan.
    It's an improvement on what was there before but has retained some character. There's loads of space at the back but the front is quite cramped and narrow. If there's a session on, it'll likely be at the front but the back is sufficiently far away for you to be well away from it if you're there just for a chat. You'll meet all ages there. The bar staff are all dead on.

I was in Blessings a few weeks ago and while it is a nice enough pub the decor is horrible. There is a huge wall behind part of the bar that has nothing on it, no bottles of alcohol, no mirror, it looks really strange. Looks like Mustang Sallys has closed down again. I liked that pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Any pubs in or around Ballinagh? I'm moving there soon and love to go to a pub for a nice quiet pint or a whiskey or maybe talk to some old folk. It's what I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

gazzer wrote: »
    I was in Blessings a few weeks ago and while it is a nice enough pub the decor is horrible. There is a huge wall behind part of the bar that has nothing on it, no bottles of alcohol, no mirror, it looks really strange. Looks like Mustang Sallys has closed down again. I liked that pub.

Yeah, they could have made some attempt to do something with the decor. Mustangs was a kip, full of scum that are being talked about in other threads on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

celt262 wrote: »
    Yeah, they could have made some attempt to do something with the decor. Mustangs was a kip, full of scum that are being talked about in other threads on this board.
    Blessings was always a kip. Used to get a great crowd but the owner wouldn`t even keep the place clean for some reason. However it will always get a crowd because Cavan lacks some decent pubs. Most people dont go up past the White Star for a drink because the pubs are too rough (except The Imperial).

I have a few mates coming down next week to stay with me. Could anybody tell me what pubs in Cavan town are no go ones? I have only been to a few pubs since I moved down here but I want to bring them to as many different ones as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

I have a few mates coming down next week to stay with me. Could anybody tell me what pubs in Cavan town are no go ones? I have only been to a few pubs since I moved down here but I want to bring them to as many different ones as I can.

There all kips up past the Imperial apart from smith and wilson. All the other pubs in town would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ashman007

Anyone know of the Freemans Pub in Cavan...Is it any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

what town is it in? never heard of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 J121

There is a Freeman's Pub in Kingscourt. Never been in it tbh so can't comment on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 J121

ashman007 wrote: »
    Anyone know of the Freemans Pub in Cavan...Is it any good
    There's a Freeman's Pub in Kingscourt - never been in it tbh so can't comment on what it is like

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adnerb

Freemans pub in Kingscourt is currently selling pints at €3.00... but dont know if the dated surroundings are worth it!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Lee's (West End Bar)
    If you're 21 or under this is a grand pub, I'm only 26 but if I ever go there I don't half feel old! Patsy is probably one of the best barmen in the town, he runs it with his sister Sandra, the less said about her the better. Extremely clean and nice and modern, probably the liveliest pub in the town.

Smith's
    I like this place, good for a quiet drink yet there is always a good crowd there, a mix of young and old. Live music a lot of the time. Don will always give you a free drink when you go in (if you go there regularly) and there is very often hot food! This is my local. Not too keen on the barmaids though, aren't you supposed to have a smile on your face when you work in a bar and not the big sourpuss' they have on them, I think they're sisters as well. They're probably the only thing wrong with the place!

I wouldn't say any of the other pubs in Cootehill are worth mentioning!:p

Can anybody recomend the best pubs in ballyjamesduff to go to? I bought a house just a couple of km from there so it my nearest watering spot. I was in a bar there called Cheers on new years day for a couple of hours. It was mental cos the couple running it are from Dublin and just about everybody in the pub was from Dublin. it was like a home away from home (Dublin inner city boy here)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Can anybody recomend the best pubs in ballyjamesduff to go to? I bought a house just a couple of km from there so it my nearest watering spot. I was in a bar there called Cheers on new years day for a couple of hours. It was mental cos the couple running it are from Dublin and just about everybody in the pub was from Dublin. it was like a home away from home (Dublin inner city boy here)

The High Stool is also known as a Dub pub, of course you get the local regulars in there too.

The Royal is making a big effort in terms of attracting customers getting bands in on a regular basis now too, so it'd be between the two of them.

McBrides (when it's open ;), is also worth a mention. Good for a nice pint of guinness by an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

gagiteebo wrote: »
    Smith's
    I like this place, good for a quiet drink yet there is always a good crowd there, a mix of young and old. Live music a lot of the time. Don will always give you a free drink when you go in (if you go there regularly) and there is very often hot food! This is my local. Not too keen on the barmaids though, aren't you supposed to have a smile on your face when you work in a bar and not the big sourpuss' they have on them, I think they're sisters as well. They're probably the only thing wrong with the place!

Mighty pub, as good as there is in Cavan.... good pints, friendly and good craic!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

Adam wrote: »
    only way the place is ever going to make any money, but still not going to be enough with the clientelle. steer clear.

Was in it recently seriously pissed off, that used to be half decent a few years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Will be around Kingscourt this weekend-where's a good spot to watch France v Ireland on Saturday afternoon? Will have the car, so don't mind driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

Either The Wishing Well or Malones' would be your best bet for the match there mate.

You could always watch it in Gartlans'(thatched roof pub) - you can sit in the TV room and then walk around to go back into the bar to get your pints. Great aul spot if it's peace and quiet you're after....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Live music a lot of the time. Don will always give you a free drink when you go in (if you go there regularly) and there is very often hot food!
    I second that. Great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Any pubs in or around Ballinagh? I'm moving there soon and love to go to a pub for a nice quiet pint or a whiskey or maybe talk to some old folk. It's what I love.

cronin's, barney macs, and brady's would be the best imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Smith's

Top place - always call in there if I am passing thru' Cootehill

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

flanum wrote: »
    feel free to be brutally honest and dont spare the horses as regards slagging etc.

im startin it off fairly civilised cos i dont think my profile is anonymous enough so ill leave brutality to others.

ill start off with the ones i know of.

Cavan Town:

Rossa.
    fairly local crowd, massive screens to watch sports on, great craic when theres music at weekends, esp. phil'n'cossie. not a bad spot on a wet weekday afternoon for a quiet pint, bit of banter/slagging and bet on the ponies.

Abbey.
    THE guinness pub in ireland. Bar has no-nonsense, no tv,radio,jukebox etc, oldish crowd during week, could expect anybody at weekends. Be expected to join in conversations or just eavesdrop on others!

McGinntys.
    Bar has older regular crowd, lounge usually mixed crowd, theyve just started recently to have music again in both lounge and the cellar.

Mcauls.
    Total rugby pub, 2 smoking yards- one of which is pretty spot on in the summer.. outside jukebox, heaters etc.
    Fairly professional crowd in here as well as locals.
    dont mind the dog outside though, her bark is worse than her bite(could do with a bath tho)!

Caddens.
    Very regulars pub, the type of pub youd go with you auld fella or after a funeral. v.friendly barstaff. guyinness is spot on.

Owen roe.
    Another fairly regulars pub, very cramped at the bar with a small lounge at the back. no smoking yard either so ye have to stand on bridge st outside the pub so everyone knows your drinking when you are supposed to be off sick!!
    guinness is nice though!

Kittys.
    Regulars mainly, from country and town. small wee bar but a bit of craic and slagging to be had, not the place to bring your posh relatives to. plenty of characters.

Cruiscin Lan.
    GAA pub mainly, very loud pub at weekends, a bit like the tardis, surprisingly big on the inside. expect to shout to be heard.

Breffni.
    Had a lot of bad press over the years but has cleaned up its act. expect conversations at the bar and maybe a game of darts or cards. jukebox as well. mostly regulars young and old.

Noel Bradys.
    Mixed crowd at weekends, no jukebox, couple of tvs but not in your face, place to meet up before going on to club etc.

Dempseys (formerly linus's/Cathal Bradys etc.).
    regulars in bar, nice spot to watch a game or have a chat.
    lounge area fairly big with a few nooks if ye dont want to be caught...erm i ..mean..disturbed. nice outside smoking area.

Well thats a start anyway.

add to these comments and add other pubs etc..
    Blackhorse good food,classy bar,very clean,4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

DELANEYS,TOP OF THE TOWN,JPS,DUNNES,KITTYS.Are all good very well run,BUSY bars in Cavan town.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Any good spots closer to Virginia? I like Cavan town but it means I have to drive and cant drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Virginia has a good few pubs (for the size of it):

Matthew's - probably the busiest
    Healy's - great roaring fire
    The Mill - small but spot on
    The Riverfront - just had the bar refurbished and also has the nightclub if you want to stsy out late....

Others too but those are my picks!

Advertisement