Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Permanent TSB and AIB repossessed car sites

• 26-01-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

A fella I work with came in today with sketchy details of a site for repossessed cars in Carlow. After a bit of digging, all that I could find was this article.

It seems that TSB have a site in Carlow and AIB in Milltown. Have any of you any more information about these?

He was seemingly told that you go up to these places, check out the cars, find out how much finance or whatever is owed, and then make an offer. He's in the market for a replacement for a 97 Xsara which is pretty much on its last legs at this stage.

Thanks,
    NKay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Poor Banks, I feel sorry for them :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't know about the car lots that they may have but with regard to the article:
    GTF off the car ya dipstick!
    car_auctions2004979_display.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

AFAIK, the majority of finance houses go thru Merlin car auctions in Kildare. Along with some of the Guards stuff, and fleet companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AFAIK, the majority of finance houses go thru Merlin car auctions in Kildare. Along with some of the Guards stuff, and fleet companies.

There were loads of bank cars there on saturday but NOTHING sold at anything like a bargain. A 08 520d se sold for near €33,000. Add 5% buyers premium and its not cheap. There is one on carzone for that and you could probably have one from uk cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I like this quote:
    "They will then ask the person to hand back the car. Or, where people refuse, they assign third-party agents to go and get it."

A dirty job but I suppose someone has to do it.

I would expect the banks losing a lot of money especially on fully financed cars on 5 year loans. I would guess there is big gap between what the car worth & size of loan left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was at it last saturday - santa fe's and avensis's were pretty decent prices (santa fe's for nothing), in the repo section.

There were a fair few provisional sales though, wonder if the banks will take any sort of a loss with them.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pj mckenna deal with a few of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Saab Ed wrote: »

The "open to all" prices dont seem that good IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The "open to all" prices dont seem that good IMO.

Yeah I know. You have to be in the trade to see the real prices. You can always make an offer though because some of that stuff is there ages.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭stevek21

Windsor auctions on the Naas rd do these auctions regularly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Wilson's auctions also Naas Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

GE have one on the Long Mile Road or at least they used to I presume it's still there. They publish a list every Thursday morning and you have until end of the next working day to get a sealed bid in an envelope into them by post. If your bid is accepted they let you know - if the cars don't sell here they go to auction usually after a few weeks. There are some serious bargains to be had - I bought 2 cars from them a few years ago for an absolute song. Beware though the cars are sold as they are when they're brought in.
    It's tricky enough to get in touch with them mind you best contact Customer Services and tell them you want to contact Asset Disposals.
    At the end of the day all they want to do is get their money back if they repossess a car with only a year or two left on the finance that's all they care about so you can get very lucky with a low bid.

eamon234 wrote: »
    GE have one on the Long Mile Road

And who are "GE" exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

General Electric

http://www.ge.com/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Trading as "GE Money" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

GE is nothing but "General Electric" American company. GE capital is financial arm has branch in Ireland.

more info - > http://www.gecapital.ie/

Well I suspected, but I was looking for a website with Auction Times, Stock etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hair's Pam

Hey Guys i came accross this site today searching on google www.repoman.ie, im looking for a little runabout of a car so I rang them to see what the story was,i wasn't sure if it was a site that was closing down or just starting up so i rang them, Its only a new site with 4 or 5 cars at the min, but the guy i was talking too said they were in touch with the banks at the minute and were hoping to get more srock over the next few weeks. as far as i know most banks dont sell there repossessed cars to the public but this new company are trying to get the banks cars put them on there auction site so customers can bid,

Its €20 to register so you can bid and if you buy its a flat rate of €150 auction fee reguardless of price of car. I cant see any hidden fees, its just a pity they have small stock, is there anyone else out there doing anything like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

I tried to access the link on the previous post from Hairs Pam and my antivirus software immediately warned of a threat from the website.

Just for info!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Anyone ever use Autorola? I know alot of dealers check it out anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

just saw this thread tonight
    repossesed vehicles are sold in carlow at the old green acres site on the dublin road
    called in a few times some months ago
    no great value and a lot of unsaleable rubbish mixed up with some good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BigZack

Most finance houses and fleet management companies will sell via the trade or through auction. There are two reasons for this;

1. If a business sells a car directly to a consumer they are liable under the consumer protection act. This can mean a lot of headaches for the seller if the vehicle turns out to be problematic or not fit for the purpose it was intended for. Selling via the trade or through auction avoids this.

2. With finance houses, the difference between the vehicles sale price and the amount outstanding on finance can be registered as a judgment against the defaulter. To do this, the bank must show that it did everything possible to achieve the highest possible sale price for the car at the time it was sold. Public auction ticks the box for them here.

For these reasons it can be difficult to buy direct. However, if you know someone who works in one of the banks or a company car driver who's car is about to come off lease, there's a chance that you could buy one through them. Be warned though - decent 06,7&8 cars are in short supply now and the values are starting to strengthen. Those bargains that we heard all about earlier in the year are becoming difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭nhg

Where's best to go to when looking for a commercial vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Another thread back from the dead, seems to be happening alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

nhg wrote: »
    Where's best to go to when looking for a commercial vehicle

nhg, feel free to start a new thread if you wish.

Old thread so closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement