Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LG 42LV550T - Netflix & Saorview?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello All,

I'm looking at buying the above TV. I've spoken to some sellers & they say the TV will receive saorview directly and can stream netflix.

Can anybody confirm?

Thanks,

Leo

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

Not 100% sure about the saorview... I was told it dod, but we def have netflix on ours, and lods of other cool apps

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Chimo29

elhal wrote: »
    Not 100% sure about the saorview... I was told it dod, but we def have netflix on ours, and lods of other cool apps

HI, I bought an LG 42LW650T tv which is a bit higher spec tv. It doesnt have netflix. I rang LG abotu it and they informaed me that no LG TV has netflix yet in Ireland or the UK.
    Are you sure your tv has it? any chance you could send a screen shot of the tv showing it. I'd like to send it to LG if your willing?
    If not, could you just check again and confirm it actually does have it.

And to anyone else who has LG smart tv's in Ireland, does anyone else have Netflix on their TV's? or heard of when it may be launched?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

I was sure it has.... but Im away for a few weeks... will double check when i get home and check out the model

ok thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Well,

I took the plunge & splashed out on a LG 42LV550T (Euro 750 from Harvey Norman). It's got the latest software as of Feb '12 (5.01.10) & no Netflix.

However, I went to www.lgappstv.com> selected US > Premium content > available premium content & there it was, a Netflix app!

I've got my Smart TV set to Ireland. I've also tried the UK but no Netflix (although BBC iplayer & Lovefilm show up but can't be used). Can't see how to select the US.

So is it up to Netflix to put it up on the Irish TV's or LG?

Leo

• Advertisement

leo738 wrote: »
    Well,

I took the plunge & splashed out on a LG 42LV550T (Euro 750 from Harvey Norman). It's got the latest software as of Feb '12 (5.01.10) & no Netflix.

However, I went to www.lgappstv.com> selected US > Premium content > available premium content & there it was, a Netflix app!

I've got my Smart TV set to Ireland. I've also tried the UK but no Netflix (although BBC iplayer & Lovefilm show up but can't be used). Can't see how to select the US.

So is it up to Netflix to put it up on the Irish TV's or LG?

Leo

Hey, well I had the same problem with my LG tv. So i rang LG and asked. they said its up to netflix as to when they'll release an ap for UK and Ireland tv's.
    So i rang netfix and they were very surprised that LG said that and said that they would like netflix on everythingfor obvious reasons and it was up to LG. So i rang back LG and they assured me it was up to netflix again. All very frustrating. How do you figure out who its down to to sort out?
    Netflix told me its also in LGs interest to be able to support it too for the sake of selling their tvs so based on that they reckon its just a matter of time before it'll become available. But I have to say the blaming of each other is very annoying and were still left wondering where we stand. I would have though both sides would be scrambling to get netflix on to a smart tv of all products considering what netflix is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Just to let anyone know who is thinking of buying LG 42LV550T that the TV does Not support DTS Audio ....only in India as LG stupidly only bought DTS rights for that country ..

There a thread on the Plex forums regarding the DTS issues .

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/30034-the-lg-smart-tv-dts-tragedy-thread/

.....Some might Not have a problem with this however if you are tring to stream via the PLEX app or Nero Mediahome there are issues.

First off the Plex client cannot transcode dts properly to the LG Tv.
    If you use the supplied Nero Media Home software, it will stream it perfectly however because the TV doesn't support DTS you get no Audio...
    (obviously there are ways around it but I didn't buy the TV to have to either re-convert the file or buy a box to do it for me )

Apart from that "Big issue for me" the Tv works and displays fine for me:rolleyes:

have been waiting for firmware updates for LG for months now & also for Plex to see if they can fix there stuttering issues trying to play DTS files.

Just thought I'd give people a heads up ...

any signs of netflix yet though? :-(

nah , I was in the same boat and had already signed up for my free month (stupidly ).. without checking for an app on the LG Tv.....

I'm sure it will be along soon ....just like the DTS support :)

yeah hopefully. There was an update on the tv the other day but no netflix with it.
    I dont get why it can be available in the US which means there is an existing app that works on LG tv's but yet its not here. I rang LG, they said it was down to Netflix and I rang Netflix and they said it was down to LG.
    If it exists as an app in the states then whats so hard about putting it on here. surely LG want it on. It would make a great selling item for their tv's. As it stands only samsung have it on some of their higher end tv's. So surely if LG got in there, it would attract buyers to their brand. Common sense.

• Advertisement

Just noticed there was a New software release for the TV itself ...been waiting months for this....... has just downloaded 05.11.08 ......Tested a few of the movies I have in My "DTS Movies can't play folder" and started playing one without buffering for at least 20 mins then I tried another file and it buffered after 10 mins... ...defiantely an improvement but doesn't look like a complete fix..

Will be testing it the weekend to try pinpoint what type of files it having an issue with ..1080p etc ..

Why don't these tv's have flash like any tablet or phone would have. Why can't they run on android or similar. Its not as though there not physically big enough. The software in them seems so old. Kinda crap for modern up to date tv's don't you think?. With flash, netflix would work fine on the browser surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

The writer says that with the growing capabilities of smartphones and tablets, “what is broken is the entire television experience.”

Read Here
    Disruptions: TV Makers Ignore Apps at Their Own Peril

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

There is no flash on TVs as Adobe won't support it as they think the experience is too bad.

Do Lucky Goldstar have any Irish content on their Smart TVs like 3Player?

anyone heard anything of netflix coming yet to Irish LG smart?

UPDATE:

A couple of spare minutes so I called Netflix today. After some discussion (including mentioning that I'd emailed LG on the topic) the rep spoke to a 'tier 3' (?) support personnel & from what he told me this is the situation:
    • The basic LG TV firmware is different from the US & IRL/UK (to accommodate things such as saorview etc).
    • A Netflix app was available for the US firmware but was not incorportaed into the IRL/UK firmware (as the service probably wasn't available then)
    • Since then the Netflix app has moved on & this latest version has been included in some of the newer LG TV's but obviously not ours. It has however been included in some of the 2011 LG Blue-ray players.

So bottom line, where does this leave us the consumers? Not sure. But I think it'll take pressure on LG (& a bit on Netflix) to incorporate this app into the IRL/UK firmware. A couple of minutes spent by everybody could help this process along:

https://wws.lg.com/ie/support/contact/support-message.jsp

You'll have to call Netflix, no email address exists. Response is fairly nippy though:

1800 94 86 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

A new update this morning and the Netflix app is on it :),but still no Skype app.

Also its only the Irish content so if you use your PS3 etc to watch the American stuff then you will have to change the settings on your router.

You got me fairly excited but I can't see any Netflix app. I've checked & I have up to date software. Don't see it here either:

http://ie.lgappstv.com/appspc/support/support/retrieveNoticeList.lge

Do you have a LG 42LV550T or similar? I think some of the newer TV's might have got it.

Leo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

leo738 wrote: »
    You got me fairly excited but I can't see any Netflix app. I've checked & I have up to date software. Don't see it here either:

http://ie.lgappstv.com/appspc/support/support/retrieveNoticeList.lge

Do you have a LG 42L550T or similar? I think some of the newer TV's might have got it.

Leo

I have the 47LM670T running software version 04.01.27,i just updated it this morning and Netflix and another 2 apps appeared in the premium content.

Ok, most be a newer model. Don't have it on mine so far. Fingers crossed!

Leo

• Advertisement

Still waiting on Netflix app for LG 5500 T ....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bought ths LG 42LM620T recently.. and that had Netflix outta the box.

Wanna swap ?:) Can't see it happening for the 5500 as it can't handle flash at all as pointed out earlier..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was playing with a lg42ls570t and netflicks was already installed on that, and it worked fine. Just the Irish content though. Worked exceptionally well I thought.

I tried the RTE player on the onboard browser but it wouldn't install flash for that to work.

I heard of people changing the DNS servers to American Dns Servers and then being able to see amercian Netflick content.. will dig out the dns servers when i have a chance.. worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB wrote: »
    ...I tried the RTE player on the onboard browser but it wouldn't install flash for that to work.

Update - someone accepted an LG update (dunno what it was) and RTE player worked through the browser when I tried it later. However it wasn't smooth, with frequent pauses, wasn't really usuable for that reason. I don't think it was network traffic either as Netflix HD content worked fine.

Recent software update on the 42LV550T no still no netflix..

still waiting on LW650T
    thoguht this was a great tv when I bought it, felt ripped off. its the only issue I have as I bought it for that very reason, not thinking it would be an issue.
    Someone in LG should read these forums so they know how dissatisfied their customers are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I have an LG smart TV and I want to use the UK apps on it. To get these I set the TV to my country "UK" and enable premium content.
    When the TV restarts NoW TV, Demand 5 etc are in the apps section but after about 20 seconds the TV switches back to IRL.
    I am using overplay on my Vodafone router for BBC iplayer and ITV and Netflix.
    Does anyone know if its possible to set the TV to stay on UK settings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We've an LG TV and when set to the UK stays on that. I've not switched any DNS on my router/modem.

Advertisement