Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S5E5 - Kill the Boy - HAVE READ the books.

Options
  • 11-05-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭

Thinly veiled greyscale shocker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Not seen it yet....But someone has got to get Greyscale after it being mentioned 3 times in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Passed the halfway point now and lookin back, they've got through an awful lot of the books already. Arya is in training, Jon is LC and already his friends are turning on him. Cercei has the faith militant doing their thing. Poor blind Cercei.. Brienne is waiting to pounce on Winterfell, whether to save Sansa or Kill Stannis I don't know. Stannis is on the war march. I really hope we get an actual battle unlike the cold stalemate we got in the books. Most of us knew Daenerys was going to marry Hizdahr this season, hopefully this happens sooner rather than later as the aftermath of that would be a great way to end episode 9 but a boring episode 10 cliffhanger.

It's kind of hard to judge this episode as it's clearly only setting us up for the second part of the season but any fears we had that season 5 would be slow have been definitively allayed. They're doing the exact opposite and cramming too much into every episode. Jesus imagine they left the Ironborn storyline in it too. I reckon, going by the pacing of the season so far, that readers will have a couple of questions answered by the end of the 10th episode. Jon's parentage and his kinda demise come to mind. But us usual there's gonna be more and more questions. Jorah has greyscale? Barristan is dead? These will affect the story down the line and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Anybody got that hint when Aemon was talking to Sam about him and Dany being the last Targaryen and that he can't help her because she's far away and all of a sudden Jon appears.....big hint in my opinion.

If there are only 2 seasons and a half left then we might get that shocking scene about Jon being stabbed this season rather than next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I feel this episode should have ended with Tyrion being dragged down, it's like they don't really want any suspense. I was kind of happy with the screen going black as I thought it was the end and it would have been a fun ending. Greyscale seems like a fast moving disease too and unlike anything I've ever seen in my life :p I feel Jon Con had it for a good while in the books before anything showed.

Not sure what's to be gained from Jon becoming LC and then leaving for a few weeks with presumably Ser Alliser in command, I reckon he just wont be allowed back in or something rather than being stabbed and have to face some White Walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I reckon Sansa is gonna do something to Fat Walda (kill her or worse) and that unborn Bolton and frame Ramsey for it. Set Roose against Ramsey and get some long awaited Northern revenge. I think we're in store for the Battle on the ice this season by the looks of things too.

But on a sour note, is the Grey Worm - Missandei romance the most infuriatingly pointless thing in the universe right now ? Why is it still here wasting precious screen time ?

• Advertisement

Who sent that letter to Aemon?

alwald wrote: »
    Who sent that letter to Aemon?

Presumably Barristan? Aemon would have been around KL the same time as him and he was fiercely loyal to the Targs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I reckon Sansa is gonna do something to Fat Walda (kill her or worse) and that unborn Bolton and frame Ramsey for it. Set Roose against Ramsey and get some long awaited Northern revenge. I think we're in store for the Battle on the ice this season by the looks of things too.

But on a sour note, is the Grey Worm - Missandei romance the most infuriatingly pointless thing in the universe right now ? Why is it still here wasting precious screen time ?

They killed Barristan but kept this love story in. This is unforgivable.. And they even pointed out that he should've died like a hero, not ambushed in a back alley by some mask wearing pussies. Do they think pointing this out will make it better? Fúckin Grey Worm would want to have a monumentally huge part in the story to come to warrant Ser Barristan dying the way he did..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Love the way the tv series is going. The last few episodes have been a bit cheesy but I really enjoyed this one.

Im not at all bothered about the changes, most people haven't read lotr because there are too many characters and names, condensing everything down is a great way to keep the show accessible. I was only thinking that Jorah would be getting gray scale and that Griff wouldn't be in the show.

There are now genuine Wtf moments for me in the show where as before it was ahh they didn't do this or that right.

From watching the "previously on got" clip. I thought we were going to see Rikon in this episode. It was reminding us of him and bran but showed rick on quite a bit.

"Baristan The Bold they called him, and he died in an alley" I feel like this is right up GRRM's..... alley.... Super hero character dies in a seemingly mundanely cruel or brutal fahsion. Because you know, the world is full of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Fully expecting fAegon to be cut now, I think Jorah will resume JonCon's role as the source of greyscale in Westeros. Tyrion's face when he saw Drogon was absolutely brilliant. I think Jon will die and expect the resurrection to be the last scene of the season, as it would be too difficult to hide the fact that he's filming if they left it as a cliffhanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I literally yelled "Fúck off" at the TV when that scene came on and fast forwarded. It adds nothing!!

I know it's going to pay off but when the old lady gave Sansa that message I was like "Yeh because when Ramsey is raping and flaying her he's really gonna let her go off and light a candle". I'm presuming it will either be Stannis or Brienne who responds when it eventually happens.

jebidiah wrote:
    From watching the "previously on got" clip. I thought we were going to see Rikon in this episode. It was reminding us of him and bran but showed rick on quite a bit.

They don't do a 'previously' do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

FunLover18 wrote: »
    They don't do a 'previously' do they?

They do on the televised version ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It's been a good enough season so far but has definitely lacked a big, game-changing event. I suppose we're still building up to it but I hope there's something soon.

I'm unsure at this point if it'll overtake the timeline of the books or not. I'm thinking it'll finish at around the same point. I suppose it's a good thing because it might or might not light a fire under George Martin to get the next book out.

I hate to be a moaning Michael because I am enjoying the season but I really feel like they could have done all this over two seasons. There's some smaller story arcs like Barristan's death, Mance's death, John being elected etc that would have been a fine ending for the season. That way we could have had the Greyjoys. I don't really care much for Aegon or Lady Stoneheart so I'm not one of those book readers who whines about everything in the books not being there, but more and more I'm thinking the Greyjoys were a huge omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

They do on the televised version ;)

It also depends on where you stream from ;)

jebidiah wrote: »
    Love the way the tv series is going. The last few episodes have been a bit cheesy but I really enjoyed this one.

Im not at all bothered about the changes, most people haven't read lotr because there are too many characters and names, condensing everything down is a great way to keep the show accessible. I was only thinking that Jorah would be getting gray scale and that Griff wouldn't be in the show.

There are now genuine Wtf moments for me in the show where as before it was ahh they didn't do this or that right.

"Baristan The Bold they called him, and he died in an alley" I feel like this is right up GRRM's..... alley.... Super hero character dies in a seemingly mundanely cruel or brutal fahsion. Because you know, the world is full of ****.
    In Lord of the Rings the same things happen as in the books. They cut out some minor character arcs, that were concurrent to the main story, not complete portions of books because they need to show us a boob scene an episode and some strange convoluted love story that is possibly the most pointless thing ever put on television.

That said I'm enjoying the stuff that actually pertains to the books. The scenes at the Wall were quite interesting though I feel like the Wall, KL, Dorne and Winterfell are the only places in Westeros being given any time and even then they are left out of episodes. No mention of the Riverlands, Iron Islands, rare mentions of the northerners but Stannis isn't going to be using them. I think it's to do with different directors for each episode that they want some arc to each episode rather than telling a coherent story. It's a collection of sometimes great scenes but the overall story being all over the shop because they bit off more than they could chew and didn't plan ahead early on.

Cutting out the Ironborn after the time they gave them and the buildup of Balon as one of the kings, not to mention Shireen and Selyse being dropped and brought back when they realised they needed them just reeks of poor planning from the start. They could have kept it tighter early on but when they got success they started adding characters that in the books could be fleshed out but in terms of TV logistics was never going to be sustainable. So now they presumably have a bunch of pretty high level actors and actresses just on retainer for a few cameos every season because they've stuck with the ten episode seasons which hasn't been enough since series 2.

They do on the televised version

They don't on Sky Atlantic ... Do they!? I've never seen a previously for GoT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

FunLover18 wrote: »
    They don't on Sky Atlantic ... Do they!? I've never seen a previously for GoT

They don't on Sky.

American audiences might need the refresher.

5 more episodes to go....I wish they can be leaked :D:D.

Looking at the pace of this season and the possible events that will happen I really think that the show will go beyond the books by the end of the season, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Jorah's storyline will be very interesting now, Jon Snow leaving too soon can lead to his stabbing/burning by episode 9....Brienne close to Sansa with Stannis moving there and the wifey pregnant, I can see way too many scenarios and twists coming up, will Brienne kill Stannis, will Sansa kill the wife and the unborn child??

Lads!! We have a Bolton-Stark wedding on the horizon, Roose's wife is pregnant, Brienne is outstide Winterfell, and Stannis is on the way.

Red Wedding 2; Redder Wedding me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Don't get why they killed him, after the fighting pits are opened and Daenerys flies off with Drogon who will rule now, makes no sense to me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Don't get why they killed him, after the fighting pits are opened and Daenerys flies off with Drogon who will rule now, makes no sense to me.

Possibly the dothraki/drogon tryst will not feature on the tv series. Theres no stuff about yunkai etc either and the next job for Dany is to probably say shes now learned how to rule, gather up a few boats, soldiers and dragons and land in westeros to cheers and salutations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

When Sam was talking to the Targaryen Maester about Daenerys and he said that a Targaryen left alone in the world was a terrible thing. Then Jon appears. I like to think thats another little hint at whats to come.
    Anyone agree or am I being silly?

They can't cut the Drogon scene though, the locust poisoning arc will be cut as there is no Strong Belwis, Varys or Ser Jorah may take Ser Barristans place down the line but it is a character cut that screws this up in my eyes.

If they have cut the two Griffs arc completely then she may end up in Westeros sooner rather than later but I hope it's on the back of Drogon, that bloody love story crap is stupid too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Sorry to be crude but during the Grey Worm/Missandei scene I couldn't help but shout "He has no cock!" at the screen. I mean, wtf?

Have they really cut Griff and young Griff? I wondered when Aemon was talking about a Targaryen alone was that a hint to future Targaryens (not Jon Snow...).

I loved the stone men scene, I think Jorah fits well with that storyline.

I'm looking forward to Winterfellmageddon!!

Classic Roose Bolton telling Ramsay how he raped his mother lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

When Sam was talking to the Targaryen Maester about Daenerys and he said that a Targaryen left alone in the world was a terrible thing. Then Jon appears. I like to think thats another little hint at whats to come.
    Anyone agree or am I being silly?

Yeah I thought exactly the same.

I enjoyed that episode, much better than last week's. Sansa has gone from being one of the dullest characters to one of the most interesting, I'm really enjoying her arc this season.

Saw this posted on Reddit...

36gU2XW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Correct me if I'm wrong as I've only read the books through once, but didn't Milisandre remain at castle black in the books after coming to believe Jon and not Stannis was the reincarnation of Azhor Ahai, thus making her available to resurrect Jon after he is betrayed. If she isn't staying behind it makes one wonder will there be an assassination attempt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kennel Master's daughter needs some fattening up ... yuck!

Jon won't go with the wildlings as he will soon learn Sansa is at Winterfell about to marry Ramsey, I wonder will Sam and Maestar Aemon go on their journey or will that be cut too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They can't cut the Drogon scene though, the locust poisoning arc will be cut as there is no Strong Belwis, Varys or Ser Jorah may take Ser Barristans place down the line but it is a character cut that screws this up in my eyes.

If they have cut the two Griffs arc completely then she may end up in Westeros sooner rather than later but I hope it's on the back of Drogon, that bloody love story crap is stupid too.

I thought she might go over with the rhaegar & vyseries (sorry about spelling, the two duffer dragons) and then drogon will come back to save the day at the last minute with a reincarnated Jon or however thats going to play out.

Was that drogon over the ruins of valyeria? it would make sense as there are ostensibly no other dragons but the dragon was blueish and orange. If not then there are loads more dragons out there. If so i wonder is it a hint that hes going to sit around in the ruins brooding e.g. showing higher intelligence.

The differences between the books and tv series are very interesting. i havent thought it through properly (still reeling from the way barristan is actually dead), but i wonder will drogon just do what he wants in the books until the final battle? Maybe Dany isnt the main targ

Advertisement