Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote connection help

• 07-04-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I thought I was somewhat tech savvy but it appears not :D

Basically I have a KNX network at home which I installed bit by bit over the last few years. It's an electrical open protocol system that works very well. I'm now at the stage of setting up a visualisation system for it called ComfortClick. I've managed to install the server software, configuration software, client software without a problem. They're talking to each other and I can control the system with the client software and a web browser while on my home network. The great thing about this software is it has full functionality for free for the first hour after uploading the configuration file to the server which suits me perfectly.

Now I'd like to be able to control the system from a web browser or from their iPhone app while away from my home network. Now this is where my knowledge lets me down! What I've figured is this is probably configured in my router, which is Draytech Vigor 2910VG. Also as we're rural I only have O2 which I've also figured is a problem cause of a dynamic IP address. So if anyone can point me at a tutorial or offer help (in layman's language) on how to get a static IP address and configure my router I'd be forever grateful. Any other advice would be also gratefully received if I've come to any incorrect assumptions!
    Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

There is some information Here
    But you might have seen that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im assuming this is o2 3G and not o2 Business DSL. If thats the case then you'll have issues as its not a pinned up connection most likely (draytek might be able to cause a keepalive).

They wont give you a static IP as 3G isnt designed for this kind of application and they dont want hosted systems on the platform. That said you could make it work if its just for the odd bit of access now and then.

You'll need a Dynamic DNS service account to always know your IP. The big players are DynDNS and No-iP. Dyn used to be free, No-IP still is (login every 30 days to renew it) Your router (source http://www.manualslib.com/manual/229475/Draytek-Vigor-2910.html?page=95 ) supports: The router provides up to three accounts from three different DDNS service providers. Basically, Vigor routers are compatible with the DDNS services supplied by most popular DDNS service providers such as www.dyndns.org, www.no-ip.com, www.dtdns.com, www.changeip.com, www.dynamic- nameserver.com. You should visit their websites to register your own domain name for the router.

I use no-ip, would strongly recommend. You should be able to get a discount code, I paid $20 for 20 hosts for a year. So cheap its worth it to not use free version.

When you have your Dynamic DNS setup a name you pick like neilc.no-ip.com or whatever will always point to your own IP no matter how often it changes (give or take 30 seconds each time it does).

The second step is to open a port to the web interface you need access to. If its a web page then its probably 80 or 443. The iphone app probably uses its own port. The manual should tell you which. Make sure your accounts are secure (good passwords) as these will then be open to the web so it can become a security issue if they can access you that way. Also make sure the host machine is up to date and properly secured.

Oh, and make sure the host within your network has a static IP(a local static, different to your public ip) so you can forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

Great information, thank you, will take me time to get my head around.
    Might be back with another couple of questions. Yeah is 3G btw.

Advertisement