Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Magnet TV

• 21-04-2011 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im just wondering can anybody tell me what the craic is with Magnet TV? I know they're good for broadband apparently, but moving to a new apartment block where Sky/UPC isn't available.
    I've got quite accustomed to my Sky channels and most importantly Sky+...

What is Magnets range of channels?
    Can you record TV with it??

Thanks for any help, I dont know anybody with Magnet and searches proved fruitless :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Azureus wrote: »
    Hi
    Im just wondering can anybody tell me what the craic is with Magnet TV? I know they're good for broadband apparently, but moving to a new apartment block where Sky/UPC isn't available.
    I've got quite accustomed to my Sky channels and most importantly Sky+...

What is Magnets range of channels?
    Can you record TV with it??

Thanks for any help, I dont know anybody with Magnet and searches proved fruitless :o

The whole seven channels they provide free are listed here:

https://www.magnetwebtv.ie/web/login.jsp;jsessionid=B5AF42CDCC5D780EC5853B0A3B8613B0

and there homepage is here:makes UPC look the greatest company ever!:)

http://magnet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

7 channels?? WTF!

And Im probably being really thick here but how do you get it to a tv? That says on your pc (sorry, I know Im probably being dozy here).

My letting agent said there was LivingTV etc with them...? No?

Azureus wrote: »
    7 channels?? WTF!

And Im probably being really thick here but how do you get it to a tv? That says on your pc (sorry, I know Im probably being dozy here).

My letting agent said there was LivingTV etc with them...? No?

Sorry i should have been clearer,i am not a subscriber to magnet but the RTE's,TG4.3E and misc channels are free and legal AFAIK.

they offer 23 channels from what i can figure but it is delivered to to a PC.
    there are ways to broadcast your PC to TV,check out their FAQ's

the free and AFAIK legal ones i am getting fine on Eircom NGB 8MB at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Yes their web tv service has only 7 channels for you to watch on your pc.

Im assuming your apartment block has their fibre service. This gives you their broadband and digital tv (on a tv not a pc) with the most popular channels... the list is on the page below:

http://magnet.ie/index.php/Products/fibre-to-the-home.html

Ah, I see.
    Yeah I dont mind about watching tv online, its their digital I was concerned with-I should have been clearer.
    Thats cleared that up-dunno why I couldnt find that myself!
    Thanks a million :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm after leaving magnet for upc.

Better package and CS couldnt be worse

In all the service is grand. The equipment is average at best (though the motorola tv was good at the start but wasnt!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

im in an apartment block with magnet,they dont do a bad digital service & you can get a recordable box but their choice of channels isnt great, ie very basic sceince channels & only 3 music channels but they have the usual uk gold,dave,sky 1,2,3 etc....,you can also get sky movies& sports on a "sky by wire" package

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Sky sports is fairly expensive and if you have multi room you have to pay the an additional fee for sky sports and movies on top of your normal multi room charge. Its 9 or 12 extra. Its quite well hidden too.

TV service has pretty good quality picture but there's only 1 HD channel.

Changing channels is a bit slow too but you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Personally I think their IPTV service is garbage; poor picture quality and a really unresponsive set-top-box. I'm about to cancel and get Sky instead. Slight problem is that if you dump the TV package you have to dump the phone as well, as they have bb only or tv/phone/bb but no phone/bb package, and the cheapest bb package is €50 a month (but to be fair, unlike the tv service, the broadband is pretty good).

So Sky & Magnet BB will cost me 88 a month but I'll have no landline (Skype and mobile will do fine though), versus 72 for the current Magnet package but their phone charges are really expensive so I'll end up ahead I reckon.

• Advertisement

Id love to stay with Sky to be honest, never had any problems with them and Sky+ is a godsend, but in our aprtment block its the only thing they have. Wish I could pause/record etc but that package is crazy expensive, least Ill have broadband to watch anything I miss :D

Yes their web tv service has only 7 channels for you to watch on your pc.

Im assuming your apartment block has their fibre service. This gives you their broadband and digital tv (on a tv not a pc) with the most popular channels... the list is on the page below:

http://magnet.ie/index.php/Products/fibre-to-the-home.html

Hi Irishdudedave i had thought their service was only IPTV,had no idea they offered so many other channels TBH.........:o

not a bad line up all things considered if a person can get neither Sky/Freesat or UPC!

Magnet tv server down all day,no tv channels :mad:

Magnet have added more channels,rte2 hd,rte one+1,rte news now & rte jnr,does any one know if these are all HD as i havnt got hd connection on box but i can hear the channel same as bbc hd

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

delw wrote: »
    Magnet have added more channels,rte2 hd,rte one+1,rte news now & rte jnr,does any one know if these are all HD as i havnt got hd connection on box but i can hear the channel same as bbc hd

Only RTÉ Two HD and only for a small amount of live sports programming is it true HD. Other programmes are upscaled.

Interesting that they have appeared though on Magnet. Means that it can only be a matter of time before they appear on UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi,

Sorry to post in such an old thread but I can't find many threads on magnet TV. I am considering getting magnet TV and broadband but the website is very difficult to navigate. Is there a digital TV option available with magnet or is Aertv it? Can you get something with a stb and a remote?

Is it possible to get more than the 34 aertv channels? I see no info on the website indicating you can, but I havr heard you can get them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads. However feel free to start a new thread. They don't seem to market their TV service any more so no idea if its still going

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement