Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mikrotik Bandwidth Issue

• 07-04-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I have a RB951G-2HnD Routerboard and it's running fine apart from some bandwidth issues. We have a 200mb UPC link and when I run a speedtest over the wifi I only get around 6-10mb upload and download. If I connect a Laptop directly to the UPC router I get over 100mbs. Any settings I need to look at on the routerboard and what speeds should I hope to be seeing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Are you sure you're on a clean channel, do a scan and make sure it's well away from the frequency of any other. Set wireless to 20/40 HT above and make sure distance is set to indoors in advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dextor03

Sound, will check it out today and let you know if it improves,

Another thing, make sure you're on v6.11 version of Router OS, v6.x brings about many improvements and performance gains over v5.x. I have no problem hitting 100mbit+ transfer rates to my laptop in the same room as my RB951
    http://www.mikrotik.com/download

Another thing, make sure you're on v6.11 version of Router OS, v6.x brings about many improvements and performance gains over v5.x. I have no problem hitting 100mbit+ transfer rates to my laptop in the same room as my RB951
    http://www.mikrotik.com/download

Upgraded to v6.11 version of router OS and checked setting as described in your first post. Will test tonight and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Still only getting about 5mb when running a speedtest over the wifi. Getting 80mb + running with cat 5. Going to do a bit of digging online. Might update the firmware too. Any other suggestions welcome! Cheers for the help so far.

• Advertisement

dextor03 wrote: »
    Still only getting about 5mb when running a speedtest over the wifi. Getting 80mb + running with cat 5. Going to do a bit of digging online. Might update the firmware too. Any other suggestions welcome! Cheers for the help so far.

Out and about so can't access winbox.
    You have it set to b/g/n and not b only? Can you see the rate of the connected device as you run a speed test? Have you tried connecting another device or phone, there is a speedtest app.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, try setting it to 802.11N only and testing. That'll disconnect any slow devices that might be bringing you down to their level.

Advertisement