Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ABS - how good is it?

Options
  • 21-02-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

I am currently considering what bike I will buy next. As its for touring and because I need something which has a fairly upright riding position (due to an old injury) I am thinking about the BMW R1200 GS. I have seen one secondhand at reasonable money but I'm fairly sure that it doesn't have ABS.

My understanding of ABS in a car is that in an emergency you should slam on the pedal and let the ABS do the work. If you attempt to release/control the braking yourself you will only interfere with the operation of the ABS system. I have several years bike riding experience (without ABS) and would find it difficult to resist controlling the braking myself in an emergency on a bike (no problem doing so in a car) so am I better off without it when it comes to bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have it on the R1150RT and it has saved me a couple of times, you can still control it yourself if you want to. Its much the same as a standard setup except for that hammer on the brakes situation, then it earns its keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I had a 1150gs and a 1200gsa, the ABS on the 1200 is great. on the 1150 it was a bit ropey, it went on a bit early, or if you braked on bumps it went on.
    The abs on the 1200 is great though, i'd get it if available. But it wouldn't put me off getting a bike if it didn't have it. You do have a lot more confidence breaking hard in bad conditions. have a look at the ukgser forum, loads of stuff on it!
    All in all, abs is good. Servo breaks are terrible though, i'd avoid them if you can:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

+1 on the ABS on a 1200GS.

It's saved my neck a few times when certain numpties pull out in front.

Definitely avoid servo brakes -- basically you've got no brakes without the engine running.

check out www.ukgser.com - for info, there's both for and against abs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You can't buy a GS12 without ABS iirc.......

colm_c - as someone who's had the servo's save my bacon, I can't agree. When you consider the servo system your talking about is in fact the ABS pump, then there's no way to avoid that anyway ! :P

OP - Don't worry, you'll adjust, and then realise what a great boon they are - ABS has saved my bacon twice in total, so far, on an R1100RT and an R1150RT. Not everyone does, but I really liked the Servo system.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

galwaytt wrote: »
    You can't buy a GS12 without ABS iirc.......

colm_c - as someone who's had the servo's save my bacon, I can't agree. When you consider the servo system your talking about is in fact the ABS pump, then there's no way to avoid that anyway ! :P

OP - Don't worry, you'll adjust, and then realise what a great boon they are - ABS has saved my bacon twice in total, so far, on an R1100RT and an R1150RT. Not everyone does, but I really liked the Servo system.

New GS12's come with ABS as standard but you can get previous generations - '05/'06/'07 without ABS.

Servos are a good alternative to ABS but call me crazy I don't like having no brakes with the engine switched off, esp on a bike that weights 300kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I hate the servos. They're on my 1200 adv, once they didn't come on and the bike doesn't stop:eek:! The abs light was flashing, i should have noticed. But no servos, no problem! You do have slight brakes without the servos, enough to manouver around the garage.
    I hate stopping on a hill with the servos. You slightly let your foot off the back brake and the servo lets off too much and the bike rolls. A lot of guys get the servo kit removed as far as I know! I don't hate it that much.
    The automatic indicator switching off is my pet hate on the GS!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_c wrote: »
    Servos are a good alternative to ABS but call me crazy I don't like having no brakes with the engine switched off, esp on a bike that weights 300kg.
    Quint wrote: »
    I hate the servos. They're on my 1200 adv, once they didn't come on and the bike doesn't stop:eek:! The abs light was flashing, i should have noticed. But no servos, no problem! You do have slight brakes without the servos, enough to manouver around the garage.
    I hate stopping on a hill with the servos. You slightly let your foot off the back brake and the servo lets off too much and the bike rolls. A lot of guys get the servo kit removed as far as I know! I don't hate it that much.
    The automatic indicator switching off is my pet hate on the GS!

You can't remove the servo's and still have ABS - it's one pump, doing both jobs.

This single biggest reason for flashing ABS lights on Bee Emms - and I've had 20+ - is poor battery voltage, or, going to start too quickyly from power-on. What I mean is, you turn the ign key to on, and hit the start button straight away. The problem with this is, the electronic system hasn't finished boot-up and system check, and system hasn't reached full voltage sometimes, and next thing the bike is running. As a default measure, for safety, the ABS goes into error - the flashing light - and in a servo bike, the servos will stay powered off. You don't lose braking, you have reduced effort only. You'll know this is true if you just stop, knock off the bike, re-power and start up, properly. No flashing ABS light.

If you think about it, you turn on ign and prod the starter button very quickly - quicker than the computer can run around the bike and check everything.

There was an official bulleting issued by BMW NL a few years ago, and the wisdom imparted then, was........turn on ign, and wait 5 seconds before hitting the starter button. So there you have it - ign on, count to 5 !! Then start !!

As for hill-rolling.........don't let go the brake 'til the clutch bites ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement