Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which chest excercise first?

• 08-02-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

so I was thinking about this the other day. on chest day I normally started with the chest press machine and start around 50kg and go up to 65kg. I found it good to warm me up a bit for a first exercise.
    then I would move onto the bench press (50kg). next I would do dumbbell flat bench press( starting with 17.5 and finish with 25kgs in each hand) Then move onto db flys and cable cross overs.

sometimes when I finish I would go back to the chest press machine but would only be able for 40kg at most as I would be shagged.
    What I am wondering is am I waisting too much energy at the start on the chest press (could do 6 sets on it). would the bench or dumbells be better to start off with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Personally I always start on the bench as it's the most taxing on the arms. I start off light for a warm up then move up as my arms start to feel "stronger". I then just so alternate sets for other exercises, like do one set on the chest machine, do one set of db flys then back to the chest machine and I do this till i have 3 or 4 sets done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

In my opinion if you're comfortably doing 6 sets (im guessing 10-15 reps?) Its time to seriously up the weight to bring yourself to around 3-5 sets with 8-10 reps.

Rotate chest exercises as you see fit I suppose, dont neglect fly's over presses and vice versa etc etc. I love flys but hate presses but it has to be done I suppose.

Imo I think there are better and quicker ways to warm up than 6 sets of machine chest pressing.

Edit: I wouldnt go too hard on the triceps starting off, once they're worn out you're pretty much fecked for hitting the chest hard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What's your full program?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement