Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live aquarium plants?

• 30-03-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good place to buy aquarium plants?somewhere with a good selection!everywhere iv been seem to just have a coupleof different plants?i have a large enough tank and want to plant it with lots of live plants!
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

fintastic aquatics in dunlaoighaire have plenty of tropica plants, and get orders very frequent, have a look
    www.fintasticaquatics.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Petstop Blanchardstown stock the full Tropica range of plants. Very good quality.

If you are a beginner go for Hygrophilia, Amazon Swords, Bacopa, Anubias, Java Fern, Onion Plants, Elodia, Crypts and vallis.

All are sturdy plants.

Also consider with fish you have. Many SA Cichlids dig them up, some fish nibble on plants (Livebearers), some eat them to the stalks (Silver Dollars), some fish are clumsy and destroy plants (common Plecs etc).

Good luck.

Also check out the Leinster Fishkeeping Society Forum.

www.irishfishforum.com

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

thanks for the info both of you!will check out them places!i have a couple of fake plants in at the moment (the most realistic i could find) but much prefer the look of live plants!will try those beginner plants you suggested!thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I saw a poster recently in Lidl for safe aquatic plants for fish they might have some now.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

I saw a poster recently in Lidl for safe aquatic plants for fish they might have some now.
    Yeah, very cheap too! But I think the plants were coldwater types like elodea or something... the fish would prob be quick to take them apart.

+1 on the Tropica plants by the way. Top class gear from what I see!

• Advertisement

Theres a lidl just down the road so il pop in and have a look thanks!and il definatly check out them tropica plants!do all live plants need fertilizer or co2?sorry for the questions the plants bit of the tank hasnt really been working out!everthing else seems fine!the tank has been running since around augest and fish seem fine, none dying or anything and the pair of sajicas have bred 3 or 4 times the babies just get eating by the other fish after a while!any tips for a noobie fish keeper appreciated too:)

cos!! wrote: »
    Theres a lidl just down the road so il pop in and have a look thanks!and il definatly check out them tropica plants!do all live plants need fertilizer or co2?sorry for the questions the plants bit of the tank hasnt really been working out!everthing else seems fine!the tank has been running since around augest and fish seem fine, none dying or anything and the pair of sajicas have bred 3 or 4 times the babies just get eating by the other fish after a while!any tips for a noobie fish keeper appreciated too:)

Sajicas are prolific breeders as are many CA Cichlids. They will certainly appreciate the plants as cover but don't be surprised if they uproot and eat a few. Not exactly "Community Fish", i'd be interested to know what tankmates they have and size of the tank.

The plants listed above will be fine without any special treatment, about 8 hours of light and regular water changes. There are fertilisers available but without the correct balance of C02, fertiliser & lighting they don't have much of an effect.

C02 is naturally in water anyway it's just that people sometimes pump it into the water to increase growth and to help more delicate/difficult plants.

There is a product available called "Easycarbo" that i've heard numerous great reports about. Maybe you should check it out too. But again it is not a must.

Yeah tanks will take note and check that out!the tank is a "juwel vision 260" so 260 litres, in with the sajicas theres a small shoal of blackskirt tetras, and a pair of gold severums but even though they're eating normally like the others and are active, they dont seem to have grown at all?

Sounds like a nice mix alright, I love severums. I wouldn't worry about the growth. The have plenty of room so in time they'll get bigger.

Again, they like to dig. I've known people that plant in ceramic pots in the tank to stop the digging but it's a bit extreme and not too pleasing on the eye.;)

thats grand cheers!would love an oscar in there but was thinking it would be too aggresive?what do you think?just ordered some amazon frogbit from ebay so the top of the tank should have some shade and cover when i get the plants in

• Advertisement

Never kept Oscars myself so not 100% sure tbh. The sevs/sajicas will get pretty fiesty themselves when they breed.

Have you considered Firemouths (T. Meeki) or some Geophagus? Clown loaches also make a great addition and look great when the bulk up and get to a good size.

I've got some Keyholes in my community tank, super fish but maybe a little too timid for your tank.

You should check out the Leinster Fishkeeping Site www.irishfishforum.com

Loads of friendly advice and good banter.

sorry, thought i typed that in an earlier post, just checked and i didnt :o i actually have 2 firemouths in the tank, they're still small but well able to look after themselves, do you reckon thats the tank stocked to capacity already (with the size the fish will grow in mind)?i will check out that site out!thanks for all your help its apreciated!and thanks for putting up with me pestering you with questions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

was in fintastic aquatics today buying some plants myself and took a few pics while i was there, this is there planted section

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

thats greats!thanks for that!will try get out there over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

anyone know where i can get some moss balls / java moss in dublin?

Shzm wrote: »
    anyone know where i can get some moss balls / java moss in dublin?

Tropica definitely do them so Petstop Blanchardstown/Wackers Long Mile Road is a good bet. Java moss looks great IMO but it can turn into a pest when it's out of control.

Never kept mossballs, wouldn't mind throwing a few into one of my tanks.

Advertisement