Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A4 vs. Passat vs.Superb vs. Avensis

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Been reading up a bit more on the 2.0 TDi engine and its becoming clearer and clearer that its a far superior engine when paired against the 1.9. Time to ring the dealer methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If you're thinking of an S40 then you may aswell include a 159 in the search. Might aswell have a nice looking car while it depreciates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

How about you spent 20K on a 03 A4 130 bhp TDi and put the other 19K back under the matress.

or you could buy a new octavia and sell it in a year or two and only loose a few grand on it. then maybe there will be something thats actually worth 40K, which is still a shed load of cash. Skinflint me :D

Or how about the IS 220D or 320D?

320d would be a good machine alright, if a little bland and sparsly populated with extras, and a little small in the back. IS220d I haven't driven yet, didn't get all that good of a write up, but at that price anyway I'd just go for the accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Biro wrote:
    If you're thinking of an S40 then you may aswell include a 159 in the search. Might aswell have a nice looking car while it depreciates!

Also the Ford Focus. The S40 is just a Focus, with glad rags on...

• Advertisement

Biro wrote:

Ah yes, the much quoted 33% return on list price after 36000 miles statistic that Ive seen on a lot of websites since last night!! "Run Away!":D
    Biro wrote:
    320d would be a good machine alright, if a little bland and sparsly populated with extras, and a little small in the back. IS220d I haven't driven yet, didn't get all that good of a write up, but at that price anyway I'd just go for the accord.

Yeah the standard kit in the 320d is ridiculous and to be honest we werent impressed by the look of the new BM's. Bit bland and boring.

IS220D starts somewhere around €46k (i think,open to corrections) so is well out of budget.

Had a chat last night with dad and passed on the points raised on the forum. The fact that the A4 is changing at the end of the year concerns him, as does the worries raised about the age and performance of the 1.9TDi lump as opposed to the new 2.0TDi. The Volvo, Mondeo and Accord didnt appeal to him, Volvo for proximity of dealership and depreciation, Mondeo through general distrust of Ford and the Accord for no good reason at all, he just didnt like it! I was very impressed by the various 06 Accords suggested but he is the man with the cash so its not a runner.Also its a 07 car he is looking for.

Could someone do me a comparison of the 2.0 TDi A4 over the 1.9TDi? MPG,Service Intervals, Resale etc.

Again thanks for all the help, advice and patience.

Edit: Spelling mistakes, they make me cross!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Spit62500 wrote:
    WildWater wrote:
    In my experience the absolute worst thing about buying a Toyota is the sales people in the dealerships. Unfriendly, unhelpful and unknowledgeable, and unwilling to do anything other than the most basic sales pitch. :mad:

Would agree where a few of the Dublin dealers are concerned. Had the opposite experience in Naas last week and ended up buying a car, partly because of the hassle free experience. Even the receptionist seemed to enjoy her job which isn't always the case.

There's always a queue to see a good salesman in any dealership, but I find it more so with my uncle in the Toyota dealership, other people come up and hassle the salespeople when they're already with someone

All marques will have varying customer service depending on the dealership. I'd put a complaint in if you end up buying.

Merc & VW customer Service are the most varying, but mainly at the lower end of the scale

Skoda's prob the best value for money but you'll be locked into the brand if you want anything back on it. Same goes for a Fiat Croma, which is a decent car by all accounts.

What about an IS220 or a Saab 9-3???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

the Lexus and Saab aren't the cheapest, sorry!!! and the Saab will depreciate like it's Vectra sister (if not worse), but still has different plant under the bonnet AFAIK

Saab and Vectra are using the 1.9 diesels from the Fiat/Alfa group. Excellent engine.
    Pity he doesn't like the Accord. Thats most people in this country though, for no real reason they don't like Hondas. Best car maker of them all really!
    You can't really compare the VAG 2.0 to the 1.9 on paper, figures won't seem like all that much. It's slightly less economical, more power and torque, more refined and far better power delivery, which is the key point in this engine.
    He has no option now cause he's so fussy ( :p ) but to go for the A4. Just buy the one he can afford and don't worry any more about it.
    It'll depreciate a little more than the beemer but less than most in that range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

don't overanalyse... it's just a car!

step 1) of the cars you like find ones that will actually physically suit your needs.. perhpas the A4 is too small for 3 in the rear, depending on usage.

step 2) based on what I've read here... with the remaining list just buy the one that will depreciate the least, or that you think will.

• Advertisement

Well lads its been a long struggle but an Audi A4 1.9TDi LE has been ordered as of ten minutes ago for nearly €4k off list price so the big fellas happy.

Thanks for all the comments,opinions and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

bigkev49 wrote:
    ...for nearly €4k off list price...

so what was the total as a matter of interest ? I'm looking at buying a used one of these, so interested in the depreciation in the first few years...

m_stan wrote:
    so what was the total as a matter of interest ? I'm looking at buying a used one of these, so interested in the depreciation in the first few years...
    €37300 all told. The list price varied between garages but the average was about €41k.

You can buy a used one from here in about 3 years if your interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bigkev49 wrote:
    Well lads its been a long struggle but an Audi A4 1.9TDi LE has been ordered as of ten minutes ago for nearly €4k off list price so the big fellas happy

Nice one, that's about 10% discount. Result! :)

Pity so few people in Ireland seem to negotiate (hard) when buying a brand new car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

bigkev49 wrote:
    Well lads its been a long struggle but an Audi A4 1.9TDi LE has been ordered as of ten minutes ago for nearly €4k off list price so the big fellas happy.

Thanks for all the comments,opinions and advice.

Whats the LE? Sure its not the SE version?

Moanin wrote:
    Whats the LE? Sure its not the SE version?

Yup its a limited edition model. It has chrome surrounds and quattro wheels, also has an upgraded stereo and leather steering wheel. doesnt have the multi function steering wheel of the SE or the horrilbe walnut surrond of the SE either.

Not a huge difference all told but the wheels are nice and the chrome adds a lil something extra.

Thats more or less it there, not sure if the wheels are exactly the same but you get the impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Biro wrote:
    most people in this country though, for no real reason they don't like Hondas

I think a lot of people in this country do like Hondas

But for some reason Honda has been pricing their cars here at premium rates in recent years compared with the competition, which makes them too expensive

Hondas in the UK are priced more realistically and attract a higher market share iirc. Anybody any stats on Honda sales as a percentage of all cars sold here and in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    I think a lot of people in this country do like Hondas

But for some reason Honda has been pricing their cars here at premium rates in recent years compared with the competition, which makes them too expensive

Hondas in the UK are priced more realistically and attract a higher market share iirc. Anybody any stats on Honda sales as a percentage of all cars sold here and in the UK?

Agree, the Accord is expensive but look at it another way. The 2.2 diesel Accord costs around €43k, it comes with a very high standard spec as standard including leather electric seats, cruise control, climate control, electric sunroof, cd changer, etc.

Take the A4/Passat and tick the options that the Accord has and just watch the price take off. Some people would be quite happy to pay for the privilage of having the VAG A4/Passat. I just don't see what makes the A4/Passat more acceptable as a premium car over the Accord in this case to some people myself.

bazz26 wrote:
    Agree, the Accord is expensive but look at it another way. The 2.2 diesel Accord costs around €43k, it comes with a very high standard spec as standard including leather electric seats, cruise control, climate control, electric sunroof, cd changer, etc.

Take the A4/Passat and tick the options that the Accord has and just watch the price take off. Some people would be quite happy to pay for the privilage of having the VAG A4/Passat. I just don't see what makes the A4/Passat more acceptable as a premium car over the Accord in this case to some people myself.
    I'd go for the accord over the A4 or 320d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

bigkev49 wrote:
    any more opinions lads?

they are greatly appreciated. Myself an the oul fella have been going round in circles for bout 6 weeks now so any fresh opinions are highly valued.

dont buy an a4 very small car, more expensive to service, and same engine as vw! 7k difference between the a4 and toyota...

i sold a volvo and went back to toyota and i got the luna 2.0d 6 speed saloon
    its very well spec'd and is very roomy.. im averaging over 50 mpg on it...

also 3 yr warranty and vw only give 2. also toyota reliable!

check out the prices of the avensis 2.0D on carzone they hold their value well, and would be easier to sell on second hand !

• Advertisement
Advertisement