Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggested tools to go in my zombie murder bag

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

.22 nah, .308 at a min you could maybe do something subsonic.

Blackpowder is easy, nitrocellulose isalso fairly straightforward if you can lay yer paws on some equipment, fulminates are where my limited experience stops. Fortunatley should the zompocalypse occur i have a plan for that too. Meet me in the engineering building at WIT

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    .22 nah, .308 at a min you could maybe do something subsonic.

Blackpowder is easy, nitrocellulose isalso fairly straightforward if you can lay yer paws on some equipment, fulminates are where my limited experience stops. Fortunatley should the zompocalypse occur i have a plan for that too. Meet me in the engineering building at WIT

I studied in the engineering building. I have no idea what you hope to scrounge from there? We could all hug each other in the prayer room I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Slash hook - ( was thinking machette but the long handle sells it ) . One part staff -one part tool and one part weapon - now to not trip over the blade and slice my leg open ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Bring a couple of dwarfs.
    Invaluable, and you don't even have to carry 'em.
    You can throw one to the baying mob if you get surrounded.
    And, they don't eat much.

fizzypish wrote: »
    I studied in the engineering building. I have no idea what you hope to scrounge from there? We could all hug each other in the prayer room I suppose....

You're thinking of the C corridor, although I suppose we could use Beng-ie as a distraction. I meant the AT Building, there are some rather usefull machines over there.

• Advertisement

Bring a couple of dwarfs.
    Invaluable, and you don't even have to carry 'em.
    You can throw one to the baying mob if you get surrounded.
    And, they don't eat much.

I've a Vision of the 2 dwarfs tripping you and legging it :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

You're thinking of the C corridor, although I suppose we could use Beng-ie as a distraction. I meant the AT Building, there are some rather usefull machines over there.

Hmmmm AT building might work. We could hold those stair wells pretty good. The stairs in the C corridor are narrow too.
    Hide in the college for 2-3 weeks. Frantically raid the barracks at first opportunity for ordnance. We commandeer a sea going vessel (We should save someone that knows something about sailing/nautical ****) and get to the the Aran islands. There is never going to be more than 1000 people on the Island. If there's 10 of us, armed with a decent amount of ammo. We'll be grand. AND once **** calms down, I think there's only 1 point to dock on the island so we can let on only who we want.

Heres a fascinating youtuber.

This guy builds stuff with primitive stone tools.
    https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/

Briliant instructional videos, just think what you could do with a few people and modern steel tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That's deadly.
    I want him on my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Heres a fascinating youtuber.

This guy builds stuff with primitive stone tools.
    https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/

Briliant instructional videos, just think what you could do with a few people and modern steel tools.
    That's cool, but I don't think these mud huts would work in Ireland. First off I don't think we have the clay for it. Our ground is made of muck, black muck, great for feeding grass but I don't think it would dry out as well, I haven't tried though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Over in the UK I see road works and they've got very consistent almost red clay, they've been using it for millennia to make their red bricks.

The other problem of course is as soon as it rains the hut would melt.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's cool, but I don't think these mud huts would work in Ireland. First off I don't think we have the clay for it. Our ground is made of muck, black muck, great for feeding grass but I don't think it would dry out as well, I haven't tried though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Over in the UK I see road works and they've got very consistent almost red clay, they've been using it for millennia to make their red bricks.

The other problem of course is as soon as it rains the hut would melt.

There are 250 year old mud thatch cottages still being lived in in ireland .
    My own house is mud and stone and over 200 years old ( mainly stone to be fair) .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Big difference between back garden muck and clay.Clay can be found all over the place. There are loads of these houses all over Ireland and it's a great, practically free, building material.

Markcheese wrote: »
    There are 250 year old mud thatch cottages still being lived in in ireland .
    My own house is mud and stone and over 200 years old ( mainly stone to be fair) .
    I wouldn't think it was just mud either.

I don't know, I've never seen anywhere in Ireland that has clay like they have in the UK. Maybe it's just hard to see clay in its dry form here in Ireland, or most of the good stuff is in the east. The muck around here is sort of fluffy, black and variable consistency. It doesn't have that pasty consistency the clay in that video has.

Thats soil, dig a bit deeper and you will find clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

IIRC round houses used to be wattle and daub. now muck/clay or no, a few sticks and you'd be sorted. either way its some basic construction skills that would come in handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKkHqlx9dE - the primitive tech guy, been watching these for a while now.

can't seem to find a useful map of clay types in ireland.

To add to the original topic, a large knife / bowie / machete would be useful.
    a survival tin, would be essential and wouldnt take up much room. maybe swap the bic for a resuable and carry some lighter fluid.

Some suggestions from a site i occasionally visit. They also have this on survival knives. Ultimately I'd like this though.

Thats soil, dig a bit deeper and you will find clay.
    Right, where's me shovel?

Sorry,here []
    |D), I was just sharpening an edge on it for you ;)

Anyone seen my axe?

Nevermind, i found it
    ||<]
    ||
    ||
    ||

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

wrist/leg gaiters
    mask with eyes/mouth protection
    machete
    spear