Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Semi Private Charges as of 1st July 2010

Options
  • 01-02-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have been looking into the charges to the patient when going semi private.

According to the National Maternity Hospital Webiste there is a charge of €900 for Antenatal visits as of 1st July 2010

Semi-private Consultants Fee:
    Antenatal visits …………………... €900.00 (Payable by Patient)
    Normal Delivery ………………….. €298.00 (Aviva/VHI/Quinn pay in full)
    Caesarean Section ………………… €445.00 (Aviva/VHI/Quinn pay in full)

Does any one know if these are covered by VHI. I have been waiting on the phone for VHI for the last 20 mins. I would of thought the Health insurer would cover these Charges

While Public is free.

Also is the much of a difference between public and private as in queue wise for these visits, The delivery etc....

Link:
    http://www.nmh.ie/iopen24/pub/finance/Mat%20Charges.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

It depends what plan you are on what VHI will cover. I know on Plan B they say they will cover the delivery, plus a certain amount of time in a private or semi- private room in a public hospital.

Their website is quite good for outlining what they will and won't cover.

I don't think they cover any consultants fees (or a very minimal amount) when it comes to pregnancy, but even if they don't cover any of the consultants fees, you or your OH can claim some back from PRSI (I think it's a Med1 form).

I opted for semi- private and am thinking of changing before I've even had my first appoitnment! The only difference seems to be that there might be more of a wait on the day of the appointment, and that you are not guaranteed to see the same consultant each time. (IMO, the less I see of a consultant the better, obviously unless it's required! Midwives all the way!)

As fair as waiting for delivery- it's as the babies come rather than as the patients hand over their VHI card!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The 900 is the vhi excess and what you pay.
    Then check you vhi policy and see how much it says for antenatal eg mine is 500.
    You can claim this 500 back and then claim the 400 balance against your med 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

I have health insurance with Aviva & they have great maternity benifits. But in conjunction with Aviva, following birth on average how much would I owe if going private or semi private. Between the 2 would there be any huge difference in what I would have to pay... Thanks in advance ;)

Advertisement