Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zelda Review From Famitsu

• 12-12-2002 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

The Japanese Magazine Famitsu gave Zelda a perfect 40 score in their review. It is only the 4th game in its history to get a perfect mark.

Here's a translation of their review (doesnt say a lot about the game but its an interesting enough read)

Bakataaru: 10
    It surpasses the impact of "Ocarina," surprising in that it's not inferior. Being that this Zelda seems to be in a new epoch, there is enormous security. Also, with animation different from realism, a new dimension of game expression is found here. The mighty deep story develops in the stages, and not while traveling. It's safe to say that it's Zelda. Seriously, play it!

Harinama: 10
    With the expression method of toon rendering as the catalyst, the game's characteristic worldview is accomplished in a miraculous chemical reaction. I'm convinced that this video game is of most superior entertainment. Everything is fun. I expect that it'll be impossible not to fall in love with this world.

Fukami Midan: 10
    Remember, especially when playing Zelda, that animation of insecure expression is caused by the world's tinge; it conveys characters' emotions through eye movement. When understood, the heart shakes and the experience may bring you to tears. Puzzles and battles are also at the proper degree of difficulty, sufficient to solve!

Kamikaze: 10
    Through joy, anger, grief, and happiness, your expression after solving a troublesome puzzle is that of surprise. And each time you advance in the game, it expands your excitement. Quite like the child who plays for the first time, this game touches your heart. It's also great that those who have not yet experienced the series can easily enter into this revamped design without feeling strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Im still not too sure if I'll get it. The cell-shading would destroy any deep storyline really, and the graphics arent going to be much to look at, and seeing as storyline and graphics are what I look for in games...

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Tizlox,

Have you seen it in motion? I swear, the game is so unbelieveably fluid and theres not a jagged line or even pixel in sight! I'd imagine that when playing it, it feels less than a game and more like an interactive cartoon.

This was the first ever game that i considered modding my GameCube and importing it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by Tizlox
    Im still not too sure if I'll get it. The cell-shading would destroy any deep storyline really, and the graphics arent going to be much to look at, and seeing as storyline and graphics are what I look for in games...

i can't handle this, its just too much work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Lol, nice translations there :D

Regarding the game, I think it will be sweet and I cant wait to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

Iv never looked forward to a game more (except the ocarina of time) though that sounded more like a review of a trendy arthouse film. wasnt ocarina of time the first game to get a 40 out of 40 score?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Check out Justin's first impressions of the game over on Tokyopia for a really excellent look at why this is going to be so amazing :)

I hated the look of it when they first showed screens, but having played it for about 30 minutes I'm itching for it to arrive. Nggggh so long to wait....

Ooooh you played it? Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

It's not that cell shading that písses me off so much..its the fact that they gave Link that godamn rugby ball head

Graphics have rarely taken away from the gameplay Tizlox, (which is why I have all the GB Zelda games :p ) and I fail to see how cell-shading would 'destroy any deep storyline'

Can't wait to give it a go ..it (along with Soul Calibur 2) are the reason I'm getting a GC! ;D

- ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

FF7 had a great story line and a handful of cut scenes aside, had graphics nothing near as good as Zelda GC cell shaded or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

can nai wait for it [to b said wit a scottish accent].

i like the translation, u can feel the crazy japanese ozzing out of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Only reason I see cell-shading as something that can go against a deep storyline is that for example, its a sad scene, links being told zelda was captured, or something or other, and the camera rotates to see his huge head with a humerous wanting to look sad face on him. I'd have to laugh..

It might surprise me though. Look at old games like the secret of mana, that has bad graphics (great for the snes though), and it has one of the most gripping storylines I've ever seen, and the gameplay was top notch..

we'll wait and see then..

Watching the IGN Insider movies is like watching a childhood dream come true :(

In one if them. A kid comes up to look at link, he's about half his height and has a huge snot going in and out of the kids nose as he breathes. I was pissing myself laughing at it.

When you hit an enemy, a note sounds, and successive hits (possibly combos) create a little nifty tune.

The animation is unlike anything i've ever seen, from the dangling lips of those pig creatures, to Links immaculately moving eyes, you just can't help but be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

F*ck.... Play.com have had this game's release date set at 7th of February next year in Europe. However I just read on The Adrenaline Vault that its not due for release in America until March 24th? By the usual USA vs. Europe release dates, that'll probably equate to an July release date here or something crap like that.

Anyone got concrete info on a European release date?

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Yup, heard similar reports unfortunatly.......

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=3226

Looking like a July release date. Aparantly the Nintendo -> Capcom + Sega rumours are hotting up as well with an announcement due on Tuesday...

We shall see..

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=3233

Advertisement