Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work Experience

Options
  • 24-04-2007 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Post stuff about your work experience here so we know where to go and where not to ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I was in the Belltable in Limerick and it was brilliant!!! But I know a few people who were in the HMV on Cruises' Street and said it was basically slave labour and hated it. Don't know if that's just that one or the whole chain, but I don't think I'll be applying there!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Worked in microsoft in sandyford for a week, and also in pricewaterhousecoopers in town (accountancy firm).

Microsoft was amazing, got to play Age of empires 3 months before it was released (this was 2 years ago). Also other games, and got a cuple of xbox games as a going away pressie. Also, the hot chocolate in star bucks (yes, they have thier own one in the building) was amazing!!

Pricewaterhouse was a bit tedious. Had to do stupid computer work, writing up invoices, i was even allowed to sign off on cheques!! It was easy work but quite boring. I never actually got to work with an accountant, only in the accounts department (day to day running of the firm). Altho i did get a nice healthy 200 euro for my week's work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

i went to a fashion designer...good experience, but secided it wasnt really for me in th end...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

sternn wrote:
    Pricewaterhouse was a bit tedious. Had to do stupid computer work, writing up invoices, i was even allowed to sign off on cheques!! It was easy work but quite boring. I never actually got to work with an accountant, only in the accounts department (day to day running of the firm). Altho i did get a nice healthy 200 euro for my week's work!

Haha did you honestly expect an ACCOUNTANCY firm to be EXCITING?!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

He was most likely expecting to see the kind of work the accountant did, but I suppose the accounts in private limited companies are legally confidential, so thats most likely why he didn't get to see the work. Some people find accountancy exciting, don't knock it Piste :p(although I don't some may do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

#Elites wrote:
    By any chance, while you where doing the Age Of Empires stuff, meet a guy working there called Julian? a french/irish guy?

i also worked in the microsoft game studios and thought it was really interesting, everyone was really sound:D

back to MS for the last week i think, i think it was the Office/Windows Live teams i was told..cant remember..must email them again=/

I was actually based in the language changing part of the offices, but 2 of the days i got to go to product development.
    Can't say I remember someone called Julian. I was with someone called Alan... oh and also got to try out the x-box 360 live, before it was out aswell!!
    Piste wrote:
    Haha did you honestly expect an ACCOUNTANCY firm to be EXCITING?!:p

I didnt obviously expect it to be interesting, i just wanted to see how an accountant worked. However, i wasnt able to do that for some reason...so i was stuck writing up invoices and cheques in the "Accounts Department" which is ironic because i got to see none of the stuff i origionally wanted to see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

i went to ann summers for 1week and to the veritas 4 another week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

cork*girl wrote:
    i went to ann summers for 1week and to the veritas 4 another week

most contrasting one by far:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i was in Sunday world for two weeks.not too bad.Didn't really do anything other than go to the shop for coffee and shred stuff.got paid 80 yo yos at the end of it though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hey peeps, on the off chance that someone actually uses this forum, i have a question:D When do you actually do the work experience? like is it the same dates each year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

your school decides

Oh well they never told us, ah well I'll organise something I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Conor108 wrote:
    Oh well they never told us, ah well I'll organise something I guess

If they didn't tell yis it probably won't be 'till later on in the year. Like mine was in October + November so they told us that in May so we could organise it over the Summer. So yours may be around March so your school will give you info and that in September...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Went to Pro Musica for two weeks.
    Wasn't bad, got a bit bored sorting out chord books all the time, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Went to Pro Musica for two weeks.
    Wasn't bad, got a bit bored sorting out chord books all the time, though...

Pro Musica? Do tell.

I did my first week in Occupational Therapy in different places in Dublin. Most of the time I was sitting around doing nothing, I did/saw maybe 6 or 7 OT related things. Even though I learned a lot about what it entails I was dealing with an aspect of it that I wouldn't really be interested in, it was a bit futile tbh.

For the second week I worked in the cafe in Avoca on Suffolk street. I wanted to get a job waitressing over the Summer and this would've been a way to get experience for me. The people were really nice and I got free food and tbh I really enjoyed being busy and running around the cafe doing things! Plus I gots a €75 gift voucher for Avoca, not as impressive as some as the other stuff I've read on this thread but nice none the less.

hi.im doing ty from september and was wondering:did anyone do work experience in a music store? did you enjoy the experience?
    also applies to somewhere like xtravision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

did anyone do anyone in a music store? did you enjoy the experience?

:eek: Maybe yyou should change that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

LOL :D

Yeah my friend did it in Tower Records. He said it was allright.. he mostly packaged and priced CDs and DVDs and stocked the shelves, etc... but was subjected to some emo girl playing her ****ty CDs all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Jello wrote:
    If they didn't tell yis it probably won't be 'till later on in the year. Like mine was in October + November so they told us that in May so we could organise it over the Summer. So yours may be around March so your school will give you info and that in September...

i organized mine like 2 weeks before hand..

mayb its harder in the big shmoke tho..

also lads, lassies.. id advise ye all to do type for your work experience.. best week of ty ever!:D

http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/outreach/TYPE/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

In my school work experience was 1 day a week for the entire school year. Monday to thursday was school:D .

From September to December I was working in the department of microbiology in UCC which I found really interesting but boring after a while as I already experienced this faculty as I did my Young Scientist project in their labs in 2005.

I tried to get another work placment in the scientific field but failed in doing so, so I ended up taking a few fridays off.

In May I spent a whole week (week off school:D ) in GlaxoSmithKline's pharmaceutical manufacturing operations plant in Cork ( Where else could it be? Cork is the place to be biy!:D ) where I got to see the quality control labs, the microbiology labs, research and development labs, technical development labs and physical and chemical properties lab. I found it to be very beneficial as I always was considering a career in pharmacy and the week there justified that. I also got free meals there for the week as I was a guest and all my food was charged to the respective cards of the labs I was in:D .

• Advertisement

i want to get work in a place without a uniform .......thats the main aim :D

maybe library, my friend did it last year, said it was good and easy enough

Ahhhh! Microsoft won't take TY students and now I need something to do. Any suggestions? Something computer-y I'm thinking! Now...suggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Computer consultancy company/web design company/etc

#Elites wrote:
    You want to work in a Library?

or do you jus want the few weeks doss?

go somewhere where you accauly want to end up!
    Theres savage money to be made as a librarian.

hahahaaha
    nah trying to rack me mind where I could work in Dundalk and kept on part time

Do Dell take TY kiddos? And whats their bloody email? All I can find is email addresses for sales and technical support. And what experience can you do in Trinity?

Wow yeah that would be deadly if you could PM me that:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I'm into media etc and I just got the dates today. I'm going to apply to RTE, TV3, East Coast FM etc etc.

Duno if I stand a chance at getting in but its worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I didn't do a conventional Work Experience...travelled 2 1/2 hours every morning to Wickla everymorning from Northside of Dublin to stand around doing nothing in a garage halfway up the Sugarloaf - Good times :D

Mates did theirs at Tower Records, Waltons, and Gamestop - basically any shops will take you on provided you give them notice and don't expect to get paid :(

• Advertisement

Hmm getting a little bit desperate now, I need to have my form in on the 21st (W/Es not til the 15th)

Emailed Ionet, Microsoft, Google with no joy. I'll email Dell now and can yuo do w/e at Trinity?

Advertisement