Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Probably on the way back from UN General Assembly in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Good idea and sure why not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I had been thinking of starting a thread like this for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Loving the 3D option on Android

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can anyone explain this? I grabbed this last week. A few minutes later, RYR1 disappeared from FR24.

teh8.png

Higher res pic attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

That's Ryanairs Learjet,M-ABEU, which is based at Stansted an is used for "engineering support".

That's Ryanairs Learjet,M-ABEU, which is based at Stansted an is used for "engineering support".

Cheers, OB. I wasn't aware they had one. Does "engineering support" translate as MOL taxi in bus lane??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

lol it wouldn't surprise me but don't often see it on flightradar, good catch. MOL is actually on primetime tonight at 2235,RTE1.

MOL is actually on primetime tonight at 2235,RTE1.

Thanks for that. I'll record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

crosstownk wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this? I grabbed this last week. A few minutes later, RYR1 disappeared from FR24.

teh8.png

Higher res pic attached.

It dissappered because MLAT cover runs out just on from that point over the irish sea. Fr24 are looking for people to host MLAT receivers to expand coverage in Europe.

anyone wanna volunteer for dublin? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Any idea what this guy is up to? He was outbound only a few moments ago, looks like either a test flight, or he is returning to Weston.

274031.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

from MYOB - "there's no MLAT coverage in Ireland yet on FR24 I believe."

from FR24 website - "MLAT
    In some regions with coverage from several FR24-receivers we also calculate positions of aircraft with the help of Multilateration (MLAT), by using a method known as Time Difference of Arrival (TDOA). By measuring the difference in time to receive the signal from aircraft with an older ModeS-transponder, it's possible to calculate the position of these aircraft. Four FR24-receivers or more, receiving signals from the same aircraft, are needed to make MLAT work. That means that MLAT coverage can only be achieved above about 10000-20000 feet as the probability that signal can be received by four or more receivers increases with increased altitude.

MLAT coverage is today limited to some parts of Europe, but expanding fast.
    "

- Anyone know how do you setup for MLAT coverage in Ireland? Do you need a ADS-B receiver to start with or is that a separate item?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

Need a roof and broadband basically.

MYOB wrote: »
    http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

Need a roof and broadband basically.

I'm just thinking out loud here.....

Will an ADS-B receiver provide MLAT reliably? If it will then won't a minimum of four (in different locations) be required?

I also note that Ireland is not in the priority list.

I'm up to putting myself forward for this but not a fan of climbing ladders. Gable end house about 50m or so above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Will an ADS-B receiver provide MLAT reliably? If it will then won't a minimum of four (in different locations) be required?

I'm up to putting myself forward for this but not a fan of climbing ladders. Gable end house about 50m or so above sea level.

ok Crosstownk if your gonna go for it then so will I, as you know the ladder is here, I will help set you up.
    Pat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They need multiple.

The priority list is areas without even decent ADS-B coverage to begin with, MLAT coverage seems to be being rolled out in areas with good ADS-B mostly. The US has the FAA data, we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Rookie Q, just stumbled across this always wondered what's the vertical distance required between crossing paths? Great tread...

819c9cbe1c029aa2e5ef6a28dea6b4a3.jpg

2000ft unless reduced separation is in use.

I have just now applied to Fr24 to be a MLAT feeder, lets hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mech1 wrote: »
    I have just now applied to Fr24 to be a MLAT feeder, lets hope for the best.

Fair play Mech,

I reckon by about 2015 your upstairs is going to be converted into a fully functioning ATC tower, complete with spiny roundy RADAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

MYOB wrote: »
    2000ft unless reduced separation is in use.

1000ft unless the area has little or no radar coverage and then it's 2000ft. The North Atlantic uses RVSM so it's 1000ft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

keith16 wrote: »
    Fair play Mech,

I reckon by about 2015 your upstairs is going to be converted into a fully functioning ATC tower, complete with spiny roundy RADAR.

He won't need the radar head he has ADSB. Just needs a few velux windows.

Quoted from another forum. Posted today,

_______________________________________________________________________________
    "We now have a new batch of 1000 FR24 receivers and we have also improved and automatized much of our "Free equipment process" which means that we can process more applications in a shorter time.

If you can offer a good antenna location and want to host our free FR24 receiver please apply on http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

Our goal is to ship about 200 units per month from October 2013 and about 300 units per month from January 2014!"
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Looks like a good time to apply if your in a position to HONESTLY help.
    Pat.

I would be interested in locking out the "usual local freq" on my feed for an hour, and just generally scanning the rest of the airband freq in order to see how far away we can copy an aircrafts transmissions. By using the call sign heard and flight radar 24 we should be able to get a max distance.

anyone willing to listen in and help find the aircraft?

My feed going "Distant" at Midnight for 1 hr, Let me know if you hear and find on flight radar 24 anything far away.

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

If i wasnt off to malta for a year i would try help feed my radar box for mlat if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mech1 wrote: »
    My feed going "Distant" at Midnight for 1 hr, Let me know if you hear and find on flight radar 24 anything far away.

Pat.

Hi Pat, I would help but off to bed, maybe tomorrow evening.

Back to normal, gotta find that scanner manual, and read it this time:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

Any idea what this guy is up to? He was outbound only a few moments ago, looks like either a test flight, or he is returning to Weston.

274031.jpg

This was Citation 525A M-FLYI inbound to Weston but it was vectored miles out to the west by Dublin ATC to separate it from traffic on finals to r/w 10 @ DUB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement