Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: New York City, USA

• 17-02-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I spent most of last week in New York City with my wife and daughter. We stayed at the New York Sheraton on 7th Avenue. We arrived at Newark Liberty Airport on Sunday and a "friendly" Korean man isisted that we use his minivan to travel to Manhattan. He said he would charge $45 which is about $10 lower than a proper taxi. When we got there he wanted $55 because he said he had given us a tour! I gave him $50 and told him that it included a tip. He wasn't happy but went away.
    My daughter bought a pair of Uggs for $170.

2270517715_7d1fa4f639_m.jpg

She didn't get them in Maceys!

She also bought this bag.

2271305822_a50a8e0490_m.jpg

I bought a camera in B&H which I used to take the snaps.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Words to any future readers: Never, ever use unuathorised taxi/cabs. Bad news all round. If they are persistant, make a fuss. They hate that because they know cops/officials will spot it and be down on them like a ton of bricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Harlow Thundering Icebox

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Words to any future readers: Never, ever use unuathorised taxi/cabs. Bad news all round. If they are persistant, make a fuss. They hate that because they know cops/officials will spot it and be down on them like a ton of bricks!

Just to further back that one up.

I arrived home from NYC last year and got the 'official' taxi from JFK ($45 to Manhattan) as I had been warned off the 'un-offical' taxi's..

First off, why are the 'un-official' driver's allowed into JFK to hassle us?.

Anyway a friend went over a few weeks later, and despite my warnings about the un-official cab's he took one, with five friends - GET THIS ONE - the driver charged them $45 EACH to Manhattan!.

Also watch the taxi's in NYC, I had one take me from Century 21 to Ground Zero (WTC).. Now anyone who's been to ground zero know's that Century 21 is AT GROUND ZERO, however it was my first time in NYC and pain €25- (and a fiver tip) for a tour of Manhattan before seeing Ground Zero!!.

Another, later that night.. We got a cab from Times Sq to our hotel on w30th & 5th.. The fare was $6.50 I gave the driver $50- and got change out of TN DOLLAR'S!!.. And like Buffybot says, kick up a stink!.. I did and almost immediately got my proper change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Mad... I got an unofficial one from JFK to NYC. $50 all in, that was between 3 of us n it was in a big comfy Merc Jeep, driver was sound...

Got another one on the way out, we couldnt get a yellow cab cause we'd to many bags and every 7 seater we saw was full. Guy in a huge caddy took us, same again.. Dead sound n helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Those unofficial taxis can be good.
    Went for a week in 2003 with 5 friends, 1 taxi wasnt enough (I have been to NY several times before) So an asian guy came up and asked did we need a big taxi I said "yeah but we only have $10 each" we got to our hotel for 40 dollars!

But on my next trip there with my girlfriend they guy tried to make me pay $100 so i said "ok there's a cop lets ask him how much i should pay" I gave him 40

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

Or better still, you can take a bus from outside JFK. Just tell all the taxis to feck off! Some of them are v good at traping you by just walking off with your bags to their cab and stuff like its the done thing!!..so just say no.

As far as I remember there is a bus just outside terminal 4. If you ask someone at the airport they will tell you how to get it ect..

• Advertisement
Advertisement