Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Art/Craft Stores and supplies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Homecraft

Anyone know where I would get a supplier in Ireland for Cello cone sweet plastic bags please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yuio

brand new graffiti shop in dublin2 Tzolkin Street inside White Lady Art, www.tzolkinstreet.com
    they have great quality spray cans and great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fmh0623

Hi all,
    I no longer have the time to give to card making so I am looking to sell all the equipment, card stock, die cutters, stamps, markers etc that I have. Firstly would anyone be interested if I was to list what I have. I would prefer to sell in one lot or a couple of small lots.
    Or could someone suggest the best place to sell these.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can get Acetate Sheets(A3/A4 size) in the Kerry area?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Where's the best store for scrap book supplies in Dublin? I've read the first couple of pages and the links there but just wondering has there been any more newer suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hi folks, I'm wondering where I can pick up some carbon stencil transfer paper in Dublin, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Hi does anyone know where i can get canvases for art daughter looking for some for Xmas , around tallaght clondalkin area thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Aldi or Lidl have a few canvasses at present. Maybe someone else could clarify which one as I know I saw them just can't remember which shop. Also the school book shop at Newlands Cross should have them too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

where would be the place to pick up a good paint set for adult beginner?

typically a large sketch pad, brushes and some acrylic paints

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

I was in art&hobby the weekend had loads of paints,brushes,sketch pads etc bit expensive though,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Driving along recently, minding my own business, when surprise, surprise, I saw a WM Trimmings shop at the Walkinstown Circle, in Dublin 12. When did that happen, I wondered? If I could just find out where the heck I could even park around there I might just visit the shop, after Christmas of course. The few parking spaces at the shops were full when I passed by. On the plus side, its nice to see a craft shop actually opening these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Not sure if you have this one but www.davidwalshdungarvan.com based in Dungarvan Co. Waterford he also does card making classes on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm looking for somewhere that sells plastic cam buckles - any suggestions?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Mylar, anyone know where I can get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I can recommend The Gaiety shop in Galway on Eglinton St for those looking for chalk paint and Annie Sloan soft wax in the area. I believe they also run workshops.
    I had a hard time finding stockist outside Dublin initially!

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get paper/glue for decoupage in Galway? or just PVA stuff in an arts & crafts store in town? (I think there's one in Eyre Square Shopping centre)
    I know any paper is supposed to be ok, but I'd like it to be pretty :) but don't want to spend a fortune on expensive Easons-type wrapping paper for the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bbarf

Hi, if anyone is looking for brand new silhouette cutter (see Silhouette Portrait), I have one for sale (fair price).

Contains:
    - Silhouette Portrait® electronic cutting machine
    - Silhouette Studio® software
    - 50 exclusive cuttable designs
    - Power cable, USB cable
    - 8" cutting mat
    - Cutting blade
    - $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
    - Basic Instruction Guide

PM for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

bbarf wrote: »
    Hi, if anyone is looking for brand new silhouette cutter (see Silhouette Portrait), I have one for sale (fair price).

Contains:
    - Silhouette Portrait® electronic cutting machine
    - Silhouette Studio® software
    - 50 exclusive cuttable designs
    - Power cable, USB cable
    - 8" cutting mat
    - Cutting blade
    - $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
    - Basic Instruction Guide

PM for details.
    This forum is not for selling. See sister site adverts.ie if you wish to place an ad. Any replies relating to this will be deleted, keep any discussion to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JSully

Hi all;

I just wanted raise awareness of a community shop in Listowel Co. Kerry; It is run by local crafters who make a wide variety of things from knitwear to súgán chairs.

There are classes every couple of weeks run by some of the crafters either demonstrating how they make their crafts or an actual lesson where you get to make something and take it home at the end of it. It's a great way of bringing the community together and promoting Listowel and Kerry to Tourists and locals alike.

On Saturday 26th April 2014; one of the crafters will be doing a memory wire bracelet lesson, where you get to make and take home your very own bracelet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Driving along recently, minding my own business, when surprise, surprise, I saw a WM Trimmings shop at the Walkinstown Circle, in Dublin 12. When did that happen, I wondered? If I could just find out where the heck I could even park around there I might just visit the shop, after Christmas of course. The few parking spaces at the shops were full when I passed by. On the plus side, its nice to see a craft shop actually opening these days!

There is another WM Trimmings shop in 137 Capel Street. I found it on Facebook and you can buy mail order until their website is up. I got my daughter who works in Dublin to get me some buttons and she said they had loads of stock, wool , fabric etc .

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WM-Trimmings/393055234093507?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 2 liitlewomen

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a shop or website that sells individual sheets any nice ones I have come across are in a pack of 48 & only have 16 designs x 3 sheets which is no good to me. Need approx 5 designs & about 20 sheets of each for starters. They will be used for children's crafts.

TIA

• Advertisement

You need to be more specific by what you mean "sheets" and "nice ones".
    Assuming you mean craft paper with designs on it, I've bought something similar on ebay. They sold in sheets. Depends what size you need, but I got ones that were about 20x20cm.
    e.g. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DOVECRAFT-FLORAL-PAVILION-PAPERS-6-X-6-SAMPLE-PACK-1-OF-EACH-DESIGN-16-SHEETS-/251509391197?pt=UK_Crafts_CraftingPaper_EH&hash=item3a8f20bf5d

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sukiyu

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Hoping this is the right place to ask this...

I wonder could anyone recommend where I might get a cheap frame for a painting which measures 20" x 16" and is canvas mounted on a wooden frame. It looks very standard. I have enquired about getting a frame custom-made but they seem quite expensive (more than the painting cost!).

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

You could try your local charity shops to see if there's something to fit (even if it means taking out existing painting). Or second-hand furniture shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Hoping this is the right place to ask this...

I wonder could anyone recommend where I might get a cheap frame for a painting which measures 20" x 16" and is canvas mounted on a wooden frame. It looks very standard. I have enquired about getting a frame custom-made but they seem quite expensive (more than the painting cost!).

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try Dunnes Stores. They have nice frames at reasonable prices. Failing that try, Adverts.ie or even try Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

Hi,
    I am interested in purchasing some supplies from the US that are a lot cheaper than here. It's approx. $600 worth of supplies for a project I'm working on.
    They have quoted me $158 shipping via FedEx Economy but said I am responsible for any other fees from customs etc.
    Just curious if anyone knows what additional fees I might be hit with upon arrival in Ireland.
    I just don't want to be hit with huge costs that will cancel out what I save ordering from abroad.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

dare2dream wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am interested in purchasing some supplies from the US that are a lot cheaper than here. It's approx. $600 worth of supplies for a project I'm working on.
    They have quoted me $158 shipping via FedEx Economy but said I am responsible for any other fees from customs etc.
    Just curious if anyone knows what additional fees I might be hit with upon arrival in Ireland.
    I just don't want to be hit with huge costs that will cancel out what I save ordering from abroad.
    Thanks in advance.

Some very helpful links on this subject over on the "online buying and auctions" forum :-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

Duty calculator here will give you a rough idea :-

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

If Fed Ex or DHL or one of those couriers delivers it from the US you're very likely to be paying customs.

Be careful betting caught out on the declared cost of item+postage that your vendor puts on the form! I bought logo T-shirts online, but forgot about VAT. When courier said I owed for VAT and Duty. I thought grand, about 23%... The seller had for some idiotic reason put down shipping cost as 180$ dollars instead of 45$! So either I had to return them or pay up the ridiculous charge on the difference between the two because the seller got their paperwork wrong. I got in touch with them several times and they just passed the blame onto the courier, and the courier blamed them because they said that the papers for customs are filled out by the seller. In any case never again using that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

You will probably be charged duty at around 7-9% and VAT at 23%. Be aware that VAT is charged on the value of the goods AND on the shipping AND on the duty!
    Like Gatica, I was once overcharged (by about triple) for the VAT on the shipping charge because the sender hadn't listed any shipping cost on the invoice accompanying the package so FedEx calculated based on what they thought it should be. But I was later able to get a copy of the invoice with shipping charges and I sent that to FedEx and eventually got a refund for the difference.

You should also be aware that your order may be held up in Customs here for a couple of weeks, especially if they think the invoice isn't correct.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Daizee

Hi I was wondering does anyone know of any tapestry/needlepoint shops in Dublin city center, I have tried google but am having no luck and will be in the city tomorrow.

Advertisement