Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Citylink's bus stop/shelter?

Options
  • 06-03-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello,

I booked a trip to Cork from Limerick with Citylink. There website says the stop is at Upper Mallow Street, but I don't see any Citylink stop on that street. (I don't know Limerick very well)

Are they using Bus Éireann's stop maybe or did I miss something?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

limboy wrote: »
    Hello,

I booked a trip to Cork from Limerick with Citylink. There website says the stop is at Upper Mallow Street, but I don't see any Citylink stop on that street. (I don't know Limerick very well)

Thanks!

They stop opposite the entrance to the Park on Upr Mallow St.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Hello,

Thanks!

The stop is in Mallow St. It's accross the street from the park railings about a 150 yards from the Train station end. I think it's a Bus Eireann bus stop. I missed the Cork bus before Christmas as I was standing at the Station end right by the railings. Hope that helps. Citylink is a great user friendly bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 limboy

You mean the entrance one can see from the train station? Thanks

I wonder how much a Citylink sticker on the Bus Éireann pole would cost; to make things just a little easier...

You mean the entrance one can see from the train station? Thanks

I wonder how much a Citylink sticker on the Bus Éireann pole would cost; to make things just a little easier...

No, the entrance is on the coner of Upr Mallow St and Pery Sq.

Have a look here

Isn't that the stop for people coming from Cork. I need to go to Cork. I found this stop at the other entrance (train station).

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that. On another forum I read someone was waiting opposite of the FAS building, so exactly where you waited before Christmas.

So after I get on the bus, we actually drive towards the station, although Cork is in the opposite direction, towards the Shannon Bridge? Seems weird.

Isn't that the stop for people coming from Cork. I need to go to Cork. I found this stop at the other entrance (train station).

Apologies, I should have read the post properly, I thought is the Cork to Limerick bus you were meeting.

phog wrote: »
    Apologies, I should have read the post properly, I thought is the Cork to Limerick bus you were meeting.

No apologies needed, you were right in your first post and Feardorca too. Just went to the stop to see which way the 12.00 bus to Cork would go. It stops, as you said, opposite the main entrance to the park. The other stop, which can be seen from the train station, is for Galway.

I wonder how many non-Limerick people have missed their bus just because Citylink is too lazy to provide information at the stop (or Bus Éireann doesn't let them)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Feardorca wrote: »
    Hope that helps. Citylink is a great user friendly bus service.
    User friendly???:confused:.Not when you have to guess where the bus stop is.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Feardorca wrote: »
    Citylink is a great user friendly bus service.

I doubt the guy who queued for the Galway bus instead of the Cork bus and showed his ticket to the driver who didn't pay much attention to the ticket and had to get off 5 minutes on the Galway side of Limerick is impressed!

I felt sorry for the guy.

I do like City Link though, I usually have no problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Has the new bus station been built yet? And if not, will City Link have bays in it?

Bizarre situation that City Link don't have proper stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Butlerowski

The transport laws in this country are archaic, some are older than the state itself. Citylink abandoned Ennis because they could not get authorisation to stop at a reasonable location for the route to run smoothly. All the government authorities, departments and companies are in effect one big nasty machine when it comes to competition. If a private bus company want to change their route or bus stop by a few hundred metres it is a lengthy process in some instances going on for years. Citylink(or anyone else) may not be authorised to label a bus stop or have their own. In Limerick Citylink can not have a sheltered bus stop because somebody in Bus Éireann knows a Garda who knows somebody else with the power to refuse them permission. This is the same problem as the political system and the country as a whole and an example of our biggest obstacles to progress. We need a serious shake up of the transport industry in Ireland, all operators should be able to pick up & drop off at Public Bus Stations. Licences should be much easier to obtain and we need the minibus to be more prevalent on quieter routes so that there can be frequent and efficient reliable sevices.

The transport laws in this country are archaic, some are older than the state itself. Citylink abandoned Ennis because they could not get authorisation to stop at a reasonable location for the route to run smoothly. All the government authorities, departments and companies are in effect one big nasty machine when it comes to competition. If a private bus company want to change their route or bus stop by a few hundred metres it is a lengthy process in some instances going on for years. Citylink(or anyone else) may not be authorised to label a bus stop or have their own. In Limerick Citylink can not have a sheltered bus stop because somebody in Bus Éireann knows a Garda who knows somebody else with the power to refuse them permission. This is the same problem as the political system and the country as a whole and an example of our biggest obstacles to progress. We need a serious shake up of the transport industry in Ireland, all operators should be able to pick up & drop off at Public Bus Stations. Licences should be much easier to obtain and we need the minibus to be more prevalent on quieter routes so that there can be frequent and efficient reliable sevices.

I have no idea how true this is but if it is how difficult is it for Citylink to use googlemaps to mark their bus stops.

I have no idea how true this is but if it is how difficult is it for Citylink to use googlemaps to mark their bus stops.

Totally agree with that. Anyway, I took the bus to Cork, leaving from opposite the main entrance to the park (Perry Square).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has the new bus station been built yet? And if not, will City Link have bays in it?

Bizarre situation that City Link don't have proper stops.

I dont think it will be built for many a year - open to correction though

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The reason many people use City Link is for the fact it doesn't stop in Ennis. That probably worked out better for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A lot of people use kavanaghs as well - they operate a good service

That is very true, or even a photograph on the website aswell.

Mc Love wrote: »
    A lot of people use kavanaghs as well - they operate a good service

Depends where you are going though. They'd be welcome more places.

Advertisement