Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC for TV/Internet/phone good?

• 23-01-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,
    UPC are giving me a decent quote for going 3 in 1 with them ( TV, phone and internet ). Currently have TV with UPC on digital plus - happy with it, no interest in movie or sport channels.
    Phone and broadband with Eircom - speed is meh at times but usually no complaints.

If I switch to everything with UPC anything I should be aware of? Is there much rewiring needed? Anything else I may not be aware of ? General impressions of the service? Does this mean another new TV box ? Are they any good? Hate the slow channel change and awful menus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

I've just ditched broadband/tv/ hd etc with upc and just gone with broadband off them instead. getting an andriod tv box next week. All sorted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Their phone and broadband is fantastic, much better then anyone else.

The Horizon TV service is better then the service you currently have and I'd say you will be happy with it. Though some people argue that it isn't as good as Sky+

One thing I recommend is to make sure that you get a separate modem, not all integrated in the Horizon box. The Horizon box has awful wifi performance, you will have more flexibility this way.

Don't let their sales people talk you out of doing that, demand they do this and threaten to leave them for Sky if they don't. They definitely do this, they just try to avoid it if they can.

• Personally I would recommend switching the phone and broadband for UPC. I was paying Eircom an excessive amount per year for landline only up until a few months ago before cancelling and switched to using UPC's phone as I already had the broadband with them.

I also have tv with UPC and am happy with the service, I have one of the older digital+ boxes so cannot comment on the new Horizon box for tv or broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the Horizon box and the Wi-Fi is just as good as it was when I had a separate router.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

coylemj wrote: »
    I have the Horizon box and the Wi-Fi is just as good as it was when I had a separate router.

You mean it is equally as bad as UPC's separate routers!

The advantage of de-consolidating and having a separate UPC router, is that the UPC routers can be bridged (put into modem only mode) with a hack and you can then use your own far superior 802.11ac router with them. Just gives you greater flexibility.

Don't get me wrong, if you are happy with the performance of the Horizon box, then great, work away with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bk wrote: »
    You mean it is equally as bad as UPC's separate routers!

The advantage of de-consolidating and having a separate UPC router, is that the UPC routers can be bridged (put into modem only mode) with a hack and you can then use your own far superior 802.11ac router with them. Just gives you greater flexibility.

Don't get me wrong, if you are happy with the performance of the Horizon box, then great, work away with that.

No, in my case it is equally as good as the separate router.

Laptops, tablets and mobile phones connect perfectly well from all around the house to the Horizon Wi-Fi and if I want to watch a Netflix program in bed, I can disconnect the Apple TV device (normally cable-attached beside the Horizon box) and bring it up to the bedroom where it also works perfectly well off the Horizon Wi-Fi.

Sure, not saying Horizon wifi doesn't work, it does. Just that you end up getting a fraction of the speed being delivered by UPC to the box.

With a better router, then you can get much closer to the full speed.

But if you are happy with what you are getting at the moment, then no need to change.

Advertisement