Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving back to Ireland for start of secondary?

• 07-07-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, we are living in the Middle East for the last 5 years. DS1 is due to start 1st Year in Sept 2016 and I'm very keen to move home for this and for him to have an Irish Secondary Education.....he's in the British System here. DH wants to stay here as financially it makes a lot more sense but I want my children to have roots and experience the culture and beauty of Ireland. Also, having a bit of religion in their lives would be nice! The oldest guy is very keen to move, the younger not so much. I'm worried though about whether he and indeed his younger brother will 'fit in' after being away so long. They've lost their accents now and have been used to such a different lifestyle I'm afraid they will stand out and struggle to settle. Id love to hear from others who have made the move please. We intend putting him in a country school. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Op I lived in the Middle East for years and moved back here when I split up with my ex husband - my daughter was 12 and due to start secondary school. She absolutely hated it!! She has a different accent completely and just didn't fit in at all. She stayed 2 years and then went back to live with her father and went back into her old school. My son was 6 and he found it difficult to fit in but the did and loves it here now (going into 5th year now).

Roots, culture, beauty and religion aren't all they are cracked up to be! My kids - like yours - benefitted from a huge range of experience that a lot of kids here haven't and never will. I know it's difficult missing out on a lot of occasions when you live abroad - that's one thing that I struggled with - however when you live here there aren't that many!

Just my 2 euros (dinars, riyals) worth. I really would think carefully before making the leap

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Startagain2010

Thanks Dovies. That's exactly what I'm afraid of :( We are thinking of me going home with the children for the first year, see how everything goes, then DH will follow. At least that way we have the option of coming back easily if needs be. My oldest does want to move back. Can I ask was your daughter in a private school or state? I'm thinking if they were in a private school there would be a bigger mix of kids and the transition may be easier but then that means fees ! So hard to know whats best for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

She was in a state school and made some lovely friends - still keeps in touch with them now - but just didn't settle. The system is different and she was just used to her 'other' life and friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thanks Dovies. That's exactly what I'm afraid of :( We are thinking of me going home with the children for the first year, see how everything goes, then DH will follow. At least that way we have the option of coming back easily if needs be. My oldest does want to move back. Can I ask was your daughter in a private school or state? I'm thinking if they were in a private school there would be a bigger mix of kids and the transition may be easier but then that means fees ! So hard to know whats best for us all.

There's probably far more social mix in a non fee paying school TBH. Private schools here tend to be relgious in nature, screening out those not of the faith, single sex and mean only those (with a few scholarship exceptions) who can afford to drop a few thousand every year can attend. If I was looking for a broader mix I'd be looking into co-ed public schools first.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'm gonna start by just saying I'm not a parent and I am in secondary school at the moment. However I do know a lot of people who moved back to Ireland for secondary school.

A few of them are in the school I am currently in which is a state school and they all have integrated fine. Only one of them does Irish as they continued learning while they were abroad and most came form the international curriculum. I can assume it was a big shock going from class sizes of 10 to 30 but they all adjusted well and have done fine so far.

I also know a few in private schools which I would agree would most likely suit your children better as the you will most likely have some foregin nationals and also Irish people sent home to study. A private boarding school would also allow you and your partner to stay where you are. I would advise that you think a lot about the schools you choose and talk to them about what you are doing. Most can also provide a breakdown of their students as well ie. Sent home to study, foreign nationals etc and also by nationality. This may also help your sons networking if they wish to stay in Ireland after finishing their education.

Another option would be to send your children to an international school in Ireland where they would study the international curriculum and would be most likely to be with pupils in the same position as them. This would also be the least shock to their systems I would say regarding the changing of curriculums.

Another thing I will say is talk to your sons about it and include them in the decision. If one of them wants to come and the other doesn't you can send the one that does if that's what he really wants.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that bored_lad. Very valuable information and very encouraging to hear others are moving back and doing fine :) Boarding not an option....none of us keen on it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

If you want them to have a bit of religion in their lives that is totally in your hands. I don't agree with schools having anything to do with the teaching of religion to a child, I think that is a parents job, and hope that some day the schools of Ireland (in general) catch up with that.

We are overseas as well but, in Australia, our oldest is only 7 but, he would hate to go back to school in Ireland, he has such opportunities here, the lifestyle is great and he has an Australian accent.

Don't let culture or religion make the decisions for you. Both of those are up to you if you want them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Whatever about culture and religion - I think you need to think about your child's future - where would he get a better education? Where would he go to college / university? Would an Irish education or an International/British education give him a better choice of 3rd level education? If he got his leaving cert in Ireland, is that recognised in the Middle East?
    5 years is a long time for a child his age, I would imagine he is well settle in the Middle East at this stage and you want to move him for that length of time again away from it all. Do you go home to Ireland much and for long? How do they get on in Ireland

Sorry Sunny, I only saw this now. We do go home regularly. They are in the British Curriculum and I do not like many aspects of it. They really push the kids even at a young age. It's not as solid as the Irish System at all. I believe an Irish Education is more valuable. Lots of people send their kids home to board when they hit secondary. Currently, if you're not in the system for 3 years prior to applying for third level, you're charged international fees. I.

Oops! They get on great in Ireland. They love the countryside and farming background that I am from. We struggle with the heat here for over half the year. We are all bored of the life style here and are ready for a change :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement