Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 20 - League and cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'm considering selling my entire 'first team' squad, and essentially starting again from the bottom up. I figure I could get at least 10-15 Million for the better guys from my XV if I sell at the right time of the season. Obviously It'd mean several relegations, along with a massive dive in supporter contentment. But I figure my good guys are getting older, and in reality, they're not going to win me anything big.

Am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

having a woeful season - not getting these tactics at all! :(

need to survive and rebuild team and figure out these tactics per a quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

daheff wrote: »
    A lot of this is going to be down to how your fixtures fall. Mine look to be nice :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have the bot before play-offs, so if I manage to make the play-offs then it's great, but otherwise I'm running as per usual.
    Gidea wrote: »
    That pesky bot is still ahead of me :o

It's looking bad alright, but you've two home matches and a bot. Munster already have their bot 5, so, there is that slim chance. Plus you last match is home against Monivea. They're so far ahead they're going to be putting out a 2nds and playing WNWIM before the play-offs. Battai will probably be up there too so will def WNWIM you. Munster are going to have to play the top two teams away and the lower teams will be fighting for a playoff spot so won't go easy. It is doable maybe. Unlikely, but, ya never know.
    eoferrall wrote: »
    having a woeful season - not getting these tactics at all! :(

need to survive and rebuild team and figure out these tactics per a quarter!

Sometimes I think I've completely got them, other times they back fire horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

FewFew wrote: »
    It's looking bad alright, but you've two home matches and a bot. Munster already have their bot 5, so, there is that slim chance. Plus you last match is home against Monivea. They're so far ahead they're going to be putting out a 2nds and playing WNWIM before the play-offs. Battai will probably be up there too so will def WNWIM you. Munster are going to have to play the top two teams away and the lower teams will be fighting for a playoff spot so won't go easy. It is doable maybe. Unlikely, but, ya never know.

TBH I don't have the patience to get going in division 2, i'll get relegated and cruise at the top of a div 3 league, but this is my second time getting slapped around in div2. Someday i'll be a decent
    div2 when all my home grown players start becoming monsters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

won today with normal against ltnt away from home drew in the earlier match
    so my tactics must have been better or i understand them better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

My paddypower betting tip for the season, Ormond to win the cup. In fact i believe i had him shortlisted as early as last season for it!

Gidea wrote: »
    TBH I don't have the patience to get going in division 2, i'll get relegated and cruise at the top of a div 3 league, but this is my second time getting slapped around in div2. Someday i'll be a decent
    div2 when all my home grown players start becoming monsters ;)

Your junior squad is actually doing really well in the junior league, so I wouldn't doubt it. I know I had to sell off my YA to keep surviving in Div 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

top of the league top of the league top of the league
    woo the dannys

seanand wrote: »
    top of the league top of the league top of the league
    woo the dannys

Surprised Droichead Nua are so low. Though maybe I have them confused with another team.

Would like to see Ponyo avoid relegation. Those chaps need a good win or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

Ya they use to be div2 anyway def remember them being big fish when I started.

Ya but he's a small fish relegation might do him well.

Anyway still top the league after a 31-29 away win but after knocking dafirm out of no.2 spot if got the current no.2 so fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Coming fourth with 3 games to go. If I could steal a play off spot in HK Div I this would be a hugely successful season.

Damn, forgot to set tactics due to Christmas nonsense. Terrible aul result, think I have to wave goodbye to playoff chances now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Damn, forgot to set tactics due to Christmas nonsense. Terrible aul result, think I have to wave goodbye to playoff chances now.

Losing to Monivea? not terrible..?

Batai had a bad week...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

crisco10 wrote: »

Batai had a bad week...

Playoffs will be tough to get to this year. MWSG have perfect energy (how did you manage that one Crisco? :rolleyes: )

Batai losing is a big shock (no offence Munster)

Playoffs will be tough to get to this year. MWSG have perfect energy (how did you manage that one Crisco? :rolleyes: )

Just the way the fixtures fell. Munster, Gideons and Bot (i.e. the bottom 3) the past 3 weeks. Allowed me to rotate heavily (even played my trainees!) FRF energy is pretty good too! :rolleyes:

Really could fall anyway between MWSAG, FRF, Batai, CSDS for 2nd to 4th.

Incidentally, what is with our league and the crazy long names??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I am currently in a battle for fourth in Div I in Hong Kong. Next season I will be blooding and beginning the training of a new prop and second row. They will require a good few games if they are to have any hope of breaking into the first squad. If I don't make the top four I am considering throwing my play off match. My logic would be that the money I lose in sponsorship I could make up in prizemoney by winning the league. It would make it very easy to play my weak young players and I could have a real shot at the cup.

Would it be worthwhile doing or should I stick in Div I?

The permutations for div 1 has my head fried!! For the first time this season ive felt the need to LTNT a league game simply as losing would have me in all kinds of trouble yet even getting a win today still leaves me in a difficult position depending on other results. And even if the other results do go my way i'm still not safe!! :( Next 3 games are gonna be tense.

The permutations for div 1 has my head fried!! For the first time this season ive felt the need to LTNT a league game simply as losing would have me in all kinds of trouble yet even getting a win today still leaves me in a difficult position depending on other results. And even if the other results do go my way i'm still not safe!! :( Next 3 games are gonna be tense.

Same in my division II, first time since the season I have been promoted I am battling against the drop :(

could be one of a few teams in the bottom two (one guaranteed already) and we're all playing each other. every point counts.

I'm really struggling with the tactics on zonal currently. can't seem to find a good balance.

Gelio wrote: »
    I am currently in a battle for fourth in Div I in Hong Kong. Next season I will be blooding and beginning the training of a new prop and second row. They will require a good few games if they are to have any hope of breaking into the first squad. If I don't make the top four I am considering throwing my play off match. My logic would be that the money I lose in sponsorship I could make up in prizemoney by winning the league. It would make it very easy to play my weak young players and I could have a real shot at the cup.

Would it be worthwhile doing or should I stick in Div I?

Stick with Div 1, there will be chances to play the trainees at a certain point and they will get more ingame from the better teams. you will only stagnate if you drop and loiter about. it is what I did a few seasons ago and took me a while to get back up.

Sh*t, this isnt going well. 8 points down with 10 mins left.

Well that was embarrassing in the end, got riddled. I'm kinda fucked i think!

• Advertisement

Batai had a bad week...

Nah, I was planning on either putting out my seconds on WNWIM, or TNTing with my firsts. The way it turned out had my firsts losing energy, my 2nds getting no IGT and me getting a loss. Poo.

Yeah. I thought Munster were getting serious, so I was afraid for today. I put my seconds out, but had about 40 subs conditions to make sure I could bring my firsts on. Thankfully I didn't need them and got the BP win with 2nds alone.

Very close once again in the league, both for securing a playoff spot and for avoiding Monivea early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭greyhound1973

oooh yes Few ,you must avoid monivea at all cost ,but someone has to play me in the final,LOL

oooh yes Few ,you must avoid monivea at all cost ,but someone has to play me in the final,LOL

Sure Battai can munch down on ya when the time comes. Or MWSAG, sure they already have the win :)

Sure Battai can munch down on ya when the time comes. Or MWSAG, sure they already have the win :)

Don't you mean Front Row Fairies? They are the topplers of Monivea this season..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Don't you mean Front Row Fairies? They are the topplers of Monivea this season..

shush

i was trying to fly under the radar!!!!

Anyways, I reckon who ever wins our league has a great chance of promotion this year. 3 of 4 will be promoted (as Ruffians are going to go bot). One unlucky league winner will have to playoff against a real life div 1 team!

Ah, I was trying to remember who it was. Too lazy to check out the fixtures :P
    shush

i was trying to fly under the radar!!!!

Anyways, I reckon who ever wins our league has a great chance of promotion this year. 3 of 4 will be promoted (as Ruffians are going to go bot). One unlucky league winner will have to playoff against a real life div 1 team!

Wow, so Monivea could actually get back up?

Wow, so Monivea could actually get back up?

Yep cause i finally paid the price for a long cup run by being relegated today. the points lost during the cup have finally caught up with me. Was hoping results would go my way today so i could rescue it next wk but no, every result went against me.

At least i should have a really good chance at retaining the cup next season.

Pretty gutted though.

Ltnt fewi?! Cheeky bastard. And u almost snatched a draw!

Yep cause i finally paid the price for a long cup run by being relegated today. the points lost during the cup have finally caught up with me. Was hoping results would go my way today so i could rescue it next wk but no, every result went against me.

At least i should have a really good chance at retaining the cup next season.

Pretty gutted though.

Harsh, hopefully you bounce right back up!

Looks like I will be relegated from Div II this season which I am gutted about, season ago I was easy top 4.

but silver lining: will be able to give the cup a solid go from div III! not going to help me work out the zonal tactics unfortunately.

But sure that's the game - adapt or be destroyed!

• Advertisement

Ltnt fewi?! Cheeky bastard. And u almost snatched a draw!

Nearly snatched a win more like :(

Although... I didn't watch the end of the match. I actually thought you hammered me. Hate close scores like that, makes every single tactical decision seem to count more. Should have done more work, but threw out a solid team and hoped to make a dent.

That's me out of the play-offs anyway. Although I wish Munster could take on FRF, I don't hugely fancy their chances (though I can hope.)

Advertisement