Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Condensation

• 28-02-2010 7:01pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Right,sister got 05 mk v golf yesterday......Fogging up inside really bad...Before anyone says anything its not coolant on the windows.Does anyone know whats causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well condensation is just warm air hitting a cold surface. It's most likely just normal.

Aside from that the obvious things would be a cabin leak(test with a hose), the vents or the pollen filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Did you leave something in it that was wet?

I did that and I got horrible condensation afterwards.

A take away tray half full of table salt once every two days for twice or three times depending on how bad it is will do the trick. Place one at the foot well and/or back seat.

Also, on the next drive bake the car. Full on heat and set the vent selector to footwell and dash board vents.

After a while of that open a window or at the end of the trip have both doors open to let the damp air out.

That should clear it all up. If it comes back though it could be a leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Check the carpets and see if they are damp.

If they are the drain ports under the window scuttle gets blocked and lets water in the heater vent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

If it has a pollen filter, check that it doesn't need changing. Had this problem on a Fiat a while back. Basically the pollen filter was completely clogged causing little or no aire to come into the cabin from outsdie. The air was continuously recycling and causing very bad condensation.

Pollen filters should be changed at least once a year, but some mechanics/dealerships don't do them unless they're specifically asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

if the car was not being used for a while especialy outside it might just be damp inside ,try using it for a few days and see if it improves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Im with the pollen filter suggestion here too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Im with the pollen filter suggestion here too.

is it hard to get at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

pajero12 wrote: »
    is it hard to get at?

It's at the bottom of this page.

http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2006/08/20k-swonick.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Looks to be in the same postion as my wife's Audi A2. Easy to get out, but was a bugger to get back in IIRC. Take your time, it's worth the trouble if it solves your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Another favourite source of dampness/condensation in vehicles is a blocked or disconnected drain tube on the air conditioning.
    I don't know if that applies to your particular car, but it might be worth bearing in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

I had similar problem recently and I did the following.

Air out the car, particularly today we have a bright sunny day, open all doors, open the boot and take out carpet, spare tyre and tools. Clean in around there if its damp. While you are at it, give the car a good old vacuum.

In my case, the spare tyre well was damp as was the boot carpet, I took it in overnight and dried it out. This solved my problem and my car has been completely dry ever since.

dnme wrote: »
    I had similar problem recently and I did the following.

Air out the car, particularly today we have a bright sunny day, open all doors, open the boot and take out carpet, spare tyre and tools. Clean in around there if its damp. While you are at it, give the car a good old vacuum.

In my case, the spare tyre well was damp as was the boot carpet, I took it in overnight and dried it out. This solved my problem and my car has been completely dry ever since.

The salt idea fixed all that for me. I had a saturated boot carpet, as if someone had a hose in it. Salt cleared it all up in two days and feck all effort haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Be cautious with salt. Salt corrodes metal, even if you're just putting it on the carpets, it will, without your help, get on the seat rails, etc. Rice is a much better option. Rice absorbs moisture like nothing I've ever seen.

Be cautious with salt. Salt corrodes metal, even if you're just putting it on the carpets, it will, without your help, get on the seat rails, etc. Rice is a much better option. Rice absorbs moisture like nothing I've ever seen.

Do you mean if you leave salt in a car and not touching the metal? I think you misunderstand. I dont pour the salt onto the carpet. I keep it in a take away tray to let it do its thing.

I havent tried the rice, though the salt was pretty quick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The problem with salt, is that it's lightweight, and some of the sodium chloride particles are microscopic, so as soon as you have a gust of wind (Opening the door/turning on the air blower/opening a window/throwing a bag into the back seat) the stuff just gets everywhere. It's a bad idea to use salt anywhere on a car, for anything.

The problem with salt, is that it's lightweight, and some of the sodium chloride particles are microscopic, so as soon as you have a gust of wind (Opening the door/turning on the air blower/opening a window/throwing a bag into the back seat) the stuff just gets everywhere. It's a bad idea to use salt anywhere on a car, for anything.

I get ya. I only did it over night so anything like that was very minimal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

bbk wrote: »
    Did you leave something in it that was wet?

I did that and I got horrible condensation afterwards.

A take away tray half full of table salt once every two days for twice or three times depending on how bad it is will do the trick. Place one at the foot well and/or back seat.

Also, on the next drive bake the car. Full on heat and set the vent selector to footwell and dash board vents.

After a while of that open a window or at the end of the trip have both doors open to let the damp air out.

That should clear it all up. If it comes back though it could be a leak.

This worked a treat....
    Thanks bbk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

An ill fitting pollen filter cover will cause water ingress. Using salt any any other similar remedy is curing the symptom rather than the disease. You need to determine why the water/moisture is getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet - OP, is the car drawing in fresh air, or is the a/c set to reciriculate?

If it is set to recirculate, that's your problem and set it to draw in fresh air (if set to recirculate, the air becomes trapped in the car and becomes saturated from human breath)

If the car is set to draw in frest air, you have water in the car somewhere, and then try the other suggestions posted elsewhere.

For me, the heater on full with open windows works a treat for drying a car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I agree with crosstownk. You arent fixing the problem with salt - just alleviating the symptoms.
    I would guess that its the pollen filter - generally these are never changed. Any air coming into your car is sucked through the pollen filter, so if its blocked your not getting fresh air into the car.
    Second would be blocked drain hole at the front of the car. Other possibility could be a cracked or worn door seal.

Btw I would use those gel packs bags that you get in shoe boxes rather than salt - they do the same thing but less messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

Correct. Silica Gel nodules are cheap and can be reused after by gentle heating. They are designed as a desiccant and work better than all the above salt/rice , plus they're non corrosive, non toxic and don't rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

trellheim wrote: »
    Correct. Silica Gel nodules are cheap and can be reused after by gentle heating. They are designed as a desiccant and work better than all the above salt/rice , plus they're non corrosive, non toxic and don't rot.
    Where can it be bought in the kind of quantity you'd need?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I've seen it advertsed on camping and caravanning websites, you can get it in 500g, 750g, and 1kg bags.

There's a reusable bag that can be reactivated by low baking for an hour, which is a bit kinda on the pocket.

This crowd ship to Ireland. http://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/dehumidifiers.html

Advertisement