Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing DigiBox EPG

• 27-07-2005 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is there a way of changing a DigiBox's EPG?

So that instead of having the dedicated Irish EPG with the first channels in the entertainment section being RTE 1, 2, TV3, TG4 you would have a listing of ALL the regional BBC channels...

My friends box is set up like this... there must be about 30 different regional BBC1 and BBC2 variations all listened one-after-another in the entertainment section on his digibox! Its a Pace box.

I remember when the Sky engineer was first installing oour system at home before he configured it, BBC Radio 1 was actually listed in the EPG in the Music and Radio section. By the time he had switched to the Irish EPG it had vanished... so I had to add it in using the "Add New Channels" option.

How can I get these BBC radio channels in the EPG?

Btw: I have a box on loan belonging to a friend and I wanna set it up like this for him so he can have all the FTA stuff in his EPG.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no way of changing the EPG unless you want the FTA list.

power off your digibox and insert your viewing card upside down, power up you have all the FTA channels on the EPG, including all the BBC channels. obviously no sub channels are your card is upside down

Sky wont let us customise like non Sky Digital boxes for example. very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The upside down trick stopped working on mine the SW update before the last.

And of course with the current upgrade the "other channels" get PIN protection!! A lot of boxes don't seem to have that update yet.

It is €80 to €100 for good FTA box, have it as well as Sky and you can delete the channels you don't like.

Another €100 adds a motor and gives about 20 satellites on a cheap 80cm dish.

Also A PC satellite card is good for those glued to their workstations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

watty wrote:
    The upside down trick stopped working on mine the SW update before the last.

Yeah I think it stopped pretty much all boxes from "forgetting" the previous card. If you go onto a channel with an interactive service on an encrypted channel though (eg. music choice or MTV Interactive), go into the interactive service and then pull out the card, it will display the "Insert viewing card" message after a few seconds - just hit backup and after another few seconds it should display "Searching for listings" and then reload the default EPG with all BBCs etc. on it. Don't know if it would work for all digiboxes but works on my Pace DS430.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Gargantuan

Heard something from one of the lads in work , he had a problem with his Irish sub card and took it out and cleaned it .When he put it back in it was not in all the way and he had all the UK channels ,I check with him to see if it was not just the FTA channels and he said he had FIVE so I guess he just fluke.

It is now back to Irish sub he put it in fully.
    Wouldn't it be great if it was only that simple to do.
    I haven't tried it but i guess it won't work .........or will it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GeogA'

Thanks for the tips folks!

I try that trick on my own box using the interactive service exploit later chorus techy.

Unfortunately I'll be unable to do this on my friends box (the one I wanna change to default EPG with all BBC stuff)... since I cannot actually get onto an encrypted channel with an interactive service since he no longer has a Sky subscription.

Anybody have any other ideas on how to switch to the default EPG with all BBC stuff on a digibox previously used for a Sky subscription?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement