Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD - A question....

• 26-05-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few people mention this DVD. Thinking of buying it as reports have been good here and on other websites.
    I just have a query for anyone who has used it - I'm living on the second floor in an apartment block.... Am I going to generate lots of noise working out to it? I mean, I don't wanna be pounding the floor constantly with poor neighbour underneath! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

Hi twirlagig

I got this DVD after reading some good reviews and am now half way through Level 3, having survived Levels 1 and 2 :D I'd recommend it, I've lost both weight and inches since I starting doing it (I'm also trying to eat healthily & I do a kettlebell class once a week so can't fully put it down to 30DS).

I live in a house so no downstairs neighbours but I have wooden floors and didn't want to make lots of noise stomping around. It's mostly the cardio bit that could be noisy. I do the workout in my socks rather than with runners on and I have an exercise mat for lying on for the abs work -doubt the neighbours can hear a peep.

Hope that helps, and good luck getting shredded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 caterpillar101

@ twirlagig: I used to do this in an upstairs room with wooden floors wearing runners. I did the cardio stuff on a thin mat to cut down on noise and nothing could be heard from downstairs. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

RosieP wrote: »
    I have wooden floors ..... I do the workout in my socks
    :eek:

Last time I did exercise in socks on a wooden floor, I got lamped off the wardrobe!! :o

Is it as ruthless as I've heard some say? I'll be panned out after 10 mins! :D

Thanks also @caterpillar - kinda excited about getting it! Ordering over the weekend now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

It is tough but you do very quickly get better at it - I saw a difference in my stamina when I got to about day 4, than at the very beginning. At the start it's all new and you're trying to follow this new routine and move about and breathe and try not keel over :D Think as you get used to the moves it gets easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but i was just curious to know how everyone got on with this fitness dvd? I'm starting it tomorrow - is it worth it and does it genuinely deliver on its promise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xoaudhep

I'm starting it tomorrow too..fingers crossed it doesn't kill me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I did it a year ago. Got through Level 1 pretty well, but then damaged ankle very badly with the jumping about moves and haven't gone back to it since.

I always seem to gain weight quickly with these workouts but I seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I started this today - can feel my arms starting to ache now.... :/
    Gotta keep it up though!!

@xoaudhep How did you get on?

I struggled a bit during it, I just felt like I looked stupid doing the routines as I couldn't copy them exactly. My legs have been achy all day but nothing too bad! I'm not really looking forward to doing it tomorrow :(

xoaudhep wrote: »
    I struggled a bit during it, I just felt like I looked stupid doing the routines as I couldn't copy them exactly. My legs have been achy all day but nothing too bad! I'm not really looking forward to doing it tomorrow :(

it's the pain in the morning that i know i'm gonna feel that's bothering me :(
    plus i'm working at 13 hr shift in work afterwards so it's really not appealing to me at all lol

• Advertisement

My legs killed me this morning! I could barely get up and down the stairs and when I got up out a chair or sat down I was like an old granny!

My legs killed me this morning! I could barely get up and down the stairs and when I got up out a chair or sat down I was like an old granny!

did you manage to complete the workout or have you given the day a miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I remember the first time I did it I was in bits the next day too.

Fyi - The first time I did it I did every 2nd day and still saw results. I did each level 10 times over 60 days.

did you manage to complete the workout or have you given the day a miss?

I had to give the second day a miss as I wasn't at home all day! But I'm determined to do it again today even though my legs are still killing me!

I wonder will it make them feel worse or better? I'll report back!

Update: OW

Was hard at the start because my legs were so sore but felt good then halfway through. Was hard then again at the end but didn't feel as wrecked as when I did it the first time!

Now my legs are seriously sore...tomorrow morning aint gonna be fun!

I'm not feeling as sore today so gonna try and get the workout in later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Good luck everyone, I lost 15lbs and a lot of inches on this in May. Went on holiday in June and gained it all back but thinking about shredding again soon :)

Update: OW

Was hard at the start because my legs were so sore but felt good then halfway through. Was hard then again at the end but didn't feel as wrecked as when I did it the first time!

Now my legs are seriously sore...tomorrow morning aint gonna be fun!

I clearly didn't see the update when I posted lol!
    I'm gonna do mine in an hour or so.... I'll keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Does this DVD also come with a diet plan? Surely you can't shred without a proper diet plan?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Does this DVD also come with a diet plan? Surely you can't shred without a proper diet plan?

Nope mine didn't anyway. I think it just assumes that if your doing the work out every day then your gonna attempt to eat a fairly good diet? It doesn't actually mention food at all during it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

How can you 'shred' without severely altering diet?

You wouldn't need to "severely" alter your diet. Simply reducing portion sizes and cutting out the crap would be enough combined with doing the exercise every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 traveller80

Hey...thinking of doing this too. I know they use dumbbells in it...just wondering, would i be able to do it with kettlebells? I have a couple of kbells, so i'd rather not have to go out and buy dumbbells as well.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hey...thinking of doing this too. I know they use dumbbells in it...just wondering, would i be able to do it with kettlebells? I have a couple of kbells, so i'd rather not have to go out and buy dumbbells as well.

thanks

The poster above nailed this - its a load of rubbish. Gillian looks seriously unhealthy herself, how anyone can listen to her is beyond me.

Its as simple as this - either get some advice on here, or get a REPUTABLE personal trainer.
    Personally I'd advise you to do some proper weight-lifting, do a metcon or two a week, a cardio day and clean up your diet.

Unless you are very strong or your kettlebells are very small I think it would be too much. I used 2.5 kg dumbells and it was challenging, even though I'm used to heavier weights in the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Methven

"Gillian looks seriously unhealthy herself, how anyone can listen to her is beyond me"

I would LOVE to look as 'unhealthy' as Jillian Michaels!!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

how on earth can you say jillian micheals is unhealthy looking ? shes toned, fit and gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 funbaro

Just wanted to add my thoughts on the 30 Day Shred as I've been a fan of this DVD for quite some time. I discovered this DVD three years ago and got in the best shape of my life by doing Level 2 and Level 3 back-to-back three times a week. I also used to add in two 10K runs. I was eating a super clean protein-rich diet during this time.

There's a reason why this DVD has been a bestseller on Amazon.com for the past few years: it gets results. It now has a cult-like following in the U.S. I have all of the DVDs from the JM series and also recommend her latest DVD Ripped in 30 which includes a 30 day meal plan.

Methven wrote: »
    "Gillian looks seriously unhealthy herself, how anyone can listen to her is beyond me"

I would LOVE to look as 'unhealthy' as Jillian Michaels!!!!:D

Maybe he's mixing her up with Gillian McKeith?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Methven

Ha Ha!! That must be it!!! :D. Bit of a difference alright!

Advertisement