Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Vertakill, check this out - at least it confirms installation differences even between 64bit Win 7 versions (Pro v's Ultimate), and that it's very unlikely to be any other AF90** rogue chipset. He resolved it with a Leadtek driver:

http://blog.rhysgoodwin.com/htpc/10-usb-dvb-t-receiver-review/

As did Log-on on pg.7 of this thread:
    Log-on wrote: »
    i got my usb from buy in coins today, wouldnt work at all untill i found a link to a driver and downloaded it then searched for channels in wmc and it picked them up

http://www.leadtek.com/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=217&downline=WinFast+DTV+Dongle+Gold

:)

enjoy

64bit Leadteks here: http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/search.asp?keyword=WinFast+DTV+Dongle+&imageField.x=5&imageField.y=7

If they don't work I'd try and install one or both dongles on an XP system just to confirm if they're faulty or not ... and preserve what's left of your sanity in the process ;)

Other potential leads if it turns out the damn things work:

Someone had success on the previous USB DVB-T thread with these:
    http://www.digittrade.de/shop/shop_content.php/coID/9

There are a couple of MS approved Win7 driver "updates" (a 32bit & 64bit AMD) for the IT9135:
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=IT9135%20BDA%20Device%20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Thanks NTC.

Cheers for the input styron - much appreciated.
    I think I've seen and downloaded that Leadtek driver already on my searches but I cant remember what outcome I had!

Unfortunately I've no XP machines at home anymore - everythings on Win7! :(

I'll give it another shot once I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Shanegggg

Drivers tried to far:

Winfast DVB Dual Dongle Device
    WinFast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device
    AF9035 BDA DEVICE
    AF9015 BDA DEVICE

Pretty much convinced now mines DOA and not really bothered in wasting more time on the sh@gging thing! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Shanegggg, whatever about WIN7 64bit - if on XP device manager is clear (no exclamation or question marks) and Media Center recognises the tuner, scans without hanging as it was before but picks up nothing - I'd still try and hook it up to the outside aerial.

The supplied aerial is basically a line of sight to the mast job - with some signal boost from attaching to metal:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102329

Some have managed without an adapter, to fit the base into an aerial socket by unscrewing the rod and pushing the brass thread of the base into it ... or wrapping the bare coax cable around it ... or cutting the rod aerial cable and joining the wires together:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076074&page=24

For others attaching it to a big fridge or just packing the base behind the magnet with a ball of copper wire was sufficient for a signal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64205339@N02/5845943554/in/photostream/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72839616

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Got mine at start of last week. On first use it was recognised in windows 7 and then it must have burnt out a chip or something as it doesn't show up anywhere (4 computers) under any operating system (xp, 7, OSX, Ubuntu) as even being plugged into the computer.

Emailed buyincoins 3 times now, emails received by them but no response yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

selephonic wrote: »
    Got mine at start of last week. On first use it was recognised in windows 7 and then it must have burnt out a chip or something as it doesn't show up anywhere (4 computers) under any operating system (xp, 7, OSX, Ubuntu) as even being plugged into the computer.

Emailed buyincoins 3 times now, emails received by them but no response yet.

Does dmesg in a terminal (Ubuntu) give you any information?

Some info should show up immediately after plugging in the device.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Mine is recognised but the firmware download fails, even on using the 3.2 kernel (in which support was added to the kernel).

Must dig into the source when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Yep, not a dicky bird, stick is definitely dead.

selephonic wrote: »
    Yep, not a dicky bird, stick is definitely dead.

bummer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Not really sure what I'm doing wrong...

I plugged it in and W7 installed the "WinFast DTV Dongle Dual Device" driver.
    Started up VLC.
    Media > Open Capture device
    Capture Mode > DVB DirectShow
    DVB type > DVB-T
    Frequency > 738000 kHz
    Bandwidth > 8 Mhz
    Press play

Nothing happens

I live in Dublin city centre. My CD was blank and the MegaUpload link provided earlier has obviously been taken down by the feds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ah this thing is not worth the hastle.

Got it in mail. Tried it only W7 laptop and desktop. It works ahri. Just cant pick up any channels. Yesterday it took several hours for Windows Media Centre to scan for channels. After that it stopped working and it asked me to scan the channels again.

I dont have any more time for this. Your better of paying a bit more for a decent TV receiver for a PC.

I wrote the company an email last week they didnt even get back to me.

So my conclusion is to avoid them

Yeah, I ordered two from them originally.
    Then they didn't arrive within about a month so I had given up on it and ordered a 3rd from a different seller on eBay this time.

All 3 arrived within the same week! :(

Anyways, same scenario on all 3. Installs fine on Win7 x64 using WinFast Dongle etc, WMC detects it but I get no channels... on all 3 dongles. And it takes AGES to scan as well so it's not like it's easy to test.

Gave it to my brother who lives about 40 minutes from me and he has the exact same result.
    I'd imagine you have to be sitting under the feckin soarview mast to get a signal.

Terrible little yokes.

If ye don't have a good signal going into the device what can ye expect from it?

Connect it to a 'proper UHF' aerial and then try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I installed the drivers that came with.

Launched WMC and scanned for channels and found all the FTA Saorview channels with excellent reception, using the little aerial that came with it.

I am in Waterford city.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Launched WMC and scanned for channels and found all the FTA Saorview channels with excellent reception, using the little aerial that came with it.
    I am in Waterford city.

Aka, unless you have a remarkably good signal, or an external aerial, you're screwed?

I've tried it in Celbridge, Leixlip, Lucan, Smithfield and Stephen's Green- to no avail. I give up. I can pick up DAB radio via this, but can't get a signal lock for digital tv.......

I am in Waterford city.

How long did WMC take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Baza210 wrote: »
    My CD was blank and the MegaUpload link provided earlier has obviously been taken down by the feds.

Silly Americans.
    This is an iso of my disc, I can upload just the contents later if you have trouble with it.
    http://www.Nollog.net/MyBin/DVB-T%20AAF%20(F).ISO

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've tried it under Windows and haven't been able to get anything out of it.

It works great under Linux though. I'm using the latest Linux media git, and the device will be fully supported under Linux 3.4. :)

Jonathan wrote: »
    I've tried it under Windows and haven't been able to get anything out of it.

It works great under Linux though. I'm using the latest Linux media git, and the device will be fully supported under Linux 3.4. :)

What tuner is in that device please?

What tuner is in that device please?
    ITE IT9135.

Version 1 works with Linux 3.2, but my device is Version 2 requires this patch, which is currently in linux-next for inclusion in 3.4.

• Advertisement

How long did WMC take?

To do the scan, it took maybe 5 minutes.

Jonathan wrote: »
    ITE IT9135.

Version 1 works with Linux 3.2, but my device is Version 2 requires this patch, which is currently in linux-next for inclusion in 3.4.

Thank you ;)

More details here if anyone is interested

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ITE_IT9135

To do the scan, it took maybe 5 minutes.

Okay... mine took 2 hours to get to 25% and came up with nothing. I'll try the CD software then.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Aka, unless you have a remarkably good signal, or an external aerial, you're screwed?

I've tried it in Celbridge, Leixlip, Lucan, Smithfield and Stephen's Green- to no avail. I give up. I can pick up DAB radio via this, but can't get a signal lock for digital tv.......

Same here in Leixlip!

Okay... mine took 2 hours to get to 25% and came up with nothing. I'll try the CD software then.

I think that's indicative of no signal... mine reacts in the same way and I've clearly got no signal. An aerial might be the best bet maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

Vertakill wrote: »
    Same here in Leixlip!

Havn't tried it in months - but I'm very close to Leixlip and the usb saoerview dongle worked ok when I tried it- with just the tiny antanae plugged in - It wont work when the antanae is held too close to metal - like the pc case.
    Took less 5minutes to tune in.
    Only tried it couple times - bit flakey - stopped a few times and wouldnt restart - so I gave up using it.

“Roll it back”

Vertakill wrote: »
    smccarrick wrote: »

Same here in Leixlip!

I think that's indicative of no signal... mine reacts in the same way and I've clearly got no signal. An aerial might be the best bet maybe.
    I got working with Linux. There is obviously something awry with the Windows drivers.

I thought i read somewhere on boards that Waterford City is well covered for Saorview.

I am up on a small hill overlooking the city center (Barrack Street), so the signal may be particularly good here.

The sucessful install was on my Win7 32-bit laptop. (shows up as a IT9135 BDA device) in device manager.

I tried to install the CD drivers on my Win7 64-bit machine and there was an issue in device manager.

Downloaded those 64-bit drivers from the link before and the scan goes on forever. it must be a driver issue then. I will investigate more later.

Could you upload the W32 driver? Mine shows up as WinFast and didn't work on 32 bit.

• Advertisement

Could you upload the W32 driver? Mine shows up as WinFast and didn't work on 32 bit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1468100/DrvInstall.exe

Advertisement