Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CBR 400rr any toughts?

Options
  • 01-03-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hey bikers,

Iv recently decided to get back driving bikes since I can now afford running a car and a bike, Its been about 2 years since iv owned a bike but Im very experienced with bikes. I refuse to go back to anything lower then a 250cc since they dont provide me with the thrill they used to when i was younger, so im looking at a CBR 400rr, jap import. Im just about to turn 21 and no insurance will touch me on any higher cc bike.

Has anyone owned one of these or know much about them? I wana see if I should hold out a bit and save for an SV650 or CBR600rr (restricted)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

In my opinion there's no point waiting and saving your money to buy a cbr600 or the like. Chances are you will not get insurance on a bike like this until you turn 25 or until you build up your no claims bonus on a smaller bike. If you had insurance a couple of years ago and did not renew it then your no claims bonus will also be gone, at least that's what I understand form some of the post I have read here on Boards. From what I understand some of the guys could not use there no claims when returning to biking due to the fact it had been so long since they had insurance. If I were you I would check this with the insurance company's first just to be sure.

You would probably be better off just to get your 400 and build up your no claims bonus again then in a years time you can think about getting the bike you really want. Also if you are on a provisional you could get lessons and do your test. This will help you get insurance on bigger bikes if that's what you want and also reduce the cost of your insurance:D.

By the way it the insurance company's wont quote you for a CBR 600 even if it is restricted, They will consider you a new rider on a provisional which means you will have to start at the beginning again:(.

My two cent, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

CBR 400 should be fine.

by the way - if you're only 20 - and you've been off bikes for two years - that means you STOPPED driving bikes when you were 19 or so??? i wouldn't call that 'very experienced'. enjoy your new bike - but dont be too cocky on it and drive safe;) best of luck with it.

edit: ps - i've always thought the RVF400s are a nice bike, have you thought about one at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

eVo,i am just new here and back on the bike myself only a few days,but i have a 250 cbr rr and i have to say having had a number of 600 cbr,s in germany before ,the 250 has plenty of go to make your eyes roll back:rolleyes:,and more then enouth go to be happy with it for a year or so to build up the confidence and skill needed to go on a bigger bike, that was my thinking on it when i started playing with trhe idea 1 year ago to get back on the bike again ,you see a lot of thould went in to it .....:)so the 400 is a fine bike and you will have a lot of fun with it for some time to come......stay safe and take care of you and each other.....

Advertisement