Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Wow, talk about taking that O'Gara article the wrong way!

Some of the reaction here is like reading the fúcking Redtops!

"O'Gara not happy unless he is center of attention"

ROG gave an honest and open interview, he said exactly what everyone knew he was feeling.

You'd be mad to think he gained any satisfaction from coming on the field with 10 minutes to go against a beaten Italy side, knowing that he wouldn't even get to take place kicks!

This is a man, who lives for pressure. He's won Heiniken Cups, Grand Slams and World Cup games with vital kicks.

He doesn't want to play a bit part role in a game against Italy. You saw that with his first penalty kick. He decided to go for a spectacular kick to make his mark, and get it right in the corner. Instead he left it short and it didn't make it to touch. To me that said it all. If he felt the game was on the line, he would have banged it into touch, 10m back from where he aimed and got on with the game.

Just relax, not everything O'Gara does is trying to undermine Sexton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Kidney lambasted for not speaking his mind, ROG lambasted for doing so.

Ego is as much a part of an outhalf as his passing game. Sexton has bags of it too, although maybe not as much as our ROG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Ego is as much a part of an outhalf as his passing game. Sexton has bags of it too, although maybe not as much as our ROG

Nope, that isn't it. You don't find a single other player in Irish rugby attempt to undermine the player in competition for their place in the media. ROG has attempted it a few times at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

I reckon Kidney has always spoken his mind tbh.

He doesn't have much to say because he doesn't really know that much about rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭phog

danthefan wrote: »
    Nope, that isn't it. You don't find a single other player in Irish rugby attempt to undermine the player in competition for their place in the media. ROG has attempted it a few times at this stage.

Sexton is a big boy now and both players seem to get on very well with each other, huge pity the fans cant. There seems to be a group of fans that can't/won't accept ROG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is he being criticised for speaking or is he being criticised for what he said? Two completely different things, weak defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

David Beckham.

As his relevance to the national team further diminishes he can't accept that the debate is no longer about him and you will see increased media coverage.

Why is an opinion that would be regarded as petulant in an under 10 looked upon as refreshing in a man at the end of his career? THat same under 10 would get the "team is bigger than any one individual" talk. Maybe it's too late for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If a player does not believe they are the best in their position and work hard to prove that fact to their coach/manager, then they should just go home.

Whatever other's opinions are, ROG believes he is the man for the job and he wants all the game time he can get. I want every player for Ireland to feel the same.

phog wrote: »
    Sexton is a big boy now and both players seem to get on very well with each other, huge pity the fans cant. There seems to be a group of fans that can't/won't accept ROG.

Having been at countless Leinster v Munster games in Dublin, Limerick and Cork, I get on grand with Munster fans. If you have problems then you're probably the cause of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Is he being criticised for speaking or is he being criticised for what he said? Two completely different things, weak defense.

The only weakness here is that being displayed by yourself in your inability to grasp the point of what O'Gara said in his interview. I posted the article as I believe it offers a rare insight into the mindset of a top professional athlete.

I'm sorry I did tbh as it has descended into the usual ROG/Sexton, Munster/Leinster p*ssing contest

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    If a player does not believe they are the best in their position and work hard to prove that fact to their coach/manager, then they should just go home.

Maybe that's why we've a certain amount of staleness in the team, players know they're not going to be dropped. I'll say it again, drop Darcy, DOC and one of the back row for one game, they'd be a huge performance in their next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

emmet02 wrote: »
    .He doesn't have much to say because he doesn't really know that much about rugby!

thanks for the laugh

Having been at countless Leinster v Munster games in Dublin, Limerick and Cork, I get on grand with Munster fans. If you have problems then you're probably the cause of them.

That's the strange thing, fans get on fine when together but some posters take it to a new low when posting anonymously.

Justindee put it very well recently in saying that he posts on internet forums like as if he was talking to the person.

phog wrote: »
    That's the strange thing, fans get on fine when together but some posters take it to a new low when posting anonymously.

Justindee put it very well recently in saying that he posts on internet forums like as if he was talking to the person.

Staggering lack of self awareness here, but whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The problem with these interviews is that generally you don't see the question that prompted the quote. I read that comment as referring to the wider debate (that's been raging here as well) about who should be starting and who should be on the bench, not about O'Gara himself.

The juxtaposition of that comment and the previous one about himself could well have been deliberate.

I'm very leery of quotes in newspapers and how they are placed. I've seen too many 'contextualised' quotes to be in any hurry to read too much into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

My cruel brother in law just texted a colleague over there to say the match was off due a strike by the stewards.

Benny Cake wrote: »

The only weakness here is that being displayed by yourself in your inability to grasp the point of what O'Gara said in his interview. I posted the article as I believe it offers a rare insight into the mindset of a top professional athlete.

I'm sorry I did tbh as it has descended into the usual ROG/Sexton, Munster/Leinster p*ssing contest
    Did I mention Sexton or Leinster at all in any of my posts at all whatsoever? It must just be your inability to grasp what is being said in them?

O'Gara says he doesnt take any satisfaction from playing for his country when he isn't starting. He undermines the man ahead of him. What am I not grasping exactly?

I've watched O'Gara the past decade and loved what he did for Ireland. He's actually a cousin of mine (the dark southern side of our family that we hide away) and I've been to see him play in 3 Heineken Cup finals and many other times for Munster. He's a legend and will go down in Irish rugby history.

However I don't appreciate the way he has handled being dropped. On one hand people praise John Hayes for selflessly giving himself to his country for as long as he possibly could without the slightest begrudgery (asked to not retire to cover the world cup etc). Then the same people praise O'Gara for the opposite.

I don't think he's the only oversized ego in the squad, but he is the only one who continually displays it in a negative manner. He'll take a supportive role so long as everyone knows he's still there.

I personally think he's just happy to play up to the media who are trying to milk his and his Leinster brother's rivalry for all its worth.

I'm not saying he shouldnt say what he feels btw. I don't agree with what he says but ill fight for his right to say it and all that.

Where does ROG undermine Sexton?

Only mentions Sexton to say, that they had a rocky relationship in the begining, and now are getting on grand.

Exactly like the David Humphreys relationship. David Humphreys breathing down ROG's neck, lead O'Gara to become one of the best players under extreme pressure. By putting Sexton under the same pressure, Sexton knows that he has to play at the peak of his game every minute he is on the pitch to show the management he is worthy of his spot.

If Sexton can't deal with that, then he isn't worth his place on the team, simple as, because when it comes to a pressure situation, if having ROG behind you spooks you, then a 45m Drop Goal to win the match in front of 55,000 will spook you.

Sexton has come on leaps and bounds since he accepted the fact that O'Gara would be competition. I thought he was poor enough against Italy from open play, (by his own standards, not knocking him at all) but made the vital kicks, on his weaker side to keep pushing us out ahead.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Only mentions Sexton to say, that they had a rocky relationship in the begining, and now are getting on grand.

Exactly like the David Humphreys relationship. David Humphreys breathing down ROG's neck, lead O'Gara to become one of the best players under extreme pressure. By putting Sexton under the same pressure, Sexton knows that he has to play at the peak of his game every minute he is on the pitch to show the management he is worthy of his spot.

If Sexton can't deal with that, then he isn't worth his place on the team, simple as, because when it comes to a pressure situation, if having ROG behind you spooks you, then a 45m Drop Goal to win the match in front of 55,000 will spook you.

Sexton has come on leaps and bounds since he accepted the fact that O'Gara would be competition. I thought he was poor enough against Italy from open play, (by his own standards, not knocking him at all) but made the vital kicks, on his weaker side to keep pushing us out ahead.

Are you honestly telling me you can't read between the lines?
    I’d love to say that if you’re 17 or 37, the best players get picked but there are other considerations. You have to build for the future

The clear implication is that the best player is not being picked.

As for Sexton not handling it, what are you on about? Give an example. You'll note he hasn't given any interviews remotely like ROG has, and he's playing plenty well enough to kill any debate over whether he should start. It's quite clearly ROG who can't handle getting (rightly) dropped. Anyone who wants ROG back as first choice for Ireland is off their rocker.

O'Gara says he doesnt take any satisfaction from playing for his country when he isn't starting. He undermines the man ahead of him. What am I not grasping exactly?

Where exactly is that said?
    “It’s an emotional rollercoaster. I played eight or 10 minutes; it was a boring game at that stage. You don’t get much satisfaction, from a selfish point of view.

He said this in reference to the ITALY GAME ONLY!. Im sure he took great pride in coming off the bench last year, and slotting the Dropgoal to win the game.

To bring a man like him off the bench with 8 minutes to go to pick up a token cap, when a game is won, is not going to bring him satisfaction. He'll do his job, and be happy with the win, but for him as a player, he wants to be out there for 80 minutes, like he is with Munster, dictating the play.

Ask ANY Rugby player, and they'll tell you the same thing. Would you rather be on the bench wathcing, or on the field winning the game for your country.

You are twisting his words for whatever reason, maybe you get kicks from it?

As i said earlier, its like reading Tabloid rubbish here sometimes.

• Advertisement

What rugby were you watching? O'Gara was far far shakier with Humph in and out of the squad than he was after he went.

He was dropped in the 01 (or was it 02?) 6N and then couldn't kick a thing on a tour to NZ, think he only kicked one or two penalties on the whole tour.

And I don't remember Humphreys being this stubborn in the media. (Although rugby wasn't in the media as much then to be fair).

Are you honestly telling me you can't read between the lines?

The clear implication is that the best player is not being picked.

As for Sexton not handling it, what are you on about? Give an example. You'll note he hasn't given any interviews remotely like ROG has, and he's playing plenty well enough to kill any debate over whether he should start. It's quite clearly ROG who can't handle getting (rightly) dropped. Anyone who wants ROG back as first choice for Ireland is off their rocker.
    Of course he thinks he's the best player!

If you are on an International team, you have to believe that you are better then anyone else in your position, or else you don't have the mindset for this game!

I think O'Gara is a great player, and would suit certain types of games better then Sexton, but overall... I'd pick Sexton without hesitation.

O'Gara has had to deal with Competition at number 10 for a lot of his International Career, so if he goes in with the attitude that he is second best, then he has already lost, he might as well retire. Because if the coach is telling you you aren't number 1, the fans are telling you you're not number 1, and you are telling yourself you're not number 1, then why do you play the game? No one wants to sit on the bench for 72 minutes every game. The day O'Gara decides he's not good enough for international Rugby, he will retire.

Ask ANY Rugby player, and they'll tell you the same thing. Would you rather be on the bench wathcing, or on the field winning the game for your country.

You are twisting his words for whatever reason, maybe you get kicks from it?

As i said earlier, its like reading Tabloid rubbish here sometimes.
    Hold on, you're the one twisting things here.

Would I prefer to be starting or on the bench? Starting, obviously. That's not what he or I are saying though. You somehow read it, but its not what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Big responsibility on Sexton today to get some control of the game at Outhalf.He was very good last week in Aviva but I would argue that he has yet to hit the heights at an away game against top opposition in the 6N.He has oodles of talent.Hopefully we see a complete performance today

Hold on, you're the one twisting things here.

Would I prefer to be starting or on the bench? Starting, obviously. That's not what he or I are saying though. You somehow read it, but its not what he said.
    That is seriously what you took from the post!

Ok consider this question.

Sexton is sat on the bench for 72 minutes, game is won, ROG has put in a great kicking performance, and is sure to get MOM.

Sexton is then asked to come on for the last 8 minutes.

Is Sexton a) Delighted to be called, extatic to put on the Green Shirt and go out and play for his country!
    b) Disappointed that he wasn't out there from the begining to put on a show for the coach and show that he should be Number 10, but still happy form a team point of view that the game is won.
    c) Another answer...

Please tell me you can see ROG's point of view.

Id like to think it wouldnt be

C) Give an interview in the national media saying you took no satisfaction from being part of the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

There's one thing saying "I reckon I'm playing better rugby, the coach doesn't though and I'll prove him wrong if given the chance". It's very different when he implies the reason he's not getting picked is because DK has to build Sexton's confidence.

Nothing wrong with the interview aside from his final quote which does nobody any good the day before a massive game in Paris.

Id like to think it wouldnt be

C) Give an interview in the national media saying you took no satisfaction from being part of the win.
    “There is no reply to the ignorant like keeping silence”

/exits thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Does anyone know how soon after the match is it available on rte player?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

guapos wrote: »
    Does anyone know how soon after the match is it available on rte player?
    thanks

Think they're fairly sharp with them for the 6N. Would expect it to be up there tonight possibly or tomorrow morning at the latest. They have to hold fire when it comes to Pro12 games as Setanta have the rights to show the replay before RTE can host it online.

Advertisement