Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal issues

• 28-11-2015 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Been a lot of noise recently about farmers clamoring for the right to use firearms to defend themselves against intruders and thieves.

I know you can't license a firearm for self-defense/protection.

At the same time I believe there's a new law that says you don't have to retreat in times of home invasion and that you may defend your property and self with reasonable force.

Where does a firearm holder stand in this scenario ? Is it allowable to produce a firearm to try to deter ? Is it acceptable to discharge a warning shot ?

A recent story on the radio had a farmer discharge two shots at a vehicle that tried to run him down. He claimed he slightly wounded one in the shoulder and when they were stopped a bit later the Guards let them go. He was brought to court for the illegal discharge of a firearm. Charge was dismissed and he got his firearm license back.

I guess my question is while its allowable to use reasonable force to protect your home, goods and person is it allowable to use a licensed firearm to do the same ? Given that its impossible to license a firearm for self defense. Seems like a catch 22.

I know for me the effort of turning off alarms, unlocking two safes and trying to assemble bits and pieces makes it a moot point but I'm sure they're are a few with shotguns under the bed.

Quite apart from the legal ramifications of shooting an intruder I think the mental and emotional stress of it would be severe. Studies have shown that during WW2 and the Vietnam war that 70% of troops aimed to miss their enemy. For every 250,000 rounds fired only a tiny percentage hit the target.

Point is most reasonable people don't want to hurt another human even when that person is intent on doing them a mischief.

So while its illegal to license a firearm for self defense/protection, is it illegal to use a legally held firearm for the same ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nope, not a hope, not discussing this in here. It *has* been discussed on the site before (search for mentions of DPP-v-Barnes), but this is a Sports forum, not a self-defence forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement