Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Just to add tax in the UK is feck all compared to here so you could always pay the buyer a little extra to tax for peace of mind on way to ferry.
    £30 I think on one of those if my memory serves me right. ?..can be obtained by seller at a PO before leaving

Presume a HPI check would tell you if it had been an accident? Only if it was claimed on insurance i presume though
    You would be surprised how many cars will have suffered prangs and not recorded and getting worse. Guess recession is biting well there also.
    Another problem with cars that have not attained an mot age is the ability of a HPI check to determine the mileage, so a genuine service record book is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    You would be surprised how many cars will have suffered prangs and not recorded and getting worse. Guess recession is biting well there also.
    Another problem with cars that have not attained an mot age is the ability of a HPI check to determine the mileage, so a genuine service record book is a must

How can I tell if the service record book is genuine?

PS thank you so much everyone for your help - MUCH appreciated.

verywell wrote: »
    How can I tell if the service record book is genuine?

PS thank you so much everyone for your help - MUCH appreciated.
    You ask the service manager of the garage doing the service and they can also give a print out of all invoices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

An AA check would probably be a definite necessity on that one for him then. I found that even the threat of an AA check is enough to get people to be more honest about cars.

Had one lad shouting at me down the phone for not trusting him and that the service history should be enough. He had sent on pics of the service history (just stamps in book) from some random garage so stayed well clear after all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 topher1990

hi lads. im heading across the pond to buy a car for over 10k and i was initially planning on paying with my debit card(aib) but i called them and was advised the daily limit at a pos is 2500 so i am now thinking of just bringing the cash over with me as am not too keen on bank drafts and all that carry on. i couldnt find anything from the previous post suggesting whether this was safe to do or not.

so hoping someone here with a bit of knowledge can give us some advice on this?

many thanks for you anticipated replies

topher1990 wrote: »
    hi lads. im heading across the pond to buy a car for over 10k and i was initially planning on paying with my debit card(aib) but i called them and was advised the daily limit at a pos is 2500 so i am now thinking of just bringing the cash over with me as am not too keen on bank drafts and all that carry on. i couldnt find anything from the previous post suggesting whether this was safe to do or not.

I brought 8k over in cash. Felt like a drug dealer :-) You could always get the garage to pick you up at the airport if their close enough. You might need to check declaration laws also as you may need to declare it in the airport.

You could do a bank transfer before going if youve had the car checked etc. or check if they'd take a sterling draft. No experience with either myself but i'm sure others have.

Cash is in order. I have never had a problem. Put it in one of those folders, name escapes me, that you strap around your waist and dont display it until you are sure of who you are dealing with.
    Keep a few quid in your pocket. To combine with the other post do not bring a draft unless you plan on staying for eight days as it takes at least that amount of time to clear, and nobody. will give you a 10grand car until the draft clears.
    No need to declare that amount.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/declaring-cash.htm

For ease of collection etc what are the best / easiet places to get to and from?

Or in other words, what is the best postal code to use when searching?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cash is in order. I have never had a problem. Put it in one of those folders, name escapes me, that you strap around your waist and dont display it until you are sure of who you are dealing with.
    Keep a few quid in your pocket. To combine with the other post do not bring a draft unless you plan on staying for eight days as it takes at least that amount of time to clear, and nobody. will give you a 10grand car until the draft clears.
    No need to declare that amount.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/declaring-cash.htm

I brought a draft with me and wasnt waiting eight days - I'm starting to side with MidlandsM on you talking utter nonsense.

Purchase was all done in one day. And I bought a car North of Northampton and was very happy and never had any problems with it.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    I brought a draft with me and wasnt waiting eight days - I'm starting to side with MidlandsM on you talking utter nonsense.

Purchase was all done in one day. And I bought a car North of Northampton and was very happy and never had any problems with it.

Are you saying that the draft cleared in less than eight days or are you saying that you found a trader who accepted a bank draft from you, a complete stranger, and your vehicle was not just a throw away banger or anything like that, in other words the draft was for a considerable sum of money.
    Or did you purchase from a private person who was not aware of the dangers of accepting a bank draft from a stranger.
    Elaborate please.
    BTW when did you carry out that transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

year was 2010 - Dealer - Car was 2008 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec and the amount was substantial. Dealer called the bank and they confirmed it was legit. In and out - happy days!

appreciate the feedback lads.. think i'll settle with a bank transfer and pay the difference in cash hoping for a discount.

just another query, the dealer has sent me copies of the v5c forms and the service history which all look above board. is there anything else i should check or ask for?

and also ive done a look up on the dvla site and it shows that the car reg was changed at the end of last year. am i right in having alarm bells going off here

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Run a full UK HPI or car history check on it, including mileage check, accident history and outstanding finance.

appreciate the feedback lads.. think i'll settle with a bank transfer and pay the difference in cash hoping for a discount.

just another query, the dealer has sent me copies of the v5c forms and the service history which all look above board. is there anything else i should check or ask for?
    Have you done a HPI check? Worth getting an AA inspection done also. Their quite pricy but very thorough.

just done a look up on the dvla site and it shows that the car reg was changed at the end of last year and it failed mot on 2 occasion but passed it on second attempts(minor faults with tyre depths). am i right in having alarm bells going off here?

and i will book the AA inspection tomorrow so that should clear up any doubts. but i dont want to dish out anymore funds if it is a lemon.

and would a cartell be the same as a HPi check?

thanks again

Number plate change could indicate that it's previous owner owned a private plate.

Check with the AA if their check includes a HPI type check as part of their package.

just done a look up on the dvla site and it shows that the car reg was changed at the end of last year and it failed mot on 2 occasion but passed it on second attempts(minor faults with tyre depths). am i right in having alarm bells going off here?

and i will book the AA inspection tomorrow so that should clear up any doubts. but i dont want to dish out anymore funds if it is a lemon.

and would a cartell be the same as a HPi check?

thanks again

Was this the link you used to check that info? https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro

Just want to make sure that I am using correct one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Just about to go ahead with purchasing an Audi from the UK but have two quick questions for those of you with more of a knowledge on the VRT process:

1.)VRT on extras. I understand that these are not considered for cars over 4 years old as per revenue website, but I am slightly confused by their formula of how this 'age' is calculated. I am looking at 2 cars which are registered in march and sept 2010 respectively. Are one or both of these deemed clear from vrt on extras now?

2.) change of ownership: can I fill in the v5c cert with the dealer, sign it myself, and then put the car in my wife's name when I get it VRT'd back in Ireland? (car has to be in her name for insurance) This would save her having to travel.

Thanks

verywell wrote: »
    Was this the link you used to check that info? https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro

Just want to make sure that I am using correct one. Thanks

No i used the links below. you will need details from the v5c. but it does give an extensive breakdown of info. was rather surprised at how detailed it was for a free service

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/servlet/ECHIDDispatcher

• Advertisement

Just about to go ahead with purchasing an Audi from the UK but have two quick questions for those of you with more of a knowledge on the VRT process:

1.)VRT on extras. I understand that these are not considered for cars over 4 years old as per revenue website, but I am slightly confused by their formula of how this 'age' is calculated. I am looking at 2 cars which are registered in march and sept 2010 respectively. Are one or both of these deemed clear from vrt on extras now?

2.) change of ownership: can I fill in the v5c cert with the dealer, sign it myself, and then put the car in my wife's name when I get it VRT'd back in Ireland? (car has to be in her name for insurance) This would save her having to travel.

Thanks

It goes from the car's original first registration date. So if a car was registered on 1st March 2010 it is now deemed to be over 4 years old. A car registered on 1st September 2010 is still deemed 3 years old until it reaches 1st September.

To my knowledge the dealer will keep a section of the V5 form, fill out the vehicle export section and send it off to the UK DVLA. The remaining section of the V5 (V5c) will be given to you and you present this to the NCTS centre when it is being re-registered here in Ireland.

Thanks
    You don't need to fill out anything on the v5c from my experience. You just make sure to get the full document off them. Can be registered by your wife then here.

Big thread here on VRT and extras

Is it a reasonable request to ask the garage to email me the service history? Is this something that they can do?

I got the reg cert off them. I did a HPI check and apart from the 'Unit Stocking' finance on it it seem to be clear. He also emailed me confirmation that no finance will be on it when I take it.

Of course it is reasonable. They can always block out the previous owner's name and address if they like. You just want a copy of the service history to ascertain and verify what was done and at what mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

bazz26 wrote: »
    It goes from the car's original first registration date. So if a car was registered on 1st March 2010 it is now deemed to be over 4 years old. A car registered on 1st September 2010 is still deemed 3 years old until it reaches 1st September.

Thanks for that...thought that would be the case. The vehicle in question was registered on 30th March, so on this basis would I have to wait until this date for it to be 4 years old, or is it 4 years old on the 1st March? The revenue formula seems to look like (month registered in Ireland - month first registered in UK) which would be 0-0.....doesn't seem to distinguish by speficic day of the month but I don't want to get hammered if they do in practice?

No NI reg cars seem to come for me on the DVLA vehichle query. Anyone know why this would be?

Thanks for that...thought that would be the case. The vehicle in question was registered on 30th March, so on this basis would I have to wait until this date for it to be 4 years old, or is it 4 years old on the 1st March? The revenue formula seems to look like (month registered in Ireland - month first registered in UK) which would be 0-0.....doesn't seem to distinguish by speficic day of the month but I don't want to get hammered if they do in practice?

I think they only work off 2 years on options now but I have no source of proof so don't take it as gospel.

You don't need to fill out anything on the v5c from my experience. You just make sure to get the full document off them. Can be registered by your wife then here.

Big thread here on VRT and extras
    Nothing on the V5 to be filled out. You need a receipt with the date and showing the amount paid.
    In accordance with the instructions issued on the introduction of the red V5 the seller sends a letter to DVLA informing them that the car has been sold for export and hands the V5 to the buyer.
    I was going to give the link but they have changed their site and I cannot find the link to that.
    Perhaps it is on the right hand page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Just wondering how many cars you can import from UK before they start hassling you for income tax etc. Bought my wife a car, thinking about selling it and getting something different in UK again, then maybe getting a 3rd for myself later in the year. (Assuming all cars are registered for VRT)

• Advertisement

gutteruu wrote: »
    Just wondering how many cars you can import from UK before they start hassling you for income tax etc. Bought my wife a car, thinking about selling it and getting something different in UK again, then maybe getting a 3rd for myself later in the year. (Assuming all cars are registered for VRT)
    Well, if it is your own declared money you will not have a problem as you may do as you wish with it.
    Having said that the registered owner, when the car is first taxed, can be different from the person importing it.
    You can nominate another person to go through the VRT proceedure on your behalf, but in your name, or indeed anybody else can nominate you to do it for them.
    The process starts with the name placed on the invoice and ends with the name placed on the RF 100 if you do not usecthe online taxing facility

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement