Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7-M7 Newbridge Bypass and Kilcullen Spur - 20 years old

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

NRA was formed in 1993 but this would have been under construction before then - each individual council worked with the Department of Transport on road schemes.

Kildare had a full motorway plan for the N4, 6, 7 and 9 from the late 1970s which only got finally realised by the NRA in late 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Jaysus, I'm getting auld,
    We passed over the works there going to the Japanese Gardens after my sisters Confirmation...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I remember cycling along the motorway a few days before opening when I was around 8 . Not sure if that was illegal or not back then. Also remember part of the opening ceremony where they had a few vintage cars land some ribbon cutting thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JeffK88 wrote: »
    I remember cycling along the motorway a few days before opening when I was around 8 . Not sure if that was illegal or not back then. Also remember part of the opening ceremony where they had a few vintage cars land some ribbon cutting thing.

As I did on the M4 Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock scheme - it could have been considered trespass but that has various definitions in Ireland; as it wasn't open it wasn't a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I remember seeing the N25 Carrigtwohill - Dunkettle section a few days before opening. It was a nice sunny day, road was pretty much ready to go, and guess what was on the road?? Yup, there was a big golden retriever fast asleep in the overtaking lane :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Yup, there was a big golden retriever fast asleep in the overtaking lane :D

the more things change, the more they stay the same :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The M7 Newbridge bypass actually opened in June 1993. It was the M9 Kilcullen spur motorway that opened 20 years ago this week. They were part of the same contract but the Newbridge bypass was prioritised - and from my memory of the traffic jams in that particular town - rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The M7 Newbridge bypass actually opened in June 1993. It was the M9 Kilcullen spur motorway that opened 20 years ago this week. They were part of the same contract but the Newbridge bypass was prioritised - and from my memory of the traffic jams in that particular town - rightly so.

Damn right. Newbridge was a complete pain. The only problem with the opening of the M7 Newbridge section was that the traffic jams just moved to Kildare and Monasterevin!

I can remember being extremely pleased about the M9 spur though as I drove this route quite a lot at the time so not having to go through Naas and Kilcullen and the horrible windy road between them took at least twenty minutes of my journey.

Advertisement