Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Email management program/software

Options
  • 11-01-2015 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a good email program for personal use that I can use to follow a few existing email addresses I have that I can set up to sort my emails and bundle it all into one package.

Over the course of time, I have acquired a number of email addresses, sounds ridiculous, but about 10 in use now or maybe more, been mostly for keeping seperate different interests/activities. This has been useful as its managed to seperate and keep a few main email addresses SPAM free, but now even my main email addresses (Gmail mostly) are clogging up with the volume of emails. I like aspects of Gmail, but I cant easily sort or set up to sort my emails or get alerts it seems.

I dont seem to have outlook on my laptop, although Im happy enough not to go with it, Im not even convinced its what I need.

Mostly Id like one interface that I can direct and filter a number of emails.
    Im wary of just trying something without recommendation as I dont want to sign up to something that will have access or report these details outside my email as some will have banking information/personal stuff.

As much as can see google/yahoo can access my information, I dont think its in the same sense that some other more dubious email provider might.

Suggestions, or even if this is the correct forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Thunderbird is worth a look,free to download from Mozilla and is pretty easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I haven't used it in a while, but Thunderbird is pretty good at managing a few accounts. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Thanks for the prompt replies,
    I had heard of thunderbird before, I hadnt looked into it in detail and only recently when I missed a job alert in one email had I decided to follow this up with intent.
    Mainly it was the only program Id come across doing a search online, but its good to get some recommendations.
    I mostly use Mozilla now anyway.Although Id found it a bit problematic in the last 6 months and never been good for sorting my bookmarks which I found tedious. Id tried out chrome, which I use on my mobile, so I was hoping google had something, but thought unlikely.

I think I will start giving that a try.

Do you know if it can manage to sort emails from yahoo/gmail?, Ive even a a couple of old hotmail accounts :eek:, I more or less didnt think anyone made much use of them anymore, but someone recently gave me an @live.com address of theirs.

edit, Im going to download it and give it a try, presumably, I can still just access my emails anyway normally?
    Is there a sorting feature?
    I dont understand why gmail doesnt have some kind of sorting feature, if I could combine under one google/gmail program I would/ i.e. combine but keep seperate different email sources and sort via setting up specific emails so I dont have to constantly filter them into folders/delete mails, if Thunderbird does this, that'll be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

http://en.flossmanuals.net/thunderbird/reading-and-organising-mail/

This is a quick walk through manual for thunderbird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Thanks for that, thunderbird it is, worth a try :)
    Thanks to all for the prompt advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Another thing that might be worth having when you use that many email accounts is a Program called Mailwasher Pro.

Not exactly what you are after but used in conjunction with your chosen email client makes it an excellent tool. I've been using it for years now and really love it. Not free though.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭JuneJones

Poppeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Apart from free availability, User can synchronize Gmail with Thunderbird email application.

Advertisement