Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

URGENT Should I leave college for the year?

• 25-10-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

It's a major rant but I'd really appreciate if even 1 person could take the time to read as I've gotten depression and anxiety over this mess.

I started off in Science Education in UL, I only lasted 3 weeks as I quickly became completely overwhelmed by the physics as I had never done physics before. I wasn't the only one, 64 people left in the first few weeks due to physics. They didn't start from a basic level and the worst part was the science learning center wasn't open until week 3, and by this time I felt that I was so far behind that my only option was to leave, so That's exactly what I did.

I moved to History, Politics, Sociology and Social Studies (also in ul) which I absolutely hated, I don't know what I was thinking I just wanted an escape from science teaching.
    Another option came to light which was Liberal Arts in Mary I, I saw that geography was a subject option and I thought that I'd be able to do either English or German with it to degree level. So I moved to Mary I. The problem is I absolutely have no intrest whatsoever in English, I hate reading, I HATE drama and analysing stuff, and I find German extremely hard so I don't see how I can keep either of the two up with geography for 4 years. I know if I persevered I could still be a teacher but I honestly think I'd hate every second of English for the next 4 years. Is it worth it?

I've been looking at options if I took a year out and one that struck me was reentering science education next year, only in UCC, I know that different colleges have very different ways of teaching the same course, I'd also try to get as much help with physics before I get back in as possible during the year out so I'd e a little more prepared as I'd only have to keep up physics for one year, all I need to do is pass.

Option two was to take the year out, (I did pass Irish) and repeat the Irish leaving cert exam at higher level and get back into Mary I next year to do primary teaching (I have a over the points requirement already just missing Irish), only I'm worried that even if I get the minimum C3, I'm not sure if my standard of Irish would be good enough as I've done pass since 2nd year. I also think that the only reason in drawn to this course is my girlfriend and others are doing if and they're so happy and loving college, I want to be like that.

The only things making me want to stay in Mary I are I really like geography and I would like to teach it, I love my appartment and the lads I'm living with, my girlfriend lives 2 mins away from me and the social life is unreal. Obviously I'm worried about what would happen with my girlfriend if I leave and go to cork cause we'd be in different cities, but as much as I like her i feel like I have to put myself first, if we're ment to work out we'd make the different cities work.

If even one person coul give me their openion on this whole mess I'd be so great full. NB If I don't get out soon I'll more than likely end up loosing the free fees for next year which would make college a near impossibility as both my parents are unemployed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Molojan wrote: »
    It's a major rant but I'd really appreciate if even 1 person could take the time to read as I've gotten depression and anxiety over this mess.

I started off in Science Education in UL, I only lasted 3 weeks as I quickly became completely overwhelmed by the physics as I had never done physics before. I owasn't the only one, 64 people left in the first few weeks due to physics. They didn't start from a basic level and the worst part was the science learning center wasn't open until week 3, and by this time I felt that I was so far behind that my only option was to leave, so That's exactly what I did.

I moved to History, Politics, Sociology and Social Studies (also in ul) which I absolutely hated, I don't know what I was thinking I just wanted an escape from science teaching.
    Another option came to light which was Liberal Arts in Mary I, I saw that geography was a subject option and I thought that I'd be able to do either English or German with it to degree level. So I moved to Mary I. The problem is I absolutely have no intrest whatsoever in English, I hate reading, I HATE drama and analysing stuff, and I find German extremely hard so I don't see how I can keep either of the two up with geography for 4 years. I know if I persevered I could still be a teacher but I honestly think I'd hate every second of English for the next 4 years. Is it worth it?

I've been looking at options if I took a year out and one that struck me was reentering science education next year, only in UCC, I know that different colleges have very different ways of teaching the same course, I'd also try to get as much help with physics before I get back in as possible during the year out so I'd e a little more prepared as I'd only have to keep up physics for one year, all I need to do is pass.

Option two was to take the year out, (I did pass Irish) and repeat the Irish leaving cert exam at higher level and get back into Mary I next year to do primary teaching (I have a over the points requirement already just missing Irish), only I'm worried that even if I get the minimum C3, I'm not sure if my standard of Irish would be good enough as I've done pass since 2nd year. I also think that the only reason in drawn to this course is my girlfriend and others are doing if and they're so happy and loving college, I want to be like that.

The only things making me want to stay in Mary I are I really like geography and I would like to teach it, I love my appartment and the lads I'm living with, my girlfriend lives 2 mins away from me and the social life is unreal. Obviously I'm worried about what would happen with my girlfriend if I leave and go to cork cause we'd be in different cities, but as much as I like her i feel like I have to put myself first, if we're ment to work out we'd make the different cities work.

If even one person coul give me their openion on this whole mess I'd be so great full. NB If I don't get out soon I'll more than likely end up loosing the free fees for next year which would make college a near impossibility as both my parents are unemployed.

can you talk to guidance counselor in UL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am inclined to agree with the previous poster, you need to talk to someone, rather than get random answers on the internet. At the moment the main thing that is coming over is that you don't like or feel you can't do most subjects other than geography, and while you are making the right noises about your relationship, you seem to be looking for an easy course with great social life. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, I think you are a bit overwhelmed by the whole 3rd level thing and are panicking.

You are the only one who can decide what you are prepared to put into 3rd level, you don't seem to be giving any of them very much time. You have already tried two courses in UL, one in Mary I, were doubtful about Galway because other members of your school were going there, and are now looking at UCC. You are going to have problems wherever you go, that is part of education, to stick with it and try and make a go of it. Maybe you are not ready for college, but how are you going to support yourself if you leave? What will you do for a year, will you be any more ready next year?

You have to make some decisions and you need to talk to someone, or just get stuck in and make the best of what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 l19861986

Hi,

firstly, ur not alone. im 27 and went back after 7 year break as i couldn't cope with the exact same as above. im back now and studying maths again. its reallly tough and i did feel lile saying **** it, and drop out. BUT ur only a couple of weeks in !!! give urself a bit of time. Science and Maths etc are not things ur meant to get at the offing. BUT, u should choose subjects based on ur PASSION!!! not whats easy. if it was easy they'd all be doing it!!!! talk to dept heads, ur lecturer, student services, career guidance whoever
    talk to a professional within college. lastly, if u still dont know what ur passion is, thats FINE!! Take a year out to experience life and to think about what u will still love doing when ur 50!! its great ur talking about it, i didnt all them years ago and i blew the problem out of all proportion. best of luck !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You've probably heard it a million times from your teachers in secondary, but "the answer is in the question" - in this case, your post above:
    I quickly became completely overwhelmed by the physics as I had never done physics before ...

I moved to History, Politics, Sociology and Social Studies (also in ul) which I absolutely hated ...

The problem is I absolutely have no intrest whatsoever in English, I hate reading, I HATE drama and analysing stuff, and I find German extremely hard ...

There is absolutely no point in doing anything at third level if you don't really love it. Sure, there might be one or two modules that you struggle with, but you should at least be able to see how they fit into the overall programme and accept that it's something you've got to learn to like.
    I also think that the only reason in drawn to this course is my girlfriend and others are doing if and they're so happy and loving college, I want to be like that.

You're only going to be 'like that' if you're doing something that you really want to do. Previously, you were looking at Environmental Science, and you've mentioned your interest in Geography - how come you've ended up on a course studying drama??? :confused:

It sounds to me like you're not getting any proper guidance from anyone - is that because you're not asking, or because you're just looking for the "great-time" third-level experience? Well, if you want that, you've got to start by figuring out what you already know.

Third level is not about teaching you the basics of something you know nothing about, so if your dream job is doing something that you've got to learn from scratch, then yes, drop out, go back to school and start again. If you don't know what you want to do, then drop out, live and work in the real world for as long as it takes and do your degree later in life.

If you really don't want to drop out, then go through every single course on the CAO handbook, read the description properly and find one that matches your interests perfectly. That's the one you should switch to, and it doesn't matter whether it's level 6, 7 or 8, in Trinity or IT-Ballygobackwards, or how far from your girlfriend you end up.

You've probably heard it a million times from your teachers in secondary, but "the answer is in the question" - in this case, your post above:

There is absolutely no point in doing anything at third level if you don't really love it. Sure, there might be one or two modules that you struggle with, but you should at least be able to see how they fit into the overall programme and accept that it's something you've got to learn to like.

You're only going to be 'like that' if you're doing something that you really want to do. Previously, you were looking at Environmental Science, and you've mentioned your interest in Geography - how come you've ended up on a course studying drama??? :confused:

It sounds to me like you're not getting any proper guidance from anyone - is that because you're not asking, or because you're just looking for the "great-time" third-level experience? Well, if you want that, you've got to start by figuring out what you already know.

Third level is not about teaching you the basics of something you know nothing about, so if your dream job is doing something that you've got to learn from scratch, then yes, drop out, go back to school and start again. If you don't know what you want to do, then drop out, live and work in the real world for as long as it takes and do your degree later in life.

If you really don't want to drop out, then go through every single course on the CAO handbook, read the description properly and find one that matches your interests perfectly. That's the one you should switch to, and it doesn't matter whether it's level 6, 7 or 8, in Trinity or IT-Ballygobackwards, or how far from your girlfriend you end up.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I'd agree with the others in that you need to talk to the career guidance counsellor in UL.
    You need to do something you're interested in.
    I'm in the UCC Science teaching course at the moment and I can tell you that there is a fair bit of Physics in first year too. They say they start at the start but they don't really. It builds pretty quickly. I did physics in LC so I was fine but there is a high drop out rate and a lot of people struggled with it.
    If you really love Geography would you not look into studying geography as part of Arts to become a teacher?
    I'm sorry but forget the Girlfriend for the moment. You need to concentrate on you and your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Molojan

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I'd agree with the others in that you need to talk to the career guidance counsellor in UL.
    You need to do something you're interested in.
    I'm in the UCC Science teaching course at the moment and I can tell you that there is a fair bit of Physics in first year too. They say they start at the start but they don't really. It builds pretty quickly. I did physics in LC so I was fine but there is a high drop out rate and a lot of people struggled with it.
    If you really love Geography would you not look into studying geography as part of Arts to become a teacher?
    I'm sorry but forget the Girlfriend for the moment. You need to concentrate on you and your future.

Hi Corkgirl, can I ask if the high drop out rate was mainly due to physics? This was the case in UL. I'm actually seriously considering the UCC science teaching course and I'd love some details about it off you, if that's ok I might PM you with a few questions.
    I was in Mary I for the past month doing liberal arts, but I found that the subject choices were pretty poor, I could only do geography with either English or German to degree level (both of which I hate). I think arts is way to theory based aswell, I'd really like even a slight practical side to a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Hi Corkgirl, can I ask if the high drop out rate was mainly due to physics? This was the case in UL. I'm actually seriously considering the UCC science teaching course and I'd love some details about it off you, if that's ok I might PM you with a few questions.
    I was in Mary I for the past month doing liberal arts, but I found that the subject choices were pretty poor, I could only do geography with either English or German to degree level (both of which I hate). I think arts is way to theory based aswell, I'd really like even a slight practical side to a course.

Pretty much was. It wasn't really what people were expecting either. The Biologists struggled with Chemistry too but it was Physics which caused the most hassle.
    PM me away with questions.

I started off in Science Education in UL, I only lasted 3 weeks as I quickly became completely overwhelmed by the physics as I had never done physics before. I wasn't the only one, 64 people left in the first few weeks due to physics. They didn't start from a basic level and the worst part was the science learning center wasn't open until week 3, and by this time I felt that I was so far behind that my only option was to leave, so That's exactly what I did.

have you arranged to meet guidance counselor yet ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I don't think you are cut out for third level to be honest.

It's also a depressing indicator of the lack of quality physics education in schools. Kids are being taught by teachers that do their best to avoid the subject because they don't understand it. The cycle continues when they themselves go to college.

• Advertisement

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I don't think you are cut out for third level to be honest.

It's also a depressing indicator of the lack of quality physics education in schools. Kids are being taught by teachers that do their best to avoid the subject because they don't understand it. The cycle continues when they themselves go to college.

That's what's terrifying me. I always did really well in school I just assumed that college wasn't going to be a problem.
    Whatever happens I have to do some course next year, not going to college just isn't an option.
    Just to clarify I never did physics for leaving cert.

figs666 wrote: »
    have you arranged to meet guidance counselor yet ?

I'll be meeting one next week. I decided to take the year out so now I have the time to find what my interests are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I know it sounds obvious but college isn't just a great social life, Gf and great pals.
    If the course your'e doing is not right, other things won't make up for it.

You need to sit with someone who knows what courses are out there and more importantly, you need to give serious thought to what you actually want and are capable of doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Sorry to bust your bubble but science is not easy, it's a very difficult degree. Had a friend who did Science. They started off at a high level like you were saying.

He was lost at the start and spent four or five hours a night studying and spent his weekends studying. He went out one night every two weeks during college and rarely would be seen on the weekends unless something was on like a birthday or some event.

He had to do this or would have flunking out of the course. He graduated with a 2.1 in physics and Mathematical science. They don't baby you in college, its up to yourself to learn and research

You really need to do a lot of research before picking your course and how much effort you have to put in to get your degree.

I did Software development and knew what to expect. I was a bit like my friend but didn't have quite the workload he had. Long nights, long weekends to keep up with the workload. Spending two days on a simple piece of code that might have taken someone else an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Also if you go in with the idea that all you need is a "Pass" you will definitly fail! You should be aiming for 100%. College grading is extremely tough and anyway who tries for a pass fail miserably.

Advertisement