Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest against cuts and Government greed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

FRIENDO wrote: »
    "What qualification do you have to point and say"

To answer your question,
    I am a citizen of Ireland, a husband, a Father, a single income earning family who is struggling to stay afloate.

Best of luck at the meeting Friendo - but be very wary of easy answers and people telling you stuff you want to hear. I personally have no moral or ideological problems with taxing rich people more or having a 'wealth tax', but I do have a pragmatic problem with it - I just think that the rich people will move their money abroad, which will mean we (non-rich people) miss out on even more.

Ask hard questions, and beware easy answers!

FRIENDO wrote: »
    "What qualification do you have to point and say"

To answer your question,
    I am a citizen of Ireland, a husband, a Father, a single income earning family who is struggling to stay afloate.

Citizenship is a license to ignore the fundamental problems facing the economy and to remain uninformed politically, while at the same time purporting to have better solutions for Ireland than the government that was mandated by the people of this country just over a year ago?

You're right, I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

bmaxi wrote: »
    Certainly Wallace has questions to answer but in his defence you'd have to say while his actions were reckless and he should be made to pay for them, they were not underhand and illegal.

Of course we're not forgetting this, right:

Independent TD Mick Wallace has been fined €7,000 for failing to pay pension contributions for his workers into their pension fund.

Mr Wallace pleaded guilty to five charges of deducting pension contributions and failing to pay them in the Construction Workers Pension Scheme between January and May 2008.

He was fined €1,000 for each of the first four charges and €3,000 for the final count.

Judge James Paul McDonnell said the courts take a very serious view of such offences.

Outside court, Mr Wallace said it was a very serious matter but all the money had now been paid over.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1205/wallacem.html

At least he admitted he was wrong.

As for Paul Kehoe. Of course he wouldn't have had to register the property in 2010- he only bought the apartment in June. Registrations are made in January. If the property was vacant in January 2011, when he would have been registering his interests, surely he wouldn't have had to declare it? The article states that it was rented in the summer of that year. The rules as quoted in the article state that disclosure must be made for all or part of the previous year- so he should have declared an interest in January of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Mick wallaces debts are nothing to do with Irelands bank guarantee, he owes the money to foreign banks and last I heard they were being serviced.

But hey its a lot easier to find sh1t than solutions

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Mick wallaces debts are nothing to do with Irelands bank guarantee, he owes the money to foreign banks and last I heard they were being serviced.
    He owes money to lots of banks, some of them nationalised.
    Mr Wallace, who has total debts exceeding €40 million, told The Irish Times at the weekend that he swore a statement for the bank last week setting out all he and his company owned.

He said he had no idea what the bank now intended to do or whether it would take bankruptcy proceedings.

The bank appointed a receiver in May 2011 but Mr Wallace said this applied to the assets of his company and not the company itself. He said that although the company was still trading and employing a few staff, it was effectively “finished”.

Since the judgment against the company, it has struggled to find good work. He said he would not be able to repay his debts because the value of his assets had greatly diminished.

The other banks to which he owed money – which include AIB, Bank of Scotland (Ireland) and Ulster Bank – had so far not followed the example of ACC by pursuing him in the courts, and he still had a good working relationship with them.
    It's not a matter of digging up dirt any more than the Paul Kehoe stuff is digging up dirt - it's very relevant. A developer who isn't paying back millions in debts purporting to represent ordinary people who are in trouble because of developers not paying back millions in debts... (well, among other problems)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Citizenship is a license to ignore the fundamental problems facing the economy and to remain uninformed politically, while at the same time purporting to have better solutions for Ireland than the government that was mandated by the people of this country just over a year ago?

You're right, I suppose!

In your own words

"An awful lot of words used to say very little."

Is this how FG, LAB and FF tell the people to stay on our knees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Great meeting in Gorey tonight, organisers had to get extra seats. Thanks to all the People.

A great showing from wexford at the conference today I heard we made the news but i missed it.

We made a good representation for the county and had all but one of our motions passed on the day with one being referred to the steering comitte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

But hey its a lot easier to find sh1t than solutions

Doesnt matter who he owes the money to fact is he is giving people advice on what to do or not to do with their money and he is constantly banging on about the bank guarantee and bailouts all the while he owes banks whether Irish or not tens if not hundreds of millions. Wallace is the worlds greatest hypocrite at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

donalg1 wrote: »
    Doesnt matter who he owes the money to fact is he is giving people advice on what to do or not to do with their money and he is constantly banging on about the bank guarantee and bailouts all the while he owes banks whether Irish or not tens if not hundreds of millions. Wallace is the worlds greatest hypocrite at best.

Nonsense. The man owes a shed load of money and has never shirked away from it. He is happy to declare where he made mistakes and is honouring his personal guarantees, even though it it is unlikely to cover the total. Mad as a bag of spanners but if more developers followed his lead, it would make the pain of the ordinary citizen a bit more palatable.

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »

Nonsense. The man owes a shed load of money and has never shirked away from it. He is happy to declare where he made mistakes and is honouring his personal guarantees, even though it it is unlikely to cover the total. Mad as a bag of spanners but if more developers followed his lead, it would make the pain of the ordinary citizen a bit more palatable.

Exactly unlikely to cover it. So by his example we should all borrow a tonne of money that we never have any hope of repaying then say well I made a mistake but I'll try to repay all the money although it's unlikely I'll be able to pay it in full.

In the meantime to cut costs I will avoid paying into the pension schemes of my employees sack a few people but retain my nice big BMW jeep cause god forbid I have to suffer from my mistakes

Exactly unlikely to cover it. So by his example we should all borrow a tonne of money that we never have any hope of repaying then say well I made a mistake but I'll try to repay all the money although it's unlikely I'll be able to pay it in full.

In the meantime to cut costs I will avoid paying into the pension schemes of my employees sack a few people but retain my nice big BMW jeep cause god forbid I have to suffer from my mistakes
    And earn a handy figure as a TD.

Gathering at vinegar hill today, assemble 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gathering at vinegar hill today, assemble 3pm

How did this go after?

Now we have rumours of property taxes to be taken at source from PAYE workers while as usual the fat cats would be exempt.

It was seriously windy up there, and there were only 1.8 pikes, small enough turnout. Sickner tho was that Paul keogh drove up for a gawp and took off again, I thought they were mess in when they said it was him and before we could get a bit of a blockade operational he was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

zerks wrote: »
    Now we have rumours of property taxes to be taken at source from PAYE workers while as usual the fat cats would be exempt.

Lets just wait the legislation on the property tax rather than discussing rumours.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

MOD NOTE.
    I have removed some posts here they are now in the Mick Wallace thread. There is already a thread regarding Mick Wallace.

scaller wrote: »
    MOD NOTE.
    I have removed some posts here they are now in the Mick Wallace thread. There is already a thread regarding Mick Wallace.
    Apologies for going o/t there.

Public Meeting 8PM in the community centre Castlebridge

They're trying to start a local group in the area but as usual all are welcome

We'll be having a public meeting in Rosslare

Wednesday 8PM
    Harbour View hotel
    Rosslare Harbour

again all are welcome to attend

the castlebridge meeting is about forming a local action group si might be of intertest to anyone interested in becoming involved

the Rosslare Meeting group is a bit more established so a fair whack of our meeting will be me and the others reporting back on what we've done since the last meeting, National Steering committee and Protests locally

What are the protests against or about? What cuts are you protesting about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Will they be happening in any other parts of ireland,and where abouts is rosslare situated?

Will they be happening in any other parts of ireland,and where abouts is rosslare situated?

http://www.harbourviewhotel.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=65

Have a look here
    www.nohouseholdtax.org
    Theres an events section which has a map wit all the groups on it, if there are no events listed for your group you can still find out info from so done in the campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Perhaps people would be better off complaining about this? I see in the IT this morning that Wexford had no foreign direct investment site visits this year or last..perhaps this is a more appropriate issue to examine and put press elected representatives on?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0626/1224318727178.html

I've mentioned this situation before about lack of investment in the county.Our much vaunted TD's have sat on their fat salaries & done shag all for the region.Doesn't matter which party they are from-they are all culpable.

We are little over an hours drive from Dublin City centre & have a Europort yet can't attract any foreign industry,I suppose a foreign investor isn't going to look at the County if they aren't told about it,what the FUCK do our TD's actually do? I don't want anyone to spout on about parish pump politics:This isn't about somebody getting planning permission or potholes filled,this is about jobs for a region that has massive unemployment,of course our representatives don't have to worry about money or finding a job,they are set for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

So why did Kenny and Bruton turn up in Waterford yesterday.

Nothing else , but for a clap on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭jpb1974

You need a brilliant idea, that at the very least is sustainable.

You need good business acumen and a business plan. Not exactly growing on trees now.

You need money behind you in an environment where banks are slow to lend.

Can you survive for 12-24 months on no income? Can your family?

Consumer spending is pretty low at the moment, so the market isn't great (depending on the good/service you intend to supply).

Looking at the small businesses in the current climate, there are a significant amount of them struggling or closing. No exactly enticing.

Now.. good luck to anyone who's prepared to take the risk, but it wouldn't be for me and probably not for a lot of people.

Large companies have the resources, have the backing and typically can absorb the risk... we need more of them.

The South-East Action Plan is already in place , but unfortunately Waterford seems to be the main focus area.

http://www.forfas.ie/publication/search.jsp?ft=/publications/2011/title,8631,en.php

According to the NR Standard , Richard Bruton was in Talbot Hotel Wexford yesterday and met local business men where he hosted a conference on an Action Plan on jobs .

He also apparently told the IDA to make a greater effort in sponsoring site visits in Co. Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Warning.
    I have had to remove over 25 posts here because of arguments.
    Any more Argy Bargy or Poster Picking and Posters here will be GOING out of the Wexford forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement