Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any tips for Physics?

• 06-06-2003 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Anyone have any idea wat is likely to be coming up in physics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

Light was nearly completly absent from last year, so we should be getting a section a question on light. Possibly the diffraction grating one at worst. (There's only about four!)

if you do partical physics option, I guess what didn't come up last year will this year(extreemly small section and 50% came up 2002)

Good luck, we need it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Know every single mandatory experiment and the particle physics option perfectly and you will pass, after that work on eveyrthing else.

Section A should be 120 marks for everyone!!!

In the mandatory there are 5 sections,
    Light
    Sound
    Heat
    Electricity
    Motion

Light didnt come up last year so you should probably know all 4/5 of those.

Then again theres only 28 or something and they are mostly the same, just do all the past paper questions on them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by PHB
    Know every single mandatory experiment and the particle physics option perfectly...and you will pass

This is not a very wise strategy!

Let me quote a piece from a Department of Education circular about the new physics course:
    ...At Higher level, the syllabus contains two options - Applied Electricity and Particle Physics. A question MAY (my emphasis) be included on the Higher level examination paper to assess these options...

So, when it comes to teaching the course, I have to decide on which option to teach. But at the end of the day, the decision to include a question on the options is itself optional for the Inspector setting the exam!!

Put very simply, there is NO guarantee of a question on the option sections on the paper.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by PHB
    ...Light didnt come up last year...
    Originally posted by slartibardfast
    ...Light was nearly completly absent from last year...

Higher Level Paper: Q7 and Q12(b)

Ordinary Level Paper: Q3 and Q7

You might want to check your papers again!!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

You might want to check your papers again!!

I think they were talking about Section A Delphi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shelliestar

Last year they asked latent heat of fusion of ice in section A and there was nothing about heat in section B so i think this year therell be a long question on heat, maybe like the one that was on one of the sample papers about the tempature change in a room with the pot of water or somethign like that. Also wavelength of monochromatic light as it was on all the mocks (i think) and maybe resistivy as that came up in two mock papers in section A.
    Other the that i ain't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

I was indeed speaking of section a.

Here(physics.gif, sorry html seems disabled, would have made an nice table:() is an analysis of section a based on Folens exam papers. It apears that mechanics and electricy are compusory while heat, light and sound are interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was indeed talking about section a.

Also both my grinds teacher and my school teacher asked the department and they were told that the option will come up for the first 3 years.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by slartibardfast
    I was indeed speaking of section a.

Here(physics.gif, sorry html seems disabled, would have made an nice table:() is an analysis of section a based on Folens exam papers. It apears that mechanics and electricy are compusory while heat, light and sound are interchangeable.

P.S. It's four kilobytes

HTML doesn't work here indeed. UBB code is used on forums more often than not.

attach an image with [IMG ][/IMG] .

(but with not space between the [IMG and ][/img]

Advertisement