Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cargiant.co.uk

Options
  • 08-01-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I've just seen a car on cargiant.co.uk that I like a lot but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what the story is with the prices on cargiant and discounts? e.g if a car on the site has a price of £25,000 what discount could I hope to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I believe that's a set price that can't be haggled down. Cargiant's different to a street trader unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I've just seen a car on cargiant.co.uk that I like a lot but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what the story is with the prices on cargiant and discounts? e.g if a car on the site has a price of £25,000 what discount could I hope to get?

I would wait until july when the new VRT rules are applied, you will save some money. Just out of interest what car are you looking at for £25,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Not only is there no discount, but there's also a 70 or 80 pound (can't remember) additional charge admin. fee

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I would wait until july when the new VRT rules are applied, you will save some money. Just out of interest what car are you looking at for £25,000?

X5 3.0D Sport. VRT will be 36% post 1st July hence why I'm anxious to buy soon....Has anybody had any negative experience dealing with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Visted Car Giant in March last year to have a look at what they had. As another poster said they charge £79 admin fee for dealing in cash. I found that you can get a better deal in independent garages in the UK, as for certain sought after cars they tend to be more expensive than most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It also takes two hours for them to do a check of the car once you've paid. I bought my car from a guy who got it there, and he got pulled by the cops outside the door for no tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I bought an MPV there 2 w/e's ago. Had previously been there before x-mas with my brother in law who introduced me to the place. I have to say that the whole process is fairly streamlined and once you know in advance what to expect - documentation etc. you should be fine.
    • Just to clarify there is an admin. fee of £91 on all purchases regardless of price.
    • You will not be able to haggle on price - the price is set.
    • If you tell them you are coming from Ireland they will have your car ready in advance to view etc. - they did in my case!
    • It is worth remembering that they also have stock seperate to website listing so it is worth ringing also about these, just in case they have another car of a
      similiar type etc.
    What I must also say is that it is often hard to judge interior etc. from website so my recommendation is to have 1 or 2 other cars lined up or be prepared possibly to travel home empty handed!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MarkR wrote: »
    It also takes two hours for them to do a check of the car once you've paid. I bought my car from a guy who got it there, and he got pulled by the cops outside the door for no tax!

AFAIK garages in the UK are not supposed to let a car out onto the road without tax and its their responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

By rights they should put the car on export plates.

Advertisement