Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone ever studied abroad as an Undergraduate & Mature Student?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Is it any different applying to a College abroad if you are a Mature student and has anyone here ever done it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You may get a better response here. - Larianne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Do you have somewhere specific in mind OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

I was thinking of heading off on a 12 month RTW, was just thinking if I found something on the way that I would really want to do, is it even realistic unless you are absolutely loaded? Really, I'd love to hear any stories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

actually id be pretty interested in knowing myself.

im applying all over the country here for college starting next september. im looking at doing architecture. i am sure i will get offers as im pretty:D and im pretty on top of things. but with all the crap going on right now with the possibility of incoming college fees and the talk of hitting the back to education allowance with the BUDGET. im looking at studying abroad and i wanna know if its viable. im a mature(on paper) student. just wondering if anyone has studied in europe or the uk and if anyone has info on funding or cost of living or what its like?????

i do want to stay here in ireland but i know that in the uk you can defer college payments(not sure if you must be from the uk) until you graduate and are making a certain amount. if i could do that it could be easier to move their.

just things im wondering about but any ifo would really help.
    are there grants for studying outside ireland?
    is there financial help by other countries for EU students?
    is there a european union type grant?
    is it expensive to study in europe?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Paulegend wrote: »
    just things im wondering about but any ifo would really help.
    are there grants for studying outside ireland?
    is there financial help by other countries for EU students?
    is there a european union type grant?
    is it expensive to study in europe?

Dunno about the grants but studying in Europe seems to be a lot cheaper than over here. A lot of places have courses in English and fees are cheap enough (Belgium is €560 a year compared to the Irish €1500 registration fee) Cost of living tends to be a lot cheaper too.

Is there any country you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Hi, I studied in Madrid and Rome, 100% the best decision I ever made in my Life, totally loved the experience.

You can look for a traveling scholarship.

well basically im looking to do architecture as a mature unemployed. if i stay here ill get BTEA but no grant so id still need to save up the "administration fees"(such a joke). so while im doing up my portfolio and stuff at the mo im thinking of keeping outside ireland as an option and its sounding like a more viable one if im being honest. i hear turin is only a couple hundred quid each year aswell. my only concern be it italy spain belguim amsterdam paris england scotland would be the language(scotland and england could be the biggest prob as im not sure about their english:D sorry joking). i think if the course is in english and the fees and cost of living is reasonable then ill be def considering it. obviously the better colleges and bigger cities are more of an attraction. studying in sydney would be amazing but way too costly for trips home at the holidays:D.

basically im just looking for advice on how to find out info on these places such as......................
    fees
    cost of living
    course language
    what the place is like

sold wrote: »
    Hi, I studied in Madrid and Rome, 100% the best decision I ever made in my Life, totally loved the experience.

You can look for a traveling scholarship.

traveling scolarship?

In that case, I'd definetely reccomend the Netherlands or Belgium (Flanders)
    Cost of living is very low with a high amount of student subsidisation. Everyone speaks English too (I've gotten no chance to practice my Dutch here as everyone speaks better English than I do) Not only are courses in English but everyone speaks excellent English (my landlord, the guy in McDonalds, barmen etc) I even got a job as a barman before I spoke a word of Dutch; manager didn't care as everyone speaks English anyway.

Scandinavia is also very good in that regard but the cost of living is a lot higher.
    AFAIK, France gives a load of help and subsidies to EU students but the language could be a problem for you. Dunno about the course languages there either.

Belgium and the Netherlands also have the advantage of being very central, so you can get alot of travelling done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

In that case, I'd definetely reccomend the Netherlands or Belgium (Flanders)
    Cost of living is very low with a high amount of student subsidisation.

any chance u know off-hand the if the Netherlands have a CAO or UCAS system where you can do course searches?
    also, any ideas on transferring over there? im in second year, getting mature student grant, wouldnt mind a change of scene but not if i lose my grant!

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    any chance u know off-hand the if the Netherlands have a CAO or UCAS system where you can do course searches?
    also, any ideas on transferring over there? im in second year, getting mature student grant, wouldnt mind a change of scene but not if i lose my grant!

Can't tell you that I'm afriad man. University of Utrecht is well worth a look, has a great reputation (never been there but a few of my freinds went and loved it. Also has a fair few programs in English) and the tuition fees are around the same as Irish registration fees.

Amsterdam is the same.

Do you know what you want to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Can't tell you that I'm afriad man. University of Utrecht is well worth a look, has a great reputation (never been there but a few of my freinds went and loved it. Also has a fair few programs in English) and the tuition fees are around the same as Irish registration fees.

Amsterdam is the same.

Do you know what you want to study?

ahh no worries, ill get googlin it. im in 2nd year doing Building Surveying, so i would just transfer into a similar course if there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

bump old thread i know....but has anyone ever done? im curious to know the experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

Yea me and my girlfriend have just stumbled across this idea the alst few days (she is Brazilian, i'm Irish)

The savings alone for her make it attractive. Being irish i have some ok options here, but i guess some of the worry is how easy part time work is to find as a student with little to no German ( at the start anyways)

Not sure how good they are for teaching software development, but Germany in general has a good tech sector, so i can assume its good.

So far what is confusing me is all the courses i see says "masters" not sure if they label things differently!

What you thinking of studying/ what part of Germany you thinkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

I am currently studying as a mature student in Budapest. Honestly I ****ing hate it.

Advertisement