Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes: Ascend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Headshot wrote: »
    Downloaded this today

looks cool, not the best graphics around but that isnt the biggest deal to me

My worry is my ping, im like 133 ping on european servers

wtf like ?

ping test gives me 40 ping

I was actually impressed with the graphics!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

*bump* I had 2 games of this last night before my exhaustion took over and I had to go to sleep. I *loved* the original Starsiege Tribes, was very disappointed by Tribes 2 and it's buginess and all that went with it, but this, well it's like a breath of fresh air in a world of mundane.

Can't wait to get some more play time in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well. i like it...

*goes to delete all his posts of bitching about tribes 2

its free to play too so anyone with pc has to try it. i will be buying some coins for sure to support developer.

its free to play too so anyone with pc has to try it. i will be buying some coins for sure to support developer.

They got me with the VIP system already. If you make one purchase, you become VIP and gain 50% more xp till the end of time. Now just to stay strong and never spend another penny on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

killing esports!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

nm...................

well i bought 800 gold coins and unlocked crossbow for path finder and spinfuser for soldier!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Getting the final kill in TDM with a Spinfusor shot between the legs (from below) is oh-so-satisfying :D:D I'm rather glad I used the free Facebook gold on the Spinfusor over a class unlock :3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just downloaded this now, and will give it a shot. Player name is Kiith.
    Robby91 wrote: »
    I'm rather glad I used the free Facebook gold on the Spinfusor over a class unlock :3
    Facebook gold you say?

Kiith wrote: »
    Just downloaded this now, and will give it a shot. Player name is Kiith.

Facebook gold you say?

https://apps.facebook.com/freegoldtribes/contests/196147 - assuming the promotion is still available
    I think it's just a matter of liking the page, giving them an e-mail address then going to Extras -> Redeem Promo Code(?) ingame and using the code that was sent to your e-mail and you get 250 gold :P I think that's enough to buy any item/class available in-game (I haven't had a good look yet).

EDIT: Oh, it seems that some of the Heavy class weapons are even costlier than I thought (780 gold) so... can't get any item I guess :P And for anyone that's interested in a game some evening, my username is Dumlefudge.

• Advertisement

Think I saw another Boardsie in there this evening (kdjac). I also splashed on 800 gold for my VIP and unlocked the Technician class. I always played best as a base defender (and don't mind not getting all the capture glory - someone has to keep the turrets repaired). The maps are coming back to me - they're not all the same, but there are enough similarities to make them memorable.

Light turrets score you more points than you'd think when they're defending a base :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its not bad, will be on again.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Light turrets score you more points than you'd think when they're defending a base :)

Once your base is safe you should try destroying their generator. Place the light turrets around a corner then destroy the generator to lure them into it. Great craic

We should compile all the boards people's usernames somewhere. I'm getting sick of playing against randomers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

If you plan on spending any ammount of time on this I recommend spending any money on it to get the VIP status, get a nice steady stream of points after each game, you can buy stuff just have 1 game you get that much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played a few more games of this last night, and am really enjoying it. Love how fast paced it is, and reminds me of Unreal Tournament. Enjoying this more then Battlefield at the moment, though it's probably cause i don't suck ass at this.

New trailer as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Gave this a go the last couple of nights. Easy to get into for me cause I used to play a lot of Tribes and Tribes2. It's quite different to other FPS, even when compared to the other fast paced ones. For starters, people move fast cause of skiing so you got to learn how to aim by leading the target and take the shots with high probability of doing damage instead of going for direct hits. It's not everyone's cup of tea but it's incredibly fun if you know what you are doing. I play as DumDum on EU servers.

I like it. Just played few games.

I find it easyer then any other fps. I get good scores too. I still play mw3 for very little bit and bf3, but more and more I end up in tribes.
    Funny enough after playing tribes I totally raped in mw3! ( I really suck at that game ). I guess after tribes mw3 feels way slower.
    Still, it's easy to get in to. My favourite thing - no cheap kills like in modern fps shooters. ( behind walls, in the back, camping )

I think we might be on the roll for such fast style games. There were good few games shown with cryengine 3 demo.

How the hell do you make direct hits?? Some people are so good at it. I can't see a way to improve at this

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My username is headshotbrds on tribes folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Definitely reminds me of the old Unreal Tournament / Quake Arena days.

Gonna try it out this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Paid €23.99 for one of the gold packages.

Funny thing is if I walked by the game in a shop I probably wouldn't have bothered to pay that for the game in the first place.

I had previously bought Tribes Vengeance years ago but I never stuck to it.

Unlocked and upgraded the Technician class and having a hell of a time with this. Only level 4 or 5 but so much fun.

Rhinos69 if anyone wants to add. Be cool to get a good team together get some team play going on.

Username: shadowhearth ( shocker, I know! :) )

I have to say I am really loving the moderm free to play model. I would not have gotten this game at all, but after trying it like this, I am really hooked. I bough that 10eu ish worth of gold just to say thank you to developer and I am prety sure I will spend few more quid on it!

Had a class moment today. Some fella was going fast with flag amd I got I'm parallel line with him. We bout were going so fast, but I was turned all the time at him as I tried to shoot him. I did not even see where we going lol. I am surprised we did not hit any wall or something! Was really cool and mindless moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

After a hiccup of not being able to install it (kept failing to authenticate thus uninstalled itself), I changed the install directory and I was good to go.

Was a bit intimidated hopping into this. Haven't played the fast-paced games like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 in about 10 years and thought I'd be destroyed for my first hour or so but it didn't take me long to adjust to it. I'm averaging around the top 5 in most games.

Loving it so far, probably on the fact that it brings me back to those days of flying through a game at such a fast pace. My shooting is still pretty wonky where I can't shoot for shìt unless I have a grenade launcher-like weapon.

CTF is definitely my cup of tea since I've gotten quite good at capturing flags. Love that feeling of skiing through the level and grabbing the opposing team's flag at 150kmh, whizzing by everyone's fire and capturing them off-gaurd. Fantastic adreneline buzz when you do grab it and you know about 6 guys & 3 turrets are unloading their clips on you and you hope you won't die just inches away from your own flag.

Equally heart breaking when you're going at the same speed and miss the flag by a nanometre and have to do a U-turn............if you haven't been blown to pieces by then.

Ah, definitely brings me back to the good ol' days.

My username is Duggy747 if anyone wants to add.

I know the feeling of missing the flag so well!

I'm grimebox surprisingly

Fantastic adreneline buzz when you do grab it and you know about 6 guys & 3 turrets are unloading their clips on you and you hope you won't die just inches away from your own flag.
    True that! Just had a few lovely games there, getting those speedy flag grabs (especially the ones, in TDM, that involve robbing the flag out from under an enemy's nose) are oh so satisfying!

I just managed to get a nice cap on Drydock* - zipped through the enemy flag post at ~150KM/H, dropped a grenade behind me because a Light Turret was annoying me (some eejit stepped on it instead :D). Just as I got outside our base, I spotted an enemy making a very daring jog towards our flag - I managed to hit the fecker about half a sec before he nabbed the flag and blasted him off our base platform before making the cap. It's pretty amazing how the speed of the game makes even the simplest things feel so incredible :D

*Is Drydock the grassy CTF map with the big mountain in the middle? I can't remember most of the map names :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Username Dermighty

Looking forward to giving this a go when it installs.

Technician Class is win :) Turrets score me so many kills and streaks - depending on the map you have 2 covering the flag or one at the flag and one at the generator. Then just keep things repaired, call in an inventory station when you've got the credits and upgrade the base defences when you can. I'd love to be able to upgrade deployable turrets too, but that may be a bit too OP - they seem to do pretty well as is :)

When do you find it useful to call in inventory stations? I would have thought the money was better spent on upgrading structures

well i had a lot of fun when i started, but looks like everyone got way better at it then me, because i play it only now and then in short burst for half an hour.i got murdered yesterday! i played deathmatch mostly, but started CTF. feck that... turrents just kill me like a fly.
    on the other hand i did snatch the flag today and brought it back home. the damn speed i had ffs! was awesome! :D

after this game MW3 feels like BF3 for me and BF3 feels like Chess master 2000 :D

• Advertisement

I have to say I am really loving the moderm free to play model. I would not have gotten this game at all, but after trying it like this, I am really hooked. I bough that 10eu ish worth of gold just to say thank you to developer and I am prety sure I will spend few more quid on it!

I can't say I agree with this. I liked the original method of selling most things which is a one time purchase. I do not like the direction gaming is going one bit. Even unlockables drive me mad. It seems to be just a way to keep the gamer playing just to unlock various things rather than enjoying the game itself. I will never use some of the weapons in this game because of this. I prefer starcraft 2's approach where you can play online only on certain maps and using only one faction for free. You still get the full game experience to an extent.

I had a funny moment earlier where I was in the air taking out some guy directly above me with the technician SMG. Once he was dispatched I looked down only to see myself on a direct collision course with another enemy speeding along. Perfect chance for a melee. Just as I hit the ground I attempted to melee him only to realise it was my own shadow...! :p

Advertisement