Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Dinner at night,That is about it :pac:

Oh man...for that rent? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 updekingdom

stay away from this ****hole.<snip>don'y name individual staff members</snip>.the fire alarms go off at least 3 times a week and the whole building has to be evacuated outside in the cold,usually round 4am.the kitchens are tiny and the walls are like paper.the power goes out when its cold and they tell us to turn off our radiators.its usually freezing and the halls are filthy.there is no security what so ever only a code for a gate which everyone knows 7799.theres only hot water for about 3 hrs in the morning and the boost must be put on to heat it in the evening,another way to rob us of our deposits.the internet is fast but unreliable,basically its a total dump.costs round 5200.very hard to get a good nights sleep with random drunks ringing your doorbell on a thursday and tuesday night.as you can tell its a dump.i would strongly advise 1st years to stay clear.get a house or stay in the student village acommadation,much more comfortable and nicer staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 updekingdom

* victoria lodge - supposedly it has become party central this year and theres been no problem with security and the like which is great. have never heard complaints from anyone. the sofas are more comforable than farranlea! majority of first years. about 12-13 mins from college going by either orchard or western rd.

its a shiate hole.no security what so ever.the sofas are small and the matrasses are horrific if you have a double bed

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lauraisginger

I'm in first year at the mo and I'm living in Castlewhite, I didn't hear about any of the "Castle****e" stuff until after I paid my deposit so I was a little aprehensive to say the least. But I have to say I love it there! No en-suites but you get used to it. The couches are extremely comfy! And due to the floods the bottom apartments are full of brand new everything!
    Its great for parties too, everyones very welcoming, well most people! :P The security is good and not as strict as other places I've been to [Oh my god Brookefield].And the literally 3 minute walk from campus is a god send!Especially considering the aformentioned party thing!

The only time I was in Vic Lodge was flood night so that might dampen my view [oh puns :D] but the kitchen is tiny and the rooms are tiny and between the styling of the hallways and the water I felt like I was in the Titanic!Also a lot of girls from school are living there and I've heard nothing but bad things.

Farnlea's bedrooms are tiny but the ensuites are fair handy. The kitchen bit is decorated quite nicely but its all a bit open for my liking, and as people have been saying the couches are not comfy in the slightest!

I was in Brookefield just before xmas for a party and when I arrived I couldn't get over how nice the place was. It has lovely greens and stone benches and the red brick and steps thing is gorgeous!....But then I got inside...oh no. It was all very hostelly. Such a shame :(. And my god the security was a bollix!

I've never been inside Vic mills but I've heard nothing but good things about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I'd recommend The Village its great! I remember visiting it last year and not thinking much of it but I ended up staying there this year and its totally changed my mind! Its really nice and homily. Great atmosphere, very comfortable couches and furniture etc etc. and having chorus is brilliant! Its hard to get us out of the sitting room! Nearly always have hot water and broadband! Most rooms arent en suite but you get used to it and its grand! Its only about ten mins ta college, maybe slightly more which isnt too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

Anyone have any information on Jennings pool? I've heard Brookfields a dump but not a lot on Jennings pool! Is it hard to get into Uni hall as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bobbyrae

Has anyone got any info on the village,victoria mills or brookfield?out of the 3 what wud ye recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Blue_Rose wrote: »
    Anyone have any information on Jennings pool? I've heard Brookfields a dump but not a lot on Jennings pool! Is it hard to get into Uni hall as well?

You're unlikely to get into Jennings Pool if you're a first year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Anybody have any good recommendations for a good place to stay over the summer?

Looking for somewhere that wouldn't be hugely expensive around UCC itself as it would be handy for work. Internet/Chorus would be desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Looking for somewhere that wouldn't be hugely expensive around UCC itself as it would be handy for work. Internet/Chorus would be desirable.

Most of the houses on college road are still available during the summer, rents between 45 and 60 a week. If people are staying on from during the year the internet and chorus might still be set up but I don't really know about that

• Advertisement

my gaff is 50 for the summer, with interent and ntl set up..

my gaff is 50 for the summer, with interent and ntl set up..

Yeah i paid 55 over the summer with no internet and just the bogger channels(No offence intended L :p)

Just dunno whether to go for the student accommodation places as they are pretty close to where i work or go out on a limb and move into a house with strangers.
    I was lucky this summer as the strangers i moved in with were sound but ive heard not so nice stories from others.

Yeah i paid 55 over the summer with no internet and just the bogger channels(No offence intended L :p)

Just dunno whether to go for the student accommodation places as they are pretty close to where i work or go out on a limb and move into a house with strangers.
    I was lucky this summer as the strangers i moved in with were sound but ive heard not so nice stories from others.

if i can find a job, i'll probably be staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

You're unlikely to get into Jennings Pool if you're a first year...

I'm not! Sure they don't accept first years anyway methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

I am almost certain that they dont accept first years in university hall, there is a huge waiting list for that place from what I know. Also, they accept firsy years in most places. Some houses on the lists in the accommodation office do specify no first years, but that is a minority. Most purpose built student accomodations are available to first years, with the exception of ones reserved for post graduate students, which makes sense really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Dont waste your money on student villages like Brookfield or Victoria Mills. They're a complete rip off. Plenty houses to be had in and around Bandon Road. Much better value to be had in a normal house.

I have booked brookfield and i was wondering does anyone know if it has broadband?i shud be staying in one of the houses there!
    any other info as well wud be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

bobbyrae wrote: »
    I have booked brookfield and i was wondering does anyone know if it has broadband?i shud be staying in one of the houses there!
    any other info as well wud be good!
    You really should of gathered info about Brookfield before you booked it.

You really should of gathered info about Brookfield before you booked it.

i did gather info on it! a simple question i wanted to ask and forgot !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

grenache wrote: »
    Dont waste your money on student villages like Brookfield or Victoria Mills. They're a complete rip off. Plenty houses to be had in and around Bandon Road. Much better value to be had in a normal house.

All the student accommodation I have been looking at are the ones generally used by UCC students, or atleast like theyre known to be used by a large majority of UCC students. So I was just wondering if other housing, like around Bandon Road as you mentioned, are occupied by UCC students aswell or if theyre just reasonably priced accommodation?
    All of the housing seems fair expensive :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

AllInOne wrote: »
    All the student accommodation I have been looking at are the ones generally used by UCC students, or atleast like theyre known to be used by a large majority of UCC students. So I was just wondering if other housing, like around Bandon Road as you mentioned, are occupied by UCC students aswell or if theyre just reasonably priced accommodation?
    All of the housing seems fair expensive :(

Find a room in a house with people you don't know or get some mates and get one together. Don't be afraid of living in the suburbs. I know it's convenient to live near a college but that's why there are buses and that's why you have legs. I'm living out on the Douglas Road. It takes me 35 mins to walk to college everyday. What's the pay off? I'm paying €316 a month in rent, after a recent reduction, for a terraced family house, with a back garden and a garage that i'm sharing with 2 others. The highest our esb bill has been was around €110 for the 2 months. Gas was even lower. The student accommodations offered by UCC, as tantalisingly convenient as they are, are a rip off.

Edit: As I posted in another thread..
    Some of those prices are taking the complete and utter piss. In the current climate the very most you should be paying for rent is €80 per week, especially if you're only signing a new lease. Some of us are still legally obliged to pay higher rates as we signed a lease last year when rents were still relatively high. But for a new lease, anything over €80 a week is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

Find a room in a house with people you don't know or get some mates and get one together. Don't be afraid of living in the suburbs. I know it's convenient to live near a college but that's why there are buses and that's why you have legs. I'm living out on the Douglas Road. It takes me 35 mins to walk to college everyday. What's the pay off? I'm paying €316 a month in rent, after a recent reduction, for a terraced family house, with a back garden and a garage that i'm sharing with 2 others. The highest our esb bill has been was around €110 for the 2 months. Gas was even lower. The student accommodations offered by UCC, as tantalisingly convenient as they are, are a rip off.

Edit: As I posted in another thread..

Thanks very much for the advice! Those are some decent prices alright. I'll have to do some more research into it anyway, my sister lives in Cork so I'll just have to ask her for her recommendations. Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

But how many weeks/months do you have to pay for in an off-campus digs/house? Then the two prices can be compared, because you pay-per year for the campus.

Liveit wrote: »
    But how many weeks/months do you have to pay for in an off-campus digs/house? Then the two prices can be compared, because you pay-per year for the campus.

It depends. You can get very flexible landlords who'll rent for the college term. Look and you will find. The UCC accommodation is very expensive no matter what way you look at it.

But how long is the college term?

Ah ok. Usually from the end of September until the exams in May.

You can get houses and campus accomodation for the college year. Its usually considered to be nine months. September to may/start of june. Many of the college houses are rented out for just the three months of the summer aswell so you should have no problem finding somewhere for just the nine months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Then the two prices can be compared, because you pay-per year for the campus.

No you don't. I'm in Deanshall til the 4th of June, then I have to leave.

No, wait a minute.
    I meant college year instead of the whole year sorry Jay P.
    On the UCC accomidation website it says like 4k is the price, and landlords quote their price in weeks or months so I wanted to know how many weeks/months you would have to rent the house for to get a comparison. That was my reason for asking those question

• Advertisement

No, wait a minute.
    I meant college year instead of the whole year sorry Jay P.
    On the UCC accomidation website it says like 4k is the price, and landlords quote their price in weeks or months so I wanted to know how many weeks/months you would have to rent the house for to get a comparison. That was my reason for asking those question

Just take it as nine months as landlords would very unlikely rent to you for 6/7 months as they probably wouldnt get people for the month or two that you are not there before or after the summer.

On this not i must find somewhere to move out to over the summer. Have checked out some places already but they havent been great.

Advertisement