Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Ro-76 wrote: »
    I have plex set up on mine and it works pretty well with the server on my laptop and the media files on a NAS.

Regarding the DNS issue. I cant see a way to specify DNS on the device itself, but I did change the DNS on my UPS cisco router and now I can access iplayer. I use overplay.net smart DNS.

You found a way to change the DNS on the UPC Cisco Router? Could you share that?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

You found a way to change the DNS on the UPC Cisco Router? Could you share that?

It's on the same screen as the DHCP setup. The DNS boxes are blank, so I just entered the overplay DNS servers, rebooted and it was working fine then.

Ro-76 wrote: »
    It's on the same screen as the DHCP setup. The DNS boxes are blank, so I just entered the overplay DNS servers, rebooted and it was working fine then.

Lucky you because on my 3925 I can't change it.

Well after digging into it (thanks bing) I found that I actually can change it in "LAN Setup" under LAN 1 Static DNS 1 without a problem and now it works fine.

Thanks Ro-76 for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are there TV series on NowTV or just movies?

Just movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Guffy

Never played with one of these boxes before. I see you can get sky movies but can you get sky sports? Think there was a mention of it in an earlier post.

Also for an utter noob to this could someone go through an installation for dummies explanation to get the most out of it if I ordered it today. Is this something similar to the dream box a few years ago?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Never played with one of these boxes before. I see you can get sky movies but can you get sky sports? Think there was a mention of it in an earlier post.

Also for an utter noob to this could someone go through an installation for dummies explanation to get the most out of it if I ordered it today. Is this something similar to the dream box a few years ago?

You can get Sky Sports but it's £10 a day.

Get 6 month of Sky now for £15 here. The offer ends tomorrow so make sure you buy it before your box comes!

Watch this video for the process to install Plex, an app that lets you stream local files on your computer to the box.

There are other apps you can install straight from the box (Vimeo, TED talks etc).

Also it might be possible to install Netflix and Sky Go but I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: I got the Youtube channel working on Plex so I'd assume all of the Plex channels (Netflix etc.) work, but I don't have a Netflix subscription to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

got mine today, very impressed.
    Plex working, spotify working, just trying the netflix plugin and sky go now.
    The sky movies are quite good on it.
    Absolute bargain for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Mine is my parcelmotel but I'll collect tomorrow.
    Will try out plex with the various add-ons and report back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

sham69 wrote: »
    got mine today, very impressed.
    Plex working, spotify working, just trying the netflix plugin and sky go now.
    The sky movies are quite good on it.
    Absolute bargain for the money.

Let us know how if you get sky go working on this that would pretty much seal the deal for me.

• Advertisement

will do.
    Struggling to get add ons done in plex.
    Not giving up though.

Right,
    Got Netflix and skygo plugin installed for plex, both work but are flaky enough.
    GUI on Netflix is very basic and wouldn't replace the one on Apple TV.

Box is great and I reckon more plugins and apps will come in the next weeks.
    Anyone needs any help or have any questions giz a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JohnnyRoyal

Just got mail stating its been delivered from nowtv. Used parcel motel address (first timer) do i need to put some money in parcel motel account now though or what? Also got the 6month sub deal and via uk iTunes address got the iPad app to test and v impressed with service (watched enter the dragon - classic! :-)
    Looking forward to getting box now and plexing the sh&t out of it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Mine is my parcelmotel but I'll collect tomorrow.
    Will try out plex with the various add-ons and report back

Well just picked it up and for approx 12e this is a great little device even for just the iplayer (with uk vpn/dns)
    I signed up for the 6month 15stg movie offer (2.5stg a month then cancel) and it is nifty enough, menus are quick to navigate no lag.

The parcel has everything, the box, hdmi lead remote and even two batteries.
    Can't wait to have a proper play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Is there any way to get Channel 4oD onto this without the need for any extra servers in the house running software?

The 4oD Plex plugin currently isn't working on any Roku as they changed the login method on the 4od site or something, I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

The 4oD Plex plugin currently isn't working on any Roku as they changed the login method on the 4od site or something, I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

Thanks, would that have needed a computer on the network running some other software anyway? Or would that plugin talk directly to 4oD if it was working?

Well, just did the dev thing to the box and all went okay but plex (IMO) is bloody horrible.
    Nothing worked - netflix/itv/youtube/reddit
    I am using unotelly's dns on my router but I don't think plex likes it or unotelly doesn't like it.
    I'd never dream of using plex to stream my local files, it took an age to 'retrieve' and then ffwding etc was useless.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the plex experience on this nowtv box via the homeserver I chose wasn't great for me at this time. (I'll try again by installing on another server.)
    EDIT: My error, used a lowpowered server not able for transcoding - plex is fine on capable hardware

12e for a portable Iplayer is excellent though plus anyone that can't get sky and wants their movies or sports it's very good though very expensive at full price per month and day.

BBC iplayer - very good, loads fast and menus have no lag though there is some menu text garbling
    BBC News app - very good, feature rich
    Sky News app - surprisingly a bit duff
    Spotify - I'm a free subscriber at present so couldn't use it
    Demand5 - think my DNS service is temperamanetal with it, it works on the Demand5 app on my bluray and is hit and miss through a browser, loads the menus but fails to play any content on nowtv
    Sky Movies - The layout of the movies is excellent (genres/collections etc) and playback is smooth.

Have you tried using Plex's plugins without changing DNS on your router? Youtube etc. run perfectly smoothly for me and I'm just using 3g. Streaming local files is very quick for me too.

• Advertisement

Have you tried using Plex's plugins without changing DNS on your router? Youtube etc. run perfectly smoothly for me and I'm just using 3g. Streaming local files is very quick for me too.

It could be the server I installed plex media server on - it streams video no problem + is a download/backup/file server but has no dedicated gfx card just the onboard graphics chip.
    I'll try it on my tv server and post back.

Yup, rushing to try plex out and installed on a low powered server not able at all for transcoding! stuck it on my tv server which has a bit more grunt and runs fine
    I've corrected my post above;)
    Plex is nice :) and to have it running on such a low priced box like nowtv is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

You can get Sky Sports but it's £10 a day.

Get 6 month of Sky now for £15 here. The offer ends tomorrow so make sure you buy it before your box comes!

Watch this video for the process to install Plex, an app that lets you stream local files on your computer to the box.

There are other apps you can install straight from the box (Vimeo, TED talks etc).

Also it might be possible to install Netflix and Sky Go but I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: I got the Youtube channel working on Plex so I'd assume all of the Plex channels (Netflix etc.) work, but I don't have a Netflix subscription to check.

Any chance of posting the links here for the Netflix & Skygo plugin?

I tried signing up and posting on 10 threads (actually posting about the issues at hand in the threads) and got banned for posting on 9 threads in the space of 2 or 3 hours saying I was trying to boost my boost count. It wasn't as if I was posting 2 or 3 word answers. They were all a few paragraphs in lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Still waiting for my box to be delivered but signed up for the 6 months using the link posted on this thread. I am looking forward to playing with my new toy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

Hi guys,

I currently have the UPC Cisco router (yes the one with rubbish wifi signal), just wondering will everything work on this if I get it or has anyone had any difficulties with buffering speeds or even losing signal, cheers. I know its only €11.89 but want to see if there have been any difficulties to date

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

thegift06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I currently have the UPC Cisco router (yes the one with rubbish wifi signal), just wondering will everything work on this if I get it or has anyone had any difficulties with buffering speeds or even losing signal, cheers. I know its only €11.89 but want to see if there have been any difficulties to date

I have a Cisco EP3925 router and on the 30MB plan. The router is upstairs in a room of a three storey house. The Now TV box is on the ground floor in the sitting room where the signal is usually hit and miss. The box hasn't had any issues connecting.

I'm quite surprised tbh. I thought I'd never get even a weak signal. But it's showing as fair, holding a constant connection and playback is smooth and perfect. No pausing or buffering at all. Really happy with the wifi range it's picking up.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I have a Cisco EP3925 router and on the 30MB plan. The router is upstairs in a room of a three storey house. The Now TV box is on the ground floor in the sitting room where the signal is usually hit and miss. The box hasn't had any issues connecting.

I'm quite surprised tbh. I thought I'd never get even a weak signal. But it's showing as fair, holding a constant connection and playback is smooth and perfect. No pausing or buffering at all. Really happy with the wifi range it's picking up.

I have the Cisco Router but 150MB plan and my router is in the office upstairs far away from the sitting room where the box is. I have good coverage of WiFi (especially when I change to 5 GHz but even on 2.4 GHz).

Also I changed the router DNS to unotelly to get iplayer working on the box.

Now the box unfortunately only does the 2.4 MHz not the 5 MHz which is a shame because my AppleTV runs on the 5 to get better bandwidth but I found that beside occasional buffering at heavy fast forward the box get's a good streaming result in NowTV, iplayer and USTVNOW. The only thing I can't get working is 5 on Demand which is down to unotelly I assume.

I have not tried Plex because I use my AppleTV for streaming.

looder wrote: »
    Any chance of posting the links here for the Netflix & Skygo plugin?

I tried signing up and posting on 10 threads (actually posting about the issues at hand in the threads) and got banned for posting on 9 threads in the space of 2 or 3 hours saying I was trying to boost my boost count. It wasn't as if I was posting 2 or 3 word answers. They were all a few paragraphs in lenght.

Sorry I don't have them!

On a side note, the navi-x plugin also works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Can xbmc be put on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's the million dollar (€11.89) question - most of us are hoping the box eventually gets hacked to put xbmc on it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement