Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD student thread

• 14-08-2009 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Yay NCAD

I've moved 64 posts out of the Portfolio brief advice thread into here. I think it's better if NCAD students have their own thread where they can post away in it about things relating to NCAD life, projects etc.

That okay with everyone? I'll sticky the thread too. Also, if you want the thread titled changed give me some suggestions! :)

And please, enough of the text speak. It hurts my eyes. If you want to do that kind of chatting go to MSN etc. (serious mod voice)

Any other suggestions feel free to PM me, Snorlax or CorkGirl.

Thanks , Larianne.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

So who else got their book list etc today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

DigiGal wrote: »
    So who else got their book list etc today
    Still waiting on the postman but I had a feeling that stuff would come today at last! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

i got in when the cao offers came out yay :D
    i got the book list etc today as well !
    so excited!

Still waiting on the postman but I had a feeling that stuff would come today at last! :eek:
    Did you get the project yet

Papillon! wrote: »
    i got in when the cao offers came out yay :D
    i got the book list etc today as well !
    so excited!
    Me too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 qwertyu

it says on the letter that you get with the stuff that a project and materials list will be sent out early september...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 arlone

Thats about right, qwertyu.Re book list, don't go buying them, some are v.expensive., go to your local library, if they don't have them they can order them from the libraries that do.

whoops i already bought them i got them from the national gallery they cost 60something euro for the two of them with the 10% discount when i showed my acceptance letter thing...are you going into first year or 2nd? i have to say though, i really don't see myself reading them before the course starts! are they having a laugh when they say to read them beforehand lol??I hope so!:rolleyes:

qwertyu wrote: »
    whoops i already bought them i got them from the national gallery they cost 60something euro for the two of them with the 10% discount when i showed my acceptance letter thing...are you going into first year or 2nd? i have to say though, i really don't see myself reading them before the course starts! are they having a laugh when they say to read them beforehand lol??I hope so!:rolleyes:
    Are they big :?

Oh O!

Very big.. One is 900something pages the other is about 600 or 700 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

A word to the wise, As a fellow NCADer going into third year... I have never read these books....
    They are great really but they are huge, cost a bomb and in the greater scale of things ull be too busy to ever read them! Also, the library has a few copies! Approaching a forth year to buy them second hand might be a wise idea instead of shelling out a small fortune that could be used in a much more exciting way... Like towards booze for freshers week! :P

qwertyu wrote: »
    Very big.. One is 900something pages the other is about 600 or 700 !
    Aggghhhhhhh *Hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Guys, hate to say it but don't buy those two books. I'll root around and see if I can find mine and a few of you can share em if you want. But honestly.. I looked at them once. Maybe twice. And for what I paid for them, it just does not make sense.

Ask people in the older years if they have theirs still, i know people who have sold them on or just given them to first years.

They're lovely books and all but really, they're not a necessary part of the course. Also, if they gave you a seperate booklist, some are well worth a read but you don't have to buy em. Libraries people. LIBRARIES.

Eek, anyone else get their project thingy today? :eek::p

Eek, anyone else get their project thingy today? :eek::p
    Jaysus........How am I gonna carry all that **** in lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh

So we only really source the objects/things from the list...It doesnt exactly say record your observations,so what im taking from is that it is mostly brainstorming type work?

Im more concerned with the bringing of your portfolio...I havent looked at it in a while but im pretty sure it has been distorted beyond recogition from changing it to cater to other colleges.

anyone who got the project thingy understand what they mean when it says

*5 things online...anythings????
    *upload 5 images to internet...like where on internet????
    *4 surfaces
    *a set of fragments

im probably way over thinking this :3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭eleven

*5 things online...anythings????
    *upload 5 images to internet...like where on internet????
    *4 surfaces
    *a set of fragments

im probably way over thinking this :3

Ha! When I first read the letter I thought it was a set of fragrences! I was like WTF??!

It's pretty bonkers in all fairness. I suppose everyone is in the same boat, no really know exactly what they mean... I think they're obtuse on purpose.

Are we just supposed to bring in the objects, or have loads of drawings of them as well?

eleven wrote: »
    Ha! When I first read the letter I thought it was a set of fragrences! I was like WTF??!

It's pretty bonkers in all fairness. I suppose everyone is in the same boat, no really know exactly what they mean... I think they're obtuse on purpose.

Are we just supposed to bring in the objects, or have loads of drawings of them as well?

i think just bring in the objects! (:

How are you guys carrying em in
    I'm thinking of using a suitcase

• Advertisement

i duno...i dont wana look like a complete sap on my first day...but im living too far from town to go back and forth :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭eleven

I think not having a massive suitcase full of crap on the first day will be like going to a fancydress party in your normal clothes!

Papillon! wrote: »
    i duno...i dont wana look like a complete sap on my first day...but im living too far from town to go back and forth :P
    I think they want you to have everything

Its better to look like a sap then get off to an awful start with your lecturers etc
    Plus every1 will have big bags and suitcases

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Bring as much as you can without killing yourself.
    Summmer project, Basic materials (they will give you work to do but nothing too stressful) and a sample of your portfolio. Tutors understand that it is a lot to carry in and will probably be understanding once you have the essentials!
    Suitcases people..... Everyone uses them! :P

kimmyt1987 wrote: »
    Bring as much as you can without killing yourself.
    Summmer project, Basic materials (they will give you work to do but nothing too stressful) and a sample of your portfolio. Tutors understand that it is a lot to carry in and will probably be understanding once you have the essentials!
    Suitcases people..... Everyone uses them! :P
    Yep everyone I know from NCAD said they used suitcases....
    I would reccomend one with wheels lol

DigiGal wrote: »
    Yep everyone I know from NCAD said they used suitcases....
    I would reccomend one with wheels lol

suitcase it is then :D

God, only like two weeks to go now. :D

10 days!!

how are ye getting on with collecting the items and doing the tasks?
    im finding it hard to think of stuff which is personal to me...really feel like that should be the easiest but its not!

****, i've barely got anything done, better ask for some days off work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 leeolee

two weeks! :P
    gah! i couldnt belieeeeve the amount of stuff we gotta bring in...suitcases?!?! (they should provide a bus service for all poor exhausted first years!) ...hmmm...my actually portfolio case is heavy nuff.:( im tiny! haha! i think ill have to hire a sherpa...;)
    any takers??;)
    yeah that whole uploading images and those four recordings of movment...do we like upload them onto a memory stick?..

oh yeah...and in the midst of all those pages of acceptance letter goodness, anybody check out the FIELD TRIPS?!?!?
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! X)
    think i jumped around my kitchen for a good 20 mins annoying everybody in the family...:P

what are people putting as their first choice??

(HOW random is Istanbul?!?!? :P)

apologies for the random post..:P just joined this today in search of other first years:)
    *waves*
    xxxxxx

Advertisement