Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Individual liberties, regulation and the obesity epidemic (and possibly other stuff)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I don't disagree with you entirely, but what about (for example) the smoking in the workplace ban? That is an instance of reducing certain personal freedoms - the freedom to smoke at work - in order to improve "the greater good", the health of the nation as a whole.

Tell me, which scurrilous lobby group twisted the government's arm to pass that particular piece of legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

As I stated, I don't think it does have a negative effect on society. You are the one who stated that it is banned because of it's negative effect on society so I have no idea why are trying to get me to defend that stance.

It is impossible to focus the law on protecting individual rights, as I pointed out in more detail in response to Jank you need to inhibit the rights of some to protect the rights of others, there is lots of overlap to the point that lots of things become very grey, very few rights are infallible.

It is true that legislation is often influenced by people who should have little to no say in the matter, I don't think anyone is arguing in favour of that.

I might be naive but I don't think that last line holds true for Ireland just yet, it does certainly seem to be the case in the US tho. We'll have to agree to disagree on that tho because neither of us can possibly know the real motivations of any individual legislators we can only speculate.

So why attempt to pass a law involving limiting the portion sizes of sugary drinks or a sugar tax? There is plenty of room for debate on weather it'll be effective or not, but trying to state the motivations behind it are self serving is a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

jank wrote: »
    How many homes are in an off shore trust?
    Dunno, but don't ask Russell Brand that question, it touches a nerve apparently...
    The same guy wants us all to "skip work" and march against water charges.

A good example of hypocrisy and hot air from the loony left, while the right laugh all the way to the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In practice, this means creationism on the curriculum in places like the southern USA. Yay flexibility!

Children deserve a proper education, even if they're unfortunate enough to grow up in a locality with large numbers of religious loons.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We certainly can do better - we waste a great deal of time and resources on a dead language for emotional reasons, the history syllabus is heavily influenced by ideology, and we need to get indoctrination out of the classroom - but at least we don't teach creationism as fact.

If we devolved the curriculum to the local level and there were localities in favour of religious extremism in the classroom, how would that be a positive development? In a modern western country it's very difficult for religion to have that sort of influence on an entire nation, but it's still possible in local areas.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement