Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mardyke Arena Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

Mario007 wrote: »
    Can you get the guys in the gym to help you create a work-out plan? I heard they do that, but I'm not too sure and honestly i don't wanna go in and ask only to be told that they don't do that.

Yep its not a bother. I went on a strength plan last year. I didn't know any of the equipment or exercises so ya man showed me, grand. You need to make an appointment. Better this week and next than when term starts again,

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

What are the facilities like for powerlifting? Are there squat/power racks, deadlift platforms, olympic bars and bumper plates, etc.???

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Nervosa wrote: »
    Yep its not a bother. I went on a strength plan last year. I didn't know any of the equipment or exercises so ya man showed me, grand. You need to make an appointment. Better this week and next than when term starts again,

Coolio, cheers. I'll definitely do that, cause yeah I've got no idea how to use any of the equipment properly.

Yea it's great because you actually start working out effectively then. Before I was just on the treadmill or bike for an hour thinking I was the bomb.

Yeah I was kinda the same two years back. Can I also ask, where do you actually go to get the appointment. Do you have to register on their website or just go to the helpdesk?

• Advertisement

Mario007 wrote: »
    Yeah I was kinda the same two years back. Can I also ask, where do you actually go to get the appointment. Do you have to register on their website or just go to the helpdesk?

Not the help desk, though they might help you too, but in the gym part. Either the weights area or gym. There are desks there with gym staff looking after the place.

Nervosa wrote: »
    Not the help desk, though they might help you too, but in the gym part. Either the weights area or gym. There are desks there with gym staff looking after the place.

Right, coolio. Thanks again, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Question, I'm getting the grant for certain and am gonna refuse to pay the fees until it comes through but if I pay the 150€ capitation fee while I be able to use the mardyke?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Question, I'm getting the grant for certain and am gonna refuse to pay the fees until it comes through but if I pay the 150€ capitation fee while I be able to use the mardyke?

yeah you should be fine, membership is included in the student capitation which goes to UCC services and a few other things. the fees are separate and will have no impact on gym membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Is there new dressing rooms that we have to use inside there now?

(I havent been in there since last october maybe? :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Is there new dressing rooms that we have to use inside there now?

(I havent been in there since last october maybe? :P )

Ye, when you go in, go through the barriers, up the stairs, down past the squash courts and then in the next door on the left. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

are we able to use the indoor track at anytime? and is it for sprinting? XD
    and does anyone know what they are doing to the outdoor track?? hope its just a resurfacing :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Anyone know if you can get internet there or is it on a different network to the UCC students one? :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

You can't get UCC internet there, but the coffee dock place has WiFi, purchase something and they will give u the code. That's how it was last year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

Does anyone find that theres always a horrible smell of ****e near the showers and in the relaxation room? they really need to sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

You can't get UCC internet there, but the coffee dock place has WiFi, purchase something and they will give u the code. That's how it was last year anyway

Seemed to be able to access the students network from the main arena. Just need it for during the Demons game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Any one think that the free weights section of the gym is far too small for the amount of members that the maradyke has?

There is of coarse the team training area which is off limits even though it remains unused 80% of the time.

Also when would people considering to be the quitest time for the weights?? im considering hitting the place for 7 am

twinytwo wrote: »
    Any one think that the free weights section of the gym is far too small for the amount of members that the maradyke has?

There is of coarse the team training area which is off limits even though it remains unused 80% of the time.

Also when would people considering to be the quitest time for the weights?? im considering hitting the place for 7 am
    agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anyone tried signing up for the new 'Member area' on the Mardyke Arena site? I used my Umail but still haven't received an email...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

On the membership thing it says that Pool/Gym is €430 a year and Category 1 is €235. Anyone know what this Category one thing is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jsmith20ie

Category 1 is if you have graduated in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Has anyone seen the "Spotted UCC Gym" page on facebook? I've been reading it, and while I can appreciate the humour, it's putting me off going to the gym. I want to start going regularly because my timetable dictates that I can, not just because it's a New Year's Resolution because those are mostly shallow anyway.

I'm a bit intimidated about going in the first place since I'm paranoid that I'll stand out as a noob and make a fool of myself. I've been told by people that everyone thinks that and nobody takes any notice, but the facebook page is making me think otherwise since they seem to like openly mocking people/commenting on people.

What do ye think here? I doubt those working in the arena itself know about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one being put off...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the "Spotted UCC Gym" page on facebook? I've been reading it, and while I can appreciate the humour, it's putting me off going to the gym. I want to start going regularly because my timetable dictates that I can, not just because it's a New Year's Resolution because those are mostly shallow anyway.

I'm a bit intimidated about going in the first place since I'm paranoid that I'll stand out as a noob and make a fool of myself. I've been told by people that everyone thinks that and nobody takes any notice, but the facebook page is making me think otherwise since they seem to like openly mocking people/commenting on people.

What do ye think here? I doubt those working in the arena itself know about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one being put off...

I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you! It's mainly lads they're mocking on it, and it's mainly friends who know the person that are sending them in I'd say! And you could be spotted in the library just as easily! :p
    I wouldn't be paranoid or nervous at all about going in the first place either! Everybody has to start somewhere, and you could always get someone to go with you who has a better idea of what they're doing, even once, just to see what it's like! Or even just go in some day or late some night to have a walk around!

Palytoxin wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you! It's mainly lads they're mocking on it, and it's mainly friends who know the person that are sending them in I'd say! And you could be spotted in the library just as easily! :p
    I wouldn't be paranoid or nervous at all about going in the first place either! Everybody has to start somewhere, and you could always get someone to go with you who has a better idea of what they're doing, even once, just to see what it's like! Or even just go in some day or late some night to have a walk around!

Ha thanks, can't help being a bit paranoid!:o

None of my friends actually use the gym so if I'm going, I'm going alone. I don't want to be depending on someone to come with me all the time, it's easier to rely on yourself!

I was thinking of going in on Friday and just asking about it in general at reception. I haven't a clue how to work any of the machines...I might just join an aerobics class of some description to get settled in to a routine and get used to the idea if that makes sense!:p One baby step at a time!

Ha thanks, can't help being a bit paranoid!:o

None of my friends actually use the gym so if I'm going, I'm going alone. I don't want to be depending on someone to come with me all the time, it's easier to rely on yourself!

I was thinking of going in on Friday and just asking about it in general at reception. I haven't a clue how to work any of the machines...I might just join an aerobics class of some description to get settled in to a routine and get used to the idea if that makes sense!:p One baby step at a time!

dont worry, i used to have loads of body building friends who thought me alot in the gym although i don t like the gym. and theyre used to noobs and they understand everyone starts somewhere...sure how do you think they got there? infact, sometimes you might even get help of them for spotting etc... but ofcourse there are the odd assholes, but thats life assholes are everywhere and no one likes those people anyways.

shane9689 wrote: »
    dont worry, i used to have loads of body building friends who thought me alot in the gym although i don t like the gym. and theyre used to noobs and they understand everyone starts somewhere...sure how do you think they got there? infact, sometimes you might even get help of them for spotting etc... but ofcourse there are the odd assholes, but thats life assholes are everywhere and no one likes those people anyways.

That's true! I just find sometimes people forget where they started, which results in asshole behaviour!:p

I'll head in Friday and see how I get on sure! Thanks for the reassurance guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You'll be grand, I'm still learning in the gym after three years but for the most part I suspect people are too into their routine to actually pay attention to your errors. :D So nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Monkey Sampan

A good few of the 'stories' seem to be copy and paste jobs from other similar pages around the country.
    To be honest you'd really have to try hard to gain attention inside there. People of all ages and sizes use the place.
    Staff are dead sound if you need to ask them anything, or if you need to report something.

Mornings are dead quiet, same after about 8:45 at night and especially Thursday and Friday nights.
    Bring earphones, put some music on a USB stick, plug it into exercise bike and ignore everything else around you.
    Might be daunting the first few times, but it you'll start to like it in no time

• Advertisement

A good few of the 'stories' seem to be copy and paste jobs from other similar pages around the country.
    To be honest you'd really have to try hard to gain attention inside there. People of all ages and sizes use the place.
    Staff are dead sound if you need to ask them anything, or if you need to report something.

Mornings are dead quiet, same after about 8:45 at night and especially Thursday and Friday nights.
    Bring earphones, put some music on a USB stick, plug it into exercise bike and ignore everything else around you.
    Might be daunting the first few times, but it you'll start to like it in no time

Thanks :) I know once I start going regularly I'll like it, I'm always bad when it comes to starting things!:p

Advertisement